Author Topic: Excalibur Red Jackfuit  (Read 13166 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Excalibur Red Jackfuit
« on: March 25, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
Excalibur has a few grafted Excalibur Red Jackfruit available for sale.  These are currently available on an extremely limited availability.  They only have a few, so be one of the first to own one of the best tasting red fleshed jackfruit (actually one of the best tasting jackfruit, period).  Cost is $100.
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: Excalibur Red Jackfuit
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »
How large are the trees? I am really wanting to get one, but $100 is a little step for me.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »
They are good sized three gallons that were probably grafted early last year.

As Rob said, there is a limited quantity and once these few sell out, there won't be more available for maybe another year at least.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:26:15 PM »
Interesting.  I was at Excalibur last Thursday, and the sales guy said he didn't have Excalibur Red available yet.  Maybe he figured I didn't want to spend $100 on one tree, which is true.  Instead I purchased a Miguel avocado, an Alano sapodilla, a Beverly mango, a Neelam mango, a Mahachanok mango, and a Hak Ip lychee.  The first two were in great condition.  The Mahachanok was about six inches tall--very immature--and the graft didn't look so nice, but I wanted to have it so I paid the $35.  The lychee and other 2 mangos weren't in the best condition.  The sales guy wasn't too friendly or enthusiastic about his job. :(
John

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:10:39 AM »
Interesting.  I was at Excalibur last Thursday, and the sales guy said he didn't have Excalibur Red available yet.  Maybe he figured I didn't want to spend $100 on one tree, which is true.  Instead I purchased a Miguel avocado, an Alano sapodilla, a Beverly mango, a Neelam mango, a Mahachanok mango, and a Hak Ip lychee.  The first two were in great condition.  The Mahachanok was about six inches tall--very immature--and the graft didn't look so nice, but I wanted to have it so I paid the $35.  The lychee and other 2 mangos weren't in the best condition.  The sales guy wasn't too friendly or enthusiastic about his job. :(

I bought a Sapodilla (Ox) from Excalibur at the Palm Beach Rare Fruit Tree Sale.  It wasn't very big for a 3 gal container.  Apparently the Sapodilla had been recently transplanted to the container because when I removed the tree from the container to plant it in the ground, most of the soil fell apart and there were not many roots.  I was very disappointed, but planted it and I hope for the best.  I would not have expected this from an established nursery like Excalibur.

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:29:52 AM »
I would love to see a picture of that 6 inch tall Mahachanok.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:43:10 AM »
The timing of release of these limited trees is determined by the owners of Excalibur, not a salesman.  As in any sales related item, it is supply and demand.  Nobody is forcing you to buy this jackfruit from them, you are free to pass on the purchase go to another nursery to purchase it.  I just thought I would make it known to the tropical fruit community of its availability.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »
I bought a Sapodilla (Ox) from Excalibur at the Palm Beach Rare Fruit Tree Sale.  It wasn't very big for a 3 gal container.  Apparently the Sapodilla had been recently transplanted to the container because when I removed the tree from the container to plant it in the ground, most of the soil fell apart and there were not many roots.  I was very disappointed, but planted it and I hope for the best.  I would not have expected this from an established nursery like Excalibur.

By looking at the size of that tree you could easily tell that it would not have a root ball that would fill out an entire 3 gallon container. That being said, I don't understand what you mean you would not have expected that from an established nursery like Excalibur? Excalibur does not save perfectly rooted out 3 gallon for the sale. It sells what it has available. Sapodillas are in demand and anything of size gets sold quickly at the nursery. If they did not bring this OX, there would be none at the sale.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:31:27 AM »
The timing of release of these limited trees is determined by the owners of Excalibur, not a salesman.  As in any sales related item, it is supply and demand.  Nobody is forcing you to buy this jackfruit from them, you are free to pass on the purchase go to another nursery to purchase it.  I just thought I would make it known to the tropical fruit community of its availability.

Absolutely.  Thank you.  My experience with planting the Mahachanok was the same as lawace with his sapodilla.  All the potting soil just fell away from the roots, but we'll see what happens.  Should they even be selling it when it hasn't established any roots in the pot?  Maybe I should have left it in the pot for a couple months?
John

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »
Absolutely.  Thank you.  My experience with planting the Mahachanok was the same as lawace with his sapodilla.  All the potting soil just fell away from the roots, but we'll see what happens.  Should they even be selling it when it hasn't established any roots in the pot?  Maybe I should have left it in the pot for a couple months?

Of course. I hope you did not expect a full set of roots. A simple way to tell how well a tree is rooted out in a put is to give the trunk a slight pull. If it moves, it is likely not rooted out.

There is nothing wrong with selling it as long as they explain to the customer at the nursery that it is not rooted out. I think they sometimes assume its common sense but many people do not know.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »

I just measured it.  It's actually 8 inches.  I have to figure out how to post photographs.  I'm a total computer dummy.  ???
John

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »

I just measured it.  It's actually 8 inches.  I have to figure out how to post photographs.  I'm a total computer dummy.  ???

I bought a 17 inch Mahachanok at the Palm Beach Rare Fruit Tree Sale for $29.  I had never heard of mahachanok before and I only bought it because a friend at the show highly recommended it.  It was from Excalibur and labeled "mahachanois."  There were at least four of them and I think I was the only person to buy one.  I am a little surprised that the 17 inch Maha I bought was not available at Excalibur when you bought yours.  Maybe Excalibur had set aside the "good stuff" for the rare fruit tree sale?

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »

Of course. I hope you did not expect a full set of roots. A simple way to tell how well a tree is rooted out in a put is to give the trunk a slight pull. If it moves, it is likely not rooted out.

There is nothing wrong with selling it as long as they explain to the customer at the nursery that it is not rooted out. I think they sometimes assume its common sense but many people do not know.

It was at a Rare Fruits Tree Plant Sale, so there was no representative from the nursery explaining anything about the plant or plant history to me.  As a newbie buying plants from an established nursery, I expected a set of roots full enough make it easy to transplant.  I am simplying saying that my expectations were not met as a customer for this particular plant. 
www.FLMangos.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »

It was at a Rare Fruits Tree Plant Sale, so there was no representative from the nursery explaining anything about the plant or plant history to me.  As a newbie buying plants from an established nursery, I expected a set of roots full enough make it easy to transplant.  I am simplying saying that my expectations were not met as a customer for this particular plant.
Not only was there a representative from Excalibur there but there were other "workers" there that would have been able to assist you in detail with any questions.  You state you are a newbie but you must have had some knowldge as not only are you on this site but you purchased what is arguably one of the best mangoes available.  As Murahilin stated, there is always some responsibility that must be borne by the buyer.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 04:43:22 PM »
I think this is a grey area and every nursery does what they think is best. Personally i like to let just transplanted plants sit for a while before selling them. But with very high demand items sometimes i will take some to a sale. I just try to make sure to warn the customer not to plant it out right away, to let it sit in the pot for a while. Sometimes at sales there are so many customers at once that it's not always possible to give this kind of individual attention. Or people take plants without my even noticing it.
Oscar
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:36:49 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »
I think this is a grey area and every nursery does what they think is best. Personally i like to let just transplanted plants sit for a while before selling them. But with very high demand items sometimes i will take some to a sale. I just try to make sure to warn the customer not to plant it out right away, to let it sit in the pot for a while. Sometimes at sales there are so many customers at once that it's not always possible to give this kind of individual attention. Or people take plants with my even noticing it.
Oscar
I agree with you 100% except at this sale it was not broken up into vendors.  All plants were grouped together and for the most part, you didn't know who you were "buying from".   For instance, an Excalibur employee could have been selling their plant or could have been selling another vendor's plant.  It was all a matter of the plant the buyer picked up to purchase.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »
I think Oscar has it exactly right.  I have purchased many plants (and have lost some) that were not fully rooted out when I purchased them.  I used to always plant all recently purchased plants out immediately...not being able to stand them in pots for long.  In  a perfect world, a customer should always be advised if the plant was recently up-potted and that the new soil added may not have any roots in them at all.  The real  question though  is are you paying the price of the larger potted tree or the price of the tree before it is up-potted (when price is governed by pot size).  To sell them at the price for the large sized pot without any advice to the customer that this issue exists is, in my view, is to some degree a  misrepresentation.  Now, if it is unintentional as Oscar mentions, where it is so busy that an inadvertant sale occurs because of crowds of people clamoring for plants or whatever.....that's different.  I have had this up-potting issue with a prominent S. Florida nursery and when the plant died after planting, they quickly replaced it at my request.  So...as long as the plant lives and thrives and you got what you wanted in the way of the type of tree, all is reasonably well save for the potential overpayment issue.  I don't think it is fair to blame the unknowing customer for not realizing that the plant was recently up-potted. As long as the original root ball of the plant is healthy, the fact that the new soil falls away does not diminsh the plant's viability.  Its just damned disappointing to encounter when you are planting out the tree.  I guess it could be argued, in the defense of the nurseryman, that the price paid for the tree is really more a function of the size of the tree (above the ground) and not the status of the root ball. As again, as long as the tree thrives....all will probably be forgiven.  Sometimes, the smaller tree will actually out pace the growth of a larger, more root bound, tree.

Harry
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:42:40 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »

I agree with you 100% except at this sale it was not broken up into vendors.  All plants were grouped together and for the most part, you didn't know who you were "buying from".   For instance, an Excalibur employee could have been selling their plant or could have been selling another vendor's plant.  It was all a matter of the plant the buyer picked up to purchase.

That's a very strange set up for a sale. I don't think i would like that!  >:(
Oscar
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
Some advice for lawace, and other potential customers: you can easily tell if a plant has been very recently planted, the soil on the top will be loose and will easily shift from side to side. That is one reason i don't like to transport such plants. If one of these plants gets accidentally knocked over in the truck or during set up all the soil will come pouring out. So it's bad for the vendor as well as the customer.
Oscar
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »
Yep, Harry makes good points.

In general it's good practice to refrain from selling trees which have not fully rooted out. But, in low-supply, high-demand situations, buyers are annoyed if they are not able to buy that one tree they've been desperately wanting to locate.

Over the years, we fruit enthusiasts develop an eye for discerning the good, strong and healthy trees. A desirable specimen should be firm in the soil and should not be in the state of 'hibernation' induced by being in the same size pot for way too long. But newbies don't yet have that eye and really need to be given good advice on how to care for their trees.

It's difficult for nurserymen to sell fully rooted out trees year-round. Generally potting up occurs in the fall or the spring, and it takes 2 or 3 months for most trees to sufficiently root out. So, if the buyer happens to come during the time of  the year that pot-up happens, they will either get lucky and get a large tree just ready to move to a larger pot size, or they will get a tree that was just recently potted up and not fully rooted out. Some nurseries will have overlapping stock to deal with this issue. They up-pot a portion at a time, starting with the larger trees first. But, this doesn't work too well in high-demand, low-supply situations.

One way for the buyer to deal with the supply/demand issue is to stay away from the 'cutting-edge'. With most products, there is a huge price differential between mainstream and cutting-edge models.. the latter of which are obsolete in very short order :-). This is true with computers, cell phones, .. and even plants :-). You can either get a giant - say - Rosigold for cheap (because it's not the current fad) or a tiny Mahachanok for a lot of $$ :-).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:52:29 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 06:46:46 PM »
Oscar

It's not a bad setup for its purpose. It's basically a sale supporting the Rare Fruit Council while getting the opportunity to advertise your own nursery. Any rare fruit member can bring trees for sale and to make it easy they group the trees by species and cultivar. The RFC gets 20% of the money from each tree sold.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
Very nice Mahachanok, lawace, compared to the one I purchased at Excalibur. 
John

natsgarden123

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »

I disagree with you about the help at the sale- There were a whole lot of people there who were glad to help.  Richard, the owner of Excalibur , was there at the sale and I'm sure he would have helped if you had questions that needed answering about one of his trees.  All you had to do was ask one of the Club members, that were all over the place,for some help.  As far as the Maha mango, Excalibur is the only nursery who sells it, so there is a lot of demand-hence the trees are smaller. There were some larger 3 gallon mango varieties there which could have been bought if size was an issue.  The maha is a hot variety now, but there are a whole lot of delicious mangos out there.   

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 12:57:05 AM »
Oscar

Oscar, thanks for the advice on the loose soil to tell if it was newly potted.  The setup was actually pretty good, we may not have done a good job of explaining it.  It was well run after they got the "bugs" out of it.  It was an area about the size of a NBA size basketball court.  The plants were organized in four rows.  Customers were given a map of where different species were located, so you could find trees.  The potted plants had a price tag stapled to the pots.  The back side of the tag said which nursery provided the plant.  There were three or four cashiers where you could pay for purchases, using only cash or check.  The tags were made, so that a portion would be torn off at the time of purchase, so the sellers could be paid, etc. 

I went two times during the sale and had two totally different experiences.  My first visit...I showed up around 15 minutes before it opened and there was a line of about 20 people ahead of me.  By the time it opened, there were about 30 people behind me.  When it opened, there was sort of a stampede.  It was crowded, people were rushing to get what they wanted; it was a bit chaotic.   There were no carts available, unless you brought your own.  As a short cut, people would cut thru the rows of plants, sometimes trampling the plants a little.  I asked a volunteer to help me, he helped me pick out a few plants, but then someone else lured him away.  I put my plants in the holding area, where I went to get the rest of the things on my list.  I bought five plants and a bag of fertilizer.  At checkout, I paid with cash.  The cashier (an elderly volunteer) "tested" the money with a black ball point pen and thought my money was counterfeit (it wasn't).  Another volunteer politely pointed out that the cashier had used the wrong pen to test the money.  In fairness, I was probably one of the first people to check out, so they had not worked all of the "bugs" out.

My second visiti...a friend wanted to go to the sale later in the day, so I went with her around noon.  It was a different experience.  It was no longer crowded.  There were more volunteers than customers and volunteers would ask if they could help.  Some volunteers had carts to transport plants.  There were a lot less trees there, but you wouldn't have known except that I had been there earlier when there were a lot more.  They were out of fertilizer.  I bought one more plant, my friend bought two.
www.FLMangos.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 01:18:19 AM »
We have a 2 day nurseryman's sale here where there is a similar pheonomenon: a line to get in and then a stampede by the hard core plant fanatics. After about one hour of the plant fanatics grabbing up their first choices then the sale returns to normal and you wouldn't know that anything abnormal occured before.  ;)
Oscar
Oscar