Author Topic: Who's growing Pawpaw?  (Read 4923 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Who's growing Pawpaw?
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »
After doing some reaserch I found that Florida has quite a few Asiminas..The most popular being Triloba which won't fruit this far south(Zone 10). Florida has native species including A.parviflora, A.obavata, and A.reticulata amongst others..Has anyone tried growing any of these? Comments on fruit quality? Also possibilities of grafting A.triloba onto one of the other species for fruiting down south? I spoke with Teri out of Leesburg,Fl who specializes in Asiminas and she said she currently has 6 different species and soon to be 8..She told me that she knows of someone who has to A.parviflora trees in West Palm Beach that are about 15' and produce fruit...She also stated some of these varieties grow excellent in sugar sand...If anyone is intersted in contacting her for Asiminas she said give her a call...Info below

Teri-(352)504-6494
e-mail: 1bushwoman@embarqmail.com

She said all her plants are seedlings in 4"x4" pots that are in 14" deep due to extensive root system...
plants are $15 each plus shipping

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Who's growing Pawpaw?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
There are some cultivars of triloba that will fruit in a lot warmer areas than you would think. For example, i know someone that is fruiting them in Santa Monica, California, not far from ocean so never gets any chill. If interested i can look up the info she gave me. I think Sta. Monica is zone 10?
Apparently the other species of Asimina are not very good tasting, at least nothing like triloba.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »
I have a nice grafted wabash pawpaw that was gave to me...also have some seedling trilobas....my buddy has pygmaea...parviflora grows wild near me.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
There are some cultivars of triloba that will fruit in a lot warmer areas than you would think. For example, i know someone that is fruiting them in Santa Monica, California, not far from ocean so never gets any chill. If interested i can look up the info she gave me. I think Sta. Monica is zone 10?
Apparently the other species of Asimina are not very good tasting, at least nothing like triloba.

Do you know if any grafting has been accomplished with asaminas? Triloba onto parviflora?

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:46:05 AM »
I have a nice grafted wabash pawpaw that was gave to me...also have some seedling trilobas....my buddy has pygmaea...parviflora grows wild near me.

Do you know the rootstock used? Have you heard reports of flavor on the others?

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »
I have 5 A. triloba in the yard. 4 are seedlings from named cultivars so they are mixed and one is the local wild form. I have never found a wild fruit that had much flavor whereas many of the improved forms are very tasty. Mine bloom but some sort of insect eats the flowers. Next year I'll protect them and hand pollinate.

I'm in zone 7b, which is only tropical in the summer.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »

Do you know the rootstock used? Have you heard reports of flavor on the others?

it's a triloba on triloba....I'm sure some of the asimina species can be grafted onto on another.

Have heard reports that most fruits of the native types are not too tasty, but also heard that they're variable, and some people really enjoy them.

I'm thinking there's got to be a good one out there (parviflora, obavata), but it's like searching for a tasty pond apple.  You might have to sample the fruits of 500 trees before finding a winner.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jabotica

• U.S.A.-N.of Okeechobee,Florida-zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »
 Last year I had A. parviflora fruit in a 4 galon pot
 the fruit was small . it looked like a minature A.
triloba . The fruit was moist green in color with
little flavor. This year the fruit droped before being
ripe  .We have a wild pawpaw growing in Okeechobee
 county but have not identifide it yet

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 05:07:14 PM »
I am really interested in Pawpaws and am growing a few varieties and have about 20 or so seedling I would like to eventually graft, but would like to get a bunch more, and a bunch more varieties. Does anyone know where they sell other improved varieties? I know One green world has some but I'm interested in getting more types (and cheaper trees). I lived in melborne florida 5 years ago for a year and remember seeing different pawpaw fruits growing on low plants in the forest in really sandy soil. They all grow on very little plants with some of them even growing as subshrubs. It would be interesting to hybridize them with the better tasting common pawpaw and get some interesting crosses. There is also supposedly a natural Asimina cross in Northern florida, so I think it should be fairly simple. There is also one species A tetramera, also known as the four petaled pawpaw, that is critically endangered, and only grows in Martin and Palm beach counties. My guess is that if you used one of these as a root stock it would cause the trees to dwarf a lot more.

I have heard about pond apples, but have never tried them, but have heard that they are much more cold tolerant than other Anonas. Are there any better types? I read at on a couple sites about them that the are edible but not tasty. What do they taste like?
Thanks

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
check out this list of pawpaw species my buddy showed me...he's a real pawpaw buff.

List of Florida wild Pawpaws:
Asimina angustifolia - Slimleaf Pawpaw
Asimina Incana - Woolly Pawpaw; Polecat Bush
Asimina longifolia
Asimina manasota - Manasota Pawpaw
Asimina obovata - Bigflower Pawpaw
Asimina parviflora - Smallflower Pawpaw
Asimina pygmaea - Dwarf Pawpaw
Asimina reticulata - Netted Pawpaw
Asimina spatulata
Asimina tetramera - Fourpetal Pawpaw
Asimina triloba - Common Pawpaw
Asimina x bethanyensis
Asimina x colorata
Asimina x kralii
Asimina x nashii
Asimina x oboreticulata
Asimina x peninsularis
Deeringothamnus pulchellus - Beautiful Pawpaw
Deeringothamnus rugelii - Rugel's Pawpaw
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:13:20 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »
Wow I have never even heard of the genus Deeringothamnus before this. Have you tried what they taste like?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
Jabotica,

The Asimina species that you see north of Lake Okeechobee is probably Asimina obovata, but there could be some Asimina reticulata around there also.
Har