Author Topic: Field-grafted Mango  (Read 2222 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Field-grafted Mango
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »
After field grafts are successful, when is it best to cut off the unwanted parts of the tree?  I grafted a couple of mango seedlings that were planted in the ground late last year.  The grafts took, and I want to get rid of the shoots from the rootstock that I had kept both as a sap draw and a second chance if the grafts failed.

Looking at the photo below, is it best to cut off the ungrafted shoot (on the left) now, or wait until the graft (on the right) has grown more?  I don't want the plant to waste too much energy on the unwanted limb, but don't want to stress the plant too much either.  What is your thinking?

Thanks.   John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
Re: Field-grafted Mango
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:10:41 AM »
I friggin' love that view!!!! Oh, sorry.... Fiji was calling to me...

By the looks of those vigorous, full-sized leaves on the extra branch, it is definitely sapping the energy reserves of that little tree with the current growth flush.

On the flip side, if you want to wait for a while and have the extra branch (all those healthy leaves) build up the food reserves a bit... Have the new leaves harden, then cut it off right before the next growth flush??

Good luck and great job!!!!
✌🏽

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 11:25:46 AM »
If your sure your graft has taken, I would cut off the un-grafted side, as Chris said, lots of energy is going into growing all those new leaves on the ungrafted side, which is what you want to go towards your grafted side.

another option, is you can also put a graft on that other side, with the same variety or another, then you will have two branches already.

Have you had any growth on the grafted side yet?

I am guessing this root stock is Gomera, I have seen so many pictures of Gomera and those big purple / copper leaves, correct?

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 12:21:36 PM »
If your sure your graft has taken, I would cut off the un-grafted side, as Chris said, lots of energy is going into growing all those new leaves on the ungrafted side, which is what you want to go towards your grafted side.

another option, is you can also put a graft on that other side, with the same variety or another, then you will have two branches already.

Have you had any growth on the grafted side yet?

I am guessing this root stock is Gomera, I have seen so many pictures of Gomera and those big purple / copper leaves, correct?

All the leaves on the right branch came out of the graft in one growth flush.  The graft is nearly two months old now.

I don't know the name of the rootstock variety, but just now read a description of Gomera and it sounds close.  This rootstock  came from a huge old tree on the farm that must have survived many cyclones and droughts over the years.  Very fiberous little fruit.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk