Author Topic: Summer grafting  (Read 2191 times)

joeventra1

• Australia, NSW, Green valley
    • View Profile
Summer grafting
« on: December 27, 2019, 04:07:41 AM »
Hi all,
I'm receiving some atemoya and cherimoya scions and it's summer here in Aus. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to graft at this time of year?
Thanks

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
Re: Summer grafting
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 07:53:45 AM »
The procedure is the same any time of the year. Just keep the union dry and you should be good. Most of my failures this year was from the union getting wet.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 06:12:06 PM »
You may also need a little shade.
I have had more luck in spring than summer or fall with atemoya. Poor record of takes overall but abysmal in summer and fall.
Good luck and share your experience.

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 06:29:44 AM »
The procedure is the same any time of the year. Just keep the union dry and you should be good. Most of my failures this year was from the union getting wet.

Thanks for that. We're very dry here at the moment so don't think getting it wet will be the issue but none the less I'll keep it peotected from water

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 06:30:59 AM »
You may also need a little shade.
I have had more luck in spring than summer or fall with atemoya. Poor record of takes overall but abysmal in summer and fall.
Good luck and share your experience.

Would you recommend complete shade or say would shade under 70% shade cloth be enough? I'll let everyone know how I go with it

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »
Partial shade, what I actually had in mind was a paper bag over the scion for a few days.
Are you grafting on to a seedling in a pot or an in-ground or mature tree?  If it is a potted seedling just move it so it gets a little shade.  Otherwise a bag or shade cloth as you suggested.  The idea is to protect from direct sun and wind while the union heals.

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 05:19:03 AM »
Partial shade, what I actually had in mind was a paper bag over the scion for a few days.
Are you grafting on to a seedling in a pot or an in-ground or mature tree?  If it is a potted seedling just move it so it gets a little shade.  Otherwise a bag or shade cloth as you suggested.  The idea is to protect from direct sun and wind while the union heals.
I have the seedlings in pots so I can easily put them under some shade cloth but I might put a paper bag as well at least for a few days. Also I've been told at this time of year to do a side veneer graft over a cleft, not sure of the reasoning but could you see tje graft technique choice making a difference?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »
This is just a guess, but it could be a shade related strategy.
Usually the veneer graft has part of the rootstock above the graft with leafs that could provide some shade to the scion.  The cleft on the other hand is a the top, exposed to the elements.  This is just a guess but it makes sense to me.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 01:25:28 PM »
The problem with grafting in mid summer in low humidity is when the buds break through the grafting tape they desicate.  They dry up, turn brown and die.  Then the scion has nothing to keep it alive and dies back to the graft.   The way to get around it is using plastic bags and wet paper towels.  You will need to leave it in place for many weeks until the leaves push quite a bit and gain some size.  Then gently work it into the weather there.  If possible, put the plants indoors if you are having really high heat and low humidity.  Use a grow lamp or bright north facing window.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:27:37 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 06:31:22 PM »
This is just a guess, but it could be a shade related strategy.
Usually the veneer graft has part of the rootstock above the graft with leafs that could provide some shade to the scion.  The cleft on the other hand is a the top, exposed to the elements.  This is just a guess but it makes sense to me.
I think you could be right there but if I protect from the sun could have success with either method. I'll be doing tje grafts soon so we'll see what sort of success I'll have.

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 06:33:22 PM »
The problem with grafting in mid summer in low humidity is when the buds break through the grafting tape they desicate.  They dry up, turn brown and die.  Then the scion has nothing to keep it alive and dies back to the graft.   The way to get around it is using plastic bags and wet paper towels.  You will need to leave it in place for many weeks until the leaves push quite a bit and gain some size.  Then gently work it into the weather there.  If possible, put the plants indoors if you are having really high heat and low humidity.  Use a grow lamp or bright north facing window.

Thanks Brad I'll take your advice on board. I don't have a grow lamp but I can place them indoors under a bright window. This would probably be better than leaving them to the elements outside. Scions should be here tomorrow I'm hoping so I'll get them going as soon as they come

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 10:02:09 PM »
Would indoors mean low humidity?
Brad suggested that low humidity may be a problem.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 11:02:27 PM »
Indoors humidity is usually 30-40%  RH in my house even when its 10-20% outside.  And the lower temperature and absence of wind makes it more favorable as well.  When it's super hot, dry and windy your grafts don't stand a chance.  This is a major problem at my location during summer.  My yard is always hot and windy and low RH by early summer.  The only way I can get things like avocado and cherimoya grafts to work after spring is to keep them indoors.  Of course everyone's conditions are different so your mileage may vary.

Brad Spaugh

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 11:50:56 PM »
Indoors humidity is usually 30-40%  RH in my house even when its 10-20% outside.  And the lower temperature and absence of wind makes it more favorable as well.  When it's super hot, dry and windy your grafts don't stand a chance.  This is a major problem at my location during summer.  My yard is always hot and windy and low RH by early summer.  The only way I can get things like avocado and cherimoya grafts to work after spring is to keep them indoors.  Of course everyone's conditions are different so your mileage may vary.

The plan is to leave the grafted plants indoors by a window but to also put a plastic bag over them with some wet paper towels. This will help take out the variables of extreme heat and wind and humidity with the plastic bags should also remain high. Once the buds have pushed and have some decent leaf growth, I'll transition them outside under 70% shade cloth and then slowly acclimate to more sun.

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 05:46:44 AM »
My experience with these is that you have most success when you graft in the spring when the plants come out from their dormancy.
. What varieties are you grafting???? Mike

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 02:44:06 PM »
Update us on your results, either way.
Good luck.

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 08:31:39 AM »
My experience with these is that you have most success when you graft in the spring when the plants come out from their dormancy.
. What varieties are you grafting???? Mike

Of course spring would've been ideal but a friend had a few spare scions of pierce and honeyhart and gave them to me so thought I'd give it a shot. I'll report back with how they go

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 01:18:08 AM »
If you can get scions with leaves attached, try this method https://okratech.net/T-Budding.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk