Author Topic: Advice for judging canistel ripeness & when to pick them  (Read 1938 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Advice for judging canistel ripeness & when to pick them
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:19:59 PM »
I am posting this for a friend. He has an 8 year old tree. Variety unknown and if grafted unknown. He bought it at the Broward Rare Fruit club so it is probably grafted. Sometimes he waits for more ripeness, then the fruit falls off and animals eat it. So any tips are appreciated and he will read them here

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:32:16 PM by zands »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Advice for judging canistel ripeness & when to pick them
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »
Once one of the fruits falls and feeds the animals, most, if not all of, the remainder of the fruits on the tree are harvestable as being mature.  Then they can be picked, hard, but fully yellow in color, and ripened on the countertop in the kitchen.  Or, you can do a bag of some sort, usually mesh (as in the mesh bags that you might get onions in) and allow the fruit to fall into the bag without hitting the ground. Most canistels have to very, very soft before they reach full flavor.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for judging canistel ripeness & when to pick them
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
Once one of the fruits falls and feeds the animals, most, if not all of, the remainder of the fruits on the tree are harvestable as being mature.  Then they can be picked, hard, but fully yellow in color, and ripened on the countertop in the kitchen.  Or, you can do a bag of some sort, usually mesh (as in the mesh bags that you might get onions in) and allow the fruit to fall into the bag without hitting the ground. Most canistels have to very, very soft before they reach full flavor.

Harry

Thanks for that advice......I'll tell him to read it. I once opened a canistel and it was blah and unsweet. I put it in the refrigerator, forgot about it. Three weeks later it tasted sweeter and a lot better.