Author Topic: Will be planting this into the ground, should i pug it?  (Read 2753 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Will be planting this into the ground, should i pug it?
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:00:16 PM »
It's a Bombay mango. Height is about 6.5 feet from the ground. If pugging is recommended, about what height?
Thanks!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Will be planting this into the ground, should i pug it?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
Do you ever get wind in the area? Usually formative pruning would start about hip height. Looks like the tree spent a lot of time in a nursery crowded up with other stuff.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:01:21 PM »
Yes, hip height, that's what recommended also by someone as posted in Youtube, a link that was posted by Mark in Texas recently. Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1AnvNa6mc

Allow me to ask a follow up question: Will the tree resprout if there's no more leave left after the cut? (As it would be in NewGen's tree posted above).
Sam

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:04:40 PM »
It's a Bombay mango. Height is about 6.5 feet from the ground. If pugging is recommended, about what height?
Thanks!

Since it's a Bombay, I would pug it about 3 ft tall then top work it with a good variety.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
Trung,

You can pug it about 2.5 to 3 feet above the soil line.  It should grow back (and branch out) nicely this time of the year.
Bombay is a vigorous grower in CA, so it should bounce back quickly, but not as quickly as in Florida.  Bombay fruit has a strong piney flavor that many appreciate.
Warren

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:49:36 PM »
Thanks all for your advice.

Warren, do you have this cultivar in your garden?

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 11:57:48 PM »
Thanks all for your advice.

Warren, do you have this cultivar in your garden?

Yes. I topworked part of my Glenn tree with a Bombay branch.   It is definitely starting to overtake the tree.  It is flowering for the first time this year too.  It is slightly susceptible to powdery mildew, but can be controlled with sulfur fungicide.  The taste of Bombay is similar to Hawaiian Pirie, but a little stronger piney flavor..... Both descended from Indian paheri.
Warren

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:35:54 AM »
You people in California like to grow the lower end varieties of mango's for some reason...trust me you can do better then Bombay and Glenn ...
Joe

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »
Thanks!

Since it's a Bombay, I would pug it about 3 ft tall then top work it with a good variety.

Lol

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 11:45:38 AM »
I'd take advantage of the less humid environment and try to get branching as low as possible.
Hopefully, with a more bushy tree, you might be able to control vigor better (if you want).
Also gives you more branches to work with for multi-grafting and training.

I've had success with girdling the branch/trunk rather than "pugging".
I always felt bad to just leave the stump.

Also if multi-grafting is planned later down the road consider adding Fruit Punch, Jakarta, and Sunrise
People I know that enjoy Bombay like these too.

I'd first listen to the CA growers though, that would likely be the most helpful

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 12:15:32 PM »
Im going to go against the grain here and say just plant it and let it get established before lopping it off.  Or plant and dont lop it off ever.  Whats it going to get you?  1 foot shorter tree?

I dont know where in central CA you are but its already marginal for mango growing.  Lack of vigor seems to be a killer for these trees.  Doing a transplant and lopping it off it going to put a serious dent in any vigor the plant currently had. 
Brad Spaugh

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 12:48:13 PM »
Im going to go against the grain here and say just plant it and let it get established before lopping it off.  Or plant and dont lop it off ever.  Whats it going to get you?  1 foot shorter tree?

I dont know where in central CA you are but its already marginal for mango growing.  Lack of vigor seems to be a killer for these trees.  Doing a transplant and lopping it off it going to put a serious dent in any vigor the plant currently had.

I agree.  Plant it, wait a year, and then decide if you want to make it shorter.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
I will third that vote not to pug it. Vigor in mango trees is hard to come by in California. You have a pretty good looking tree there. I would get it in the ground ASAP. Wait a couple of months for it to establish, then tip prune it to create more branches. I would not cut it back and "hope" it comes back. The only caveat is if you are trying to keep it small for protection. But even then it would be risky and  I would not cut all the way down to waist high. I would leave some branches. Hope it will be a good producer for you! ;D

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 02:59:44 PM »
Sayyid, can you explain how you girdle a trunk or branch (this is to control growth, right?). Thanks!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »
HAHAHAH

I actually like bombay, but still funny.

Thanks!

Jeff  :-)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »
I would agree and not cut it back yet. Mango trees grown in SoCal start off pretty slow and removing the solar panels will reduce energy for the tree. It’s better to let it get established before performing any major pruning.

Simon