Author Topic: Mango production  (Read 925 times)

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Mango production
« on: October 06, 2019, 08:29:33 AM »
Hey mango nuts! I got a question. My neighbor Waters incessantly. Is a bit senile and just loves watering things :-) well it seems to be good for the tree growth, but I have had some problems with production. If the tree doesn't have a dry period to go dormant, will it still bloom? Thanks in advance for your replies

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango production
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:44:06 PM »
Mango only wants to have babies when it felt threaten (by lack of water or too cold to die). Maybe threat it with a pointing gun in this case.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 07:21:51 PM »
I’ve tried regular watering with my mango trees, including watering in Winter, in an attempt to prevent flowering but my trees flowered anyways. The cold stress is too strong a bloom stimulus here in SoCal.

In Florida where it is warmer, irrigation or lack of drought stress may lead to untimely vegetative flushes that aren’t given enough time to mature and store energy for a bloom in the cold of Winter.
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1677-04202007000400007&script=sci_arttext

Simon

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 01:58:08 AM »
I have maha in my unheated greenhouse which I water every day. It's in a pot though.  It flowers like crazy. but in terms of holding fruit, this year fruits was less.  I got about 15fruit vs 30 fruits last year.  Oddly enough, the trees outside the greenhouse didn't get much fruits as last year. Not sure if it needed to rest or the weather caused that.  It did flowers a lot though.  But not sure why the fruitlets dropped.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk