Author Topic: Unusual eugenia species: "Gualha" and "Vietnama / Vietnamensis"  (Read 1812 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Unusual eugenia species: "Gualha" and "Vietnama / Vietnamensis"
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:14:24 PM »
As I've been going through my records and categorizing my plants, I found that I have young seedlings of two species of eugenia that I can't find any information about and which I'm not sure of the source (my best guess for both is Jim West but he doesn't list either on his site and didn't send me a shipping record). I have two seedlings of each.

The first is "Eugenia sp. 'Gualha'":

Lanky, rather wrinkled leaves, light green, slightly unusual growth habit.

The second species is alternatively labeled "Vietnama" and "Vietnamensis".

Also lanky, like a pinkish spear when sprouting (sort of like how garcinias sprouts sometimes look, but definitely not a garcinia), leaves pale and not as wrinkled as Gualha.  So far the one called "vietnama" looks pretty much the same as the one labeled "vietnamensis", so I imagine that's just a typo on my part.

I'll try to get some better pictures (in better light!) after they grow up some more. Anyone know anything about these species?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:25:22 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual eugenia species: "Gualha" and "Vietnama / Vietnamensis"
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »
Congrats on the new seedlings. I don't know anything about them, do you know anything about the fruit description?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 02:37:14 PM »
Newer pictures of "Gualha":

Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
Congrats on the new seedlings. I don't know anything about them, do you know anything about the fruit description?

I know absolutely nothing about either, unfortunately - was hoping that someone here might have heard of them. I could try to get in touch with West, on the offchance that he's the source, but I'd prefer not bother him and he's a bit hard to get ahold of.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 07:37:28 AM »
So nobody's heard of these? They've gotta be from West, then, can't imagine who else would supply seeds like that.

Makes me really curious as to what the fruit will be like! Here's to hoping that they fruit early.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:25:54 PM by KarenRei »

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
Karen,

I could be way of base here, but it seems to me that your 'Vietnamensis' bears a strong  resemblance to the E. victoriana I grew from seeds purchased from Jim West:

James

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »
Karen,

I could be way of base here, but it seems to me that your 'Vietnamensis' bears a strong  resemblance to the E. victoriana I grew from seeds purchased from Jim West:

It's as good a hypothesis as any! I can imagine how bad handwriting would morph "victoriana" into "vietnama" or "vietnamensis". I'll keep an eye on it as it grows to see if it follows an E. victoriana growth pattern.

Any ideas on "Eugenia sp. 'Gualha' "?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:28:17 PM by KarenRei »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk