Author Topic: Blueberry thread  (Read 13982 times)

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Blueberry thread
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »
Uh ohhh....The reason being?

I currently have one Blueberry, I believe rabbit eye that seems  to do well on the  sprinkler
Then maybe you are fine.  I posted about this in another thread.  I was told, and have no first hand evidence, but sounds logical to me....
That blueberries need beneficial fungus.  The chlorine in tap water will kill fungus.  The pH issue with water is also a known issue.
If you already have success, then may not apply to you.
I think they are many factors here, maybe if the pH is on the edge of desired for the blueberries then benefical fungus could fill the gap of nutrient uptake.
I just installed carbon filtration on my blueberry plants and hit them with bene-fungi.  Some (small) plants died last year and others languished.  We shall see if there is a marked difference this year.
Good luck to us both.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »
Uh ohhh....The reason being?

I currently have one Blueberry, I believe rabbit eye that seems  to do well on the  sprinkler
Then maybe you are fine.  I posted about this in another thread.  I was told, and have no first hand evidence, but sounds logical to me....
That blueberries need beneficial fungus.  The chlorine in tap water will kill fungus.  The pH issue with water is also a known issue.
If you already have success, then may not apply to you.
I think they are many factors here, maybe if the pH is on the edge of desired for the blueberries then benefical fungus could fill the gap of nutrient uptake.
I just installed carbon filtration on my blueberry plants and hit them with bene-fungi.  Some (small) plants died last year and others languished.  We shall see if there is a marked difference this year.
Good luck to us both.

Yeah I think I'm good, I'll post pictures of my Home Depot Blueberry bush on it's second year fruiting.....very good berries off the bush! I just have to get to them before my dogs do!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 11:30:39 PM »
If you got your BB's from Florida Hill they are known for sending the wrong varieties out. There was a big thread on Garden Web about it.

Sunshine Blue does better than my other blueberries (CA tap water). I would mix some wet peat moss into the native soil and soil sulfer for in ground. I grow mine in raised bed of peat/pathway bark.

Feijoa would make a good hedgerow, not a total screen but the BB's won't make a total screen either...

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 10:58:49 AM »
If you got your BB's from Florida Hill they are known for sending the wrong varieties out. There was a big thread on Garden Web about it.

Sunshine Blue does better than my other blueberries (CA tap water). I would mix some wet peat moss into the native soil and soil sulfer for in ground. I grow mine in raised bed of peat/pathway bark.

Feijoa would make a good hedgerow, not a total screen but the BB's won't make a total screen either...

Just looking for a 3-4 foot edible but semi  elegant border to isolate my side yard from the sidewalk.....

shit!!! I hope they send me the correct varieties
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »
Highbush is definitely the winner if you want a hedge.

I have a variety which has been in the family more than 200yrs, and was originally grown in Georgia and transplanted here.  The one in my back yard is the only known one left.   It stands about 18 feet tall, and is thick and happy.  The berries are the largest and best tasting blueberries I've ever tried.  We get so many pounds off the one bush each year that even after giving basket after basket away, half the berries still fall to the ground for the birds and fruit mulch.

I may give this bush a name and offer scions.  It is a whole new world of blueberry.

That said, due to its growing nature as a Highbush, Im pretty sure you could hedge other high bushes well the way you are desiring.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 10:42:10 PM »
Highbush is definitely the winner if you want a hedge.

I have a variety which has been in the family more than 200yrs, and was originally grown in Georgia and transplanted here.  The one in my back yard is the only known one left.   It stands about 18 feet tall, and is thick and happy.  The berries are the largest and best tasting blueberries I've ever tried.  We get so many pounds off the one bush each year that even after giving basket after basket away, half the berries still fall to the ground for the birds and fruit mulch.

I may give this bush a name and offer scions.  It is a whole new world of blueberry.

That said, due to its growing nature as a Highbush, Im pretty sure you could hedge other high bushes well the way you are desiring.

Please post  pictures!!! wow that bush is has some history!!! please show it to the forum.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 04:55:05 AM »
I certainly will.  It is in full bloom right now.  Will gather some photos this morning.

Other than pruning dead branches, I've done nothing to it.  No fertilizer, no training, no mulch and no care.

It is fully pest, disease, soil, nematode and weather (hot, cold, humid, drought, sun, shade) resistant.  Self-pollinating and extremely prolific.

The only complication is the berries do not form in clusters, but rather all over the entire bush.

It grows in the following fashion:  2 years prolific; 1 year less prolific and more foliage.  Last year was its growth season, so this year it will make 3x more berries than we can manage.

The local markets have begged us for scions, because no locally grown blueberry comes close in taste and size.  We've held it close, though.  I may consider sharing it real soon.  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:57:26 AM by Viking Guy »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »
Adding some photos of the Blueberry "tree."

Bloom clusters up close.  Since clusters are small and widespread, I think this contributes to the blueberries being so large.

Panoramic view of the trunks and sprouts.

Pick handfuls until you're tired.

I will usually enjoy a cup of them for breakfast. ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:45:46 AM by Viking Guy »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2015, 10:12:46 AM »
Just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »
Now, I need to come up with a name for it and patent a variety.  Wouldn't know the first thing about it though.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
Amazing Blueberry " tree" Viking Guy. Thanks for posting pictures and by the description you should definately propagate in whatever manner you see fit. Just keep that heirloom variety going!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »
Since almost every root stock variety locally succumbs to nematodes within 1-3 yrs of planting, I think my best solution here would be to air layer this.

I have left all the larger suckers on the tree as well, because it fruits on both new and old wood.  Each new cane sports berries on the following year.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
Just ordered Snow chasers, another UF BB variety. both Sweet crisp and Snowchaser have the highest flavor rating according to UF, plus Snow Chaser is the earliest of all the BB vareties they have created, hence the name snow chaser.

Hunting Raven now, another UF creation that is late season so I can max the season out.