Author Topic: Figs-R-Us  (Read 13882 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Figs-R-Us
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:10:28 PM »
New to the Fig Game folks...realized there is Fig cult that runs deeper than the Mango nutz on this forum found on Figs4fun, they have rare trees and cuttings, that in some cases sell for over a thousand on Ebay... Some of these rare trees include the Infamous 100 year old Louisiana Heirloom "Smith", Cul De Dame White, Black Madiera, and Ronde De Bordeux that I'm really after.... I already grabbed Excel which is more common but Elite in Flavor according to the Fig Cult.

Number 1 on my list is the Smith!!!!!!!!!! Highly dubbed the King by many when grown in the right climate. I lucked out and scored a nice sized tree from a nice forum member and had it shipped to me....wouldn't you know, me being the idiot I am had a full Mailbox and USPS stopped processing my mail and sent all my mail back to the senders, where these nuts lost it!!!! Terrible on my behalf for having a full mailbox for 2 weeks... annnnnndddddd I'm back on the hunt!  Everywhere is sold out on the Smith too except 1 Florida Nursery, which of course can't ship to Ca... I have found cuttings on Ebay, but the horror stories of Ebay scare me...dammit I'm caught up in the FIG MADNESS, almost as bad as the Mango Fever I got last year.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 12:12:53 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Figs-R-Us
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:38:01 PM »
Just  grabbed a Violet De Bordeaux Fig Tree. They say it has a berry like flavor and can be split open and spread across toast used as Jam... Hopefully a  good variety!

Also getting ready for  some bidding wars on Ebay for the Cul De Dame family of Figs and the Smith
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 08:45:02 PM »
Clay just be careful going overboard with the figs.  Once they establish, they get huge fast.

I cluster mine in groups of 3 to 4 so they compete with one another and stunt down some.

The ones left to themselves end up 20'+ tall and wide

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:54:31 PM »
Good luck on the bidding wars on eBay. When I used to bid on stuff on eBay I would usually just put my highest bid at the last 5 seconds. ;)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 10:28:43 PM »
Clay just be careful going overboard with the figs.  Once they establish, they get huge fast.

I cluster mine in groups of 3 to 4 so they compete with one another and stunt down some.

Well I have them currently spaced about  2-3 feet  from each other.... I think some heavy pruning will do the job, but I'm definitely going to add at least  4 more... The Cole De Dame Gris, Noir, and Blanc, Black Madiera, and this God damn *Smith that evaded me under the most unpleasant of circumstances!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 11:37:38 PM »
I went fig collection crazy back around 2013. After losing some cuttings to mold, insect, and disease. Decided to limit myself to about 10 selections. I have Vista, Violet Sepor, Alma, Wuhan, Dark Portuguese, JH Adriatic, Marseilles vs black, Atreano, Conadria, and Paradiso. I may swap some out after deciding what performs well and not for me.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 12:08:25 AM »

Well I have them currently spaced about  2-3 feet  from each other.... I think some heavy pruning will do the job, but I'm definitely going to add at least  4 more... The Cole De Dame Gris, Noir, and Blanc, Black Madiera, and this God damn *Smith that evaded me under the most unpleasant of circumstances!

They key is stressing their roots.  The ones I don't cluster, I will spade the ground about a foot from the drop line each year.  Putting 3 or 4 on a mound will prevent the need for this.  Throw away/compost suckers and cuttings from the ground, or they can take root on occasion and become annoying in the yard when mowing.  I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but just in case.  ;)

Pruning helps, but if the roots are left unchecked, they'll grow crazy fast in the hot months and it isn't wise to trim them during summer as it will make them susceptible to attack.

All that said, putting one out in the open all by itself, if you have the room, makes for a magnificent tree.  Definitely worth it if there is an open unused space.  Also, if you have issues with pests on your other fruit trees, a single giant fig will attract the majority of the pests away from all your vital fruit trees.  I did this with a brown turkey, and haven't had pests (other than whiteflies and occasional caterpillers) since.  All the stink bugs, worms, etc, go to the giant fig.  Yet, due to the prolific nature of it, their gluttony can only damage about 20% of the yield.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 01:37:26 AM »
I went fig collection crazy back around 2013. After losing some cuttings to mold, insect, and disease. Decided to limit myself to about 10 selections. I have Vista, Violet Sepor, Alma, Wuhan, Dark Portuguese, JH Adriatic, Marseilles vs black, Atreano, Conadria, and Paradiso. I may swap some out after deciding what performs well and not for me.

Nullz, you have pretty uncommon collection there....I see tons of high feed back on Marseilles VS, and many of you varieties are mentioned on the *wish lists* found on everyones post.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »

Nullz, you have pretty uncommon collection there....I see tons of high feed back on Marseilles VS, and many of you varieties are mentioned on the *wish lists* found on everyones post.

Marseilles VS Black is great fig, my friend has one in the ground. It grows fairly vigorous and has tasty sweet berry tasting figs of medium to small size.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 06:39:05 PM »
Figs selling on Ebay for over a  thousand???? a 2 gallon size fig going for over  300 right now.......Am I missing something?

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »
Never buy from eBay.  lol

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 09:16:13 PM »

I'm surprised people are paying that much. but then again, many of these rare varieties aren't sold anywhere in the Country, if your lucky and know someone, you may get a  cutting from the Figs4fun or Ourfigs Community, second place would be LSU's 1 time annual ordering they do. Then some of these are idvidual collections held by a  slim few... What a crazy World of Figs.....thank the Gods Lemon Zest or Coconut cream isn't freaking being hoarded away by a slim few people putting them up for ransome on Ebay!!!!!!!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 08:28:49 PM »

I'm surprised people are paying that much. but then again, many of these rare varieties aren't sold anywhere in the Country, if your lucky and know someone, you may get a  cutting from the Figs4fun or Ourfigs Community, second place would be LSU's 1 time annual ordering they do. Then some of these are idvidual collections held by a  slim few... What a crazy World of Figs.....thank the Gods Lemon Zest or Coconut cream isn't freaking being hoarded away by a slim few people putting them up for ransome on Ebay!!!!!!!

Free up the Figs! What in the heck is easier to root than a fig? Givin' is livin' so share them fig cuttings. ;)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 07:42:50 PM »
Just grabbed 2 Col De Dame Noir cuttings on Ebay....I pray to the Fig Gods i dont kill these 2 expensive cuttings.... I dont know the first thing about rooting these, but Hopefully Youtube will show me the way, I've read a few interesting methods so far on Fig Rooting...fingers  crossed.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 08:50:13 PM »
I have a Violet de Bordeaux fig in a pot with gritty mix. It's supposed to be a dwarf. Last year it fruited for the first time. It's about 3.5 feet high, pot and all.
The flesh is indeed red and very tasty. Unfortunately I have never had any other properly picked/ripened figs so I can't really compare.  :-[

I was away for a week last summer and we got a TON of rain - lost probably 15-20 figs to splitting.

It seems to do just fine in a sunny spot in my 7b yard. It will definitely droop in the heat - in some cases I have to water it nearly every day.
When repotting and root-pruning it a couple months ago, I added more Turface to the mix to hopefully increase water retention.

So I guess this post doesn't really help matters LOL - but I can say that this cultivar is yummy and not too temperamental (if I can grow something, any fool can!)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 08:59:28 PM »
Just grabbed 2 Col De Dame Noir cuttings on Ebay....I pray to the Fig Gods i dont kill these 2 expensive cuttings.... I dont know the first thing about rooting these, but Hopefully Youtube will show me the way, I've read a few interesting methods so far on Fig Rooting...fingers  crossed.

Get some coco coir and good rooting gel, clonex works well. Then get a ziplock bag, leave the bag slightly open. Place in a slightly warm place like onto of a fridge or on a heat mat.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 10:36:05 PM »
Violette de Bordeaux is usually the reference fig. The one you use to see if another variety is better or worse. Plant DNA testing, if you trust it, showed that Vista and VdB is the same.
Thera

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 10:53:46 PM »

Get some coco coir and good rooting gel, clonex works well. Then get a ziplock bag, leave the bag slightly open. Place in a slightly warm place like onto of a fridge or on a heat mat.

Nulzz I wished I would have planned ahead of time, I grabbed Spagnum moss, not knowing about Coir.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 08:20:16 AM »
Hey Viking, I am removing a couple brown turkeys for some better selections. Can you explain your clustering method a little more in detail?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 11:09:30 AM »

Nulzz I wished I would have planned ahead of time, I grabbed Spagnum moss, not knowing about Coir.

Non ground moss works well too, I think the coir has better uniform aeration when wet though.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 11:50:45 AM »

Non ground moss works well too, I think the coir has better uniform aeration when wet though.

The Fig4fun community all seem to favor Coir, apparently Spagnum (non peat) moss was the go to for ting with it's somewhat mold preventative properties, but Coir has took over as the favorite because it doesn't entangle in the roots, and mold/rot doesnt form as much as with Spagnum...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 11:56:25 AM »
My recommendation is to always have a 5KG coco coir block on hand, they are cheap from the local hydro store (around $10-13 at most stores in CA). I use the coir for seedling mix, rooting cuttings mix, container soil mix, even cactus mix, and can use for airlayer.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 12:33:51 PM »
My recommendation is to always have a 5KG coco coir block on hand, they are cheap from the local hydro store (around $10-13 at most stores in CA). I use the coir for seedling mix, rooting cuttings mix, container soil mix, even cactus mix, and can use for airlayer.

hmm, I guess I'll make a pit stop today.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »

Found some at the Hydro shop in san diego....a brick for 5.00 Hopefully I don't screw it up.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 04:29:39 PM »

Found some at the Hydro shop in san diego....a brick for 5.00 Hopefully I don't screw it up.

What size brick... make sure its at least 5KG because the smaller sizes you will get less for your money.

Here is a place decent price out in Temecula, if you found a $5 5KG coir block that is a great price (It sounds more like wholesale price).

http://iehydrogarden.com/product/gh-cocotek-bale-5-kg-2/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:32:06 PM by nullzero »