Author Topic: Mangos similar to Edward  (Read 3294 times)

alexO

• View Profile
Mangos similar to Edward
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »
Hello all,

In addition to adding another Avocado to my collection I also want to add another mango. Recently a friend gave me a couple of Edward Mangos and they were incredible! So I would like to try and find one that has a similar taste to an Edward but that is a dwarf variety. Any Opionions are welcome.

Also, I have been doing some reading on Pickering Mangos and would also like some feedback on that particular variety.

Thanks,
Alex

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mangos similar to Edward
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 01:17:01 PM »
To address the Pickering question:  I will reiterate the same comment I made as to the avocados.  You can take any member's word for it but if you are limited on space, and have not tried it yet, I would recommend doing so before you buy and plant.  You will find many with highly positive remarks on Pickering and by the same token, you will find some with average comments.  I am the latter, while the tree has some very good characteristics, I do not find the fruit to be of exception quality.  On the other hand, I did buy one for my parents as they have very limited space and do not have to worry about trimming, disease and will have the convenience of getting fruit of a smaller sized tree.  While I have limited space, I would prefer to pick varieties of exceptional quality and utilize pruning methods to keep the size manageable.

As to the Edward:  There are very few true dwarf mangoes (and the term is relavant, are they true dwarf or dwarf when compared to a 40 foot tree).  Of the trees that will naturally grow slower and more compact, hence giving it or seeming like it has dwarf characteristics, I would say there is no dwarf mango similar to an Edward.  There are, however, many that are of similar and/or higher quality that can be maintained to a manageable size by pruning.  Again, bottom line, if you are limited on spce, I highly recommend you try the fruit before you buy and plant it.
- Rob

alexO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
bsbullie,

Thank you for your knowledgeable reply. Would you happen to know how to try some of the different varieties? I live in Ft. Pierce and even though you can grow mangos here, it is awful hard to find places that sell many different kinds.

Alex

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »
bsbullie,

Thank you for your knowledgeable reply. Would you happen to know how to try some of the different varieties? I live in Ft. Pierce and even though you can grow mangos here, it is awful hard to find places that sell many different kinds.

Alex
Unfortunately you are nearing the end of the mango season in Florida.  Currently the main remaining varieties are Kent, Keitt, Beverly and Neelam.  Depending on whats available, the only way I know of to be able to sample is take take road trips throughout the season.  With that being said, Neelam, at least I feel (and again, this is where the subjectiveism comes into play) is an outstanding mango that happens to be a smaller tree/compact grower with the benefit of being late season.  I believe Truly Tropical should have some available.  They are located in Boynton Beach however they hours of operation are extremely limited.

Truly Tropical
2750 Seacrest Blvd.
Delray Beach, FL
561-278-7754
http://delraymango.blogspot.com/

Other places to purchase mangoes in Palm Beach County:

Excalibur Rare Fruit Nursery
5200 Fearnley Road
Lake Worth, FL
561-969-6988

Zills Mangoes (open Sundays)...call for hours and available varieties.
197 SE 27th Ave.
Boynton Beach, FL 33435
561-737-9419

Merritt Island also has some growers that sell fruit however after tasting mangoes from both regions I feel over a full season you will have a greater variety and better quality fruit from South Florida (yes, those Merritt Islanders are sure to let me have it  ;) ;D :o ::) )
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 02:19:17 PM »
Alex, I think you have been hooked, and my prediction is you will have a dozen mango trees within a year or two, warning!, you have been infected by the mango collecting bug.  ;D ;D ::)   In other words you will fit in real nice with the rest of us sick puppies here in the forum.

Some of the well liked varieties by members in the forum,  Maha Chanok, Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Glenn, Nam Doc Mai, Pickering  just to name a hand full. not all these are "dwarf"  but I find that your requirement for dwarf diminishes as your mango fever increases.  :P

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

alexO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »
Tropicdude,

I have always has the mango bug, i just finnaly have my own place to plant them! I am a Ft. Pierce FL native so I have been able to have them all of my life, its just in the last few years that I have paid attention to the different varieties. I have never met a mango that I didn't like, my 3 year old daughter is the same way.

My interest in the Pickering is that it is so compact that I could plant one and not take up any room for planting more of the bigger ones. If the flavor is good it seems like a no brainer.

Thanks for the kind responses!

Alex

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »
Alex, I think you have been hooked, and my prediction is you will have a dozen mango trees within a year or two, warning!, you have been infected by the mango collecting bug.  ;D ;D ::)   In other words you will fit in real nice with the rest of us sick puppies here in the forum.

Some of the well liked varieties by members in the forum,  Maha Chanok, Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Glenn, Nam Doc Mai, Pickering  just to name a hand full. not all these are "dwarf"  but I find that your requirement for dwarf diminishes as your mango fever increases.  :P
I would add to that (in no particular order):  Southern Blush, Dot, Mallika, Cushman, Po Pyu Kalay aka PPK aka Lemon Meringue, Harvest Moon. Angie, Coc and Neelam.  A couple of others that are very good and have been known to be exceptional in many years: Florigon, Cogshall and Gary.
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »
but I find that your requirement for dwarf diminishes as your mango fever increases.  :P

Very true. Mangophilia is a progressive condition.

I would second Rob's mention of Cogshall.  It is considered a compact grower, and is a nice, full-flavored mango.

If you are eager to get started, you may want to buy a couple varieties that sound most promising to you, and put them in largish pots.  After you have tasted them next summer (courtesy of some of the vendors mentioned above)  you can decide which to plant.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk