Author Topic: What's your least favorite fruit and why????  (Read 37588 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: What's your least favorite fruit and why????
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:25 AM »
:o perssimons taste AMAZING

so i'm the only person that likes to eat noni out of hand  ::)

if you want something bad...really bad that smells like burnt plastic, try mocambo(then again it's probably not supposed to be eaten like that?)

Persimmons are one of my all time favorite fruits. There are so many different cultivars, and most people that don't like them either have only eaten one, and then eaten it before fully ripened. It can be a very bad experience with the astringent types if you don't let them fully ripen. Like with all fruits you have to know when to eat them.
Mocambo, i guess you mean Theobroma bicolor? It can be quite good if eaten at right stage, tasting somethin like chempadek. I've heard different types exist and some are better than others...as is the case with most fruits.
I don't really consider the noni a dessert fruit. More like a medicinal. If i had terminal cancer i probably could bring myself to eat one!  ;)
Oscar

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2013, 09:44:37 AM »
Can't pinpoint my single least favorite fruit, but there are some I do not care for. Wax jambu tastes like i am biting into a rose, really gross. Had some frozen durian, definitely tasted like sauteed onions and garlic, maybe i would like it if i ate it with steak.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
Durian, had it for the first time...................Undescribable :blank: ??? :o For me is one of those fruits that you eat once just to say, I tasted it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »
Had a mexican mango from a supermarket in S. California. To me it's one of those fruits you taste just once to say you've had it. It was very bland, tasteless, stringy, and blah, so all mangos must be bad!  :o ::)
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »
My first durian was truly awful. I tried eating it all, but gave up half way through. Might as well have kept going as the taste lingered for hours. The taste was what I imagined a NY Chinatown gutter tastes like in mid summer. Hints of rotting cabbage, sauteed onions, curdled sour cream, extra aged brie. I actually like fermented cabbage, sauteed onions and very mature cheeses, but this was much worse and does those a diss-service. The good news is, there are really nice ones out there, so dont give up after one bad experience. Having said that, a bad durian is probably the worst of the bad fruit you can try.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 10:04:47 PM »
My first durian was truly awful. I tried eating it all, but gave up half way through. Might as well have kept going as the taste lingered for hours. The taste was what I imagined a NY Chinatown gutter tastes like in mid summer. Hints of rotting cabbage, sauteed onions, curdled sour cream, extra aged brie. I actually like fermented cabbage, sauteed onions and very mature cheeses, but this was much worse and does those a diss-service. The good news is, there are really nice ones out there, so dont give up after one bad experience. Having said that, a bad durian is probably the worst of the bad fruit you can try.

I thought exactly the same about Durians in the past, add to your description smelly feet/armpits. Now i can eat them and even enjoy it but how can you pick a good one if you see them all packed in cellofane on the market? My wife feels how soft the pieces are because harder ones seem to be better. I only ate mongthong so far but soon i will try other types. Some vendors peel them infront of you, what should i look for if they peel it for me?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »

I thought exactly the same about Durians in the past, add to your description smelly feet/armpits. Now i can eat them and even enjoy it but how can you pick a good one if you see them all packed in cellofane on the market? My wife feels how soft the pieces are because harder ones seem to be better. I only ate mongthong so far but soon i will try other types. Some vendors peel them infront of you, what should i look for if they peel it for me?

Wow, even after hearing about this so many times it is still incomprehensible to me as to why Thais would prefer hard durian ???
Durian should be soft creamy pocket of goodness, not some hard crunchy apple!! Are you still going to Singapore later this year? Please please try Musang King while over there. Just have some cheaper durian first. Than you will truly appreciate greatness of this variety and durians in general.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2013, 01:59:18 AM »

Ok, I will give it another although my experience was rough.

Oscar, by the way, most of those store bought mangoes aren't very good. There are only a few exceptions.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2013, 02:49:45 AM »

Ok, I will give it another although my experience was rough.

Oscar, by the way, most of those store bought mangoes aren't very good. There are only a few exceptions.

Exactly my point! And where did you get your durian? Wasn't it from a store?  ::)  I bet it was shipped from a lot further place than Mexico! My main point: don't judge durian, or any other fruit, that's shipped clear from the other side of the planet.
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2013, 06:52:43 AM »
I thought this was a hate thread?

Too much love here.

Noni, Blech!!!

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »

Wow, even after hearing about this so many times it is still incomprehensible to me as to why Thais would prefer hard durian ???
Durian should be soft creamy pocket of goodness, not some hard crunchy apple!! Are you still going to Singapore later this year? Please please try Musang King while over there. Just have some cheaper durian first. Than you will truly appreciate greatness of this variety and durians in general.

Well the "hard" durianflesh is not really hard but hard enough so you can lift a piece of it to bite.
The soft ones are so soft that you even cannot pick it by hand, you need a spoon or so.

I guess they dont like the soft pieces because they might fall on your lap or don't have a bite because it is mushy. For me the hard and soft ones all taste the same, only the texture is a bit different.

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
I hate wanis (stinky white mango). They smell like rotting corpse mixed with overly strong perfume. Disgusting. Especially when my husband eats them and then wants to kiss me.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
I hate wanis (stinky white mango). They smell like rotting corpse mixed with overly strong perfume. Disgusting. Especially when my husband eats them and then wants to kiss me.

Wani? They are among the more coveted fruit on this forum, especially after that fruit hunters documentary, lol.

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2013, 02:33:13 PM »
Pomegranate.
   It's the most productive tree in my yard.
    Fruits several times a year, and I still can't get anything edible from it!

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »
Do you know what variety yours is? Often I hear the more humid FL tolerant pomegranates just aren't very good.
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »

Wani? They are among the more coveted fruit on this forum, especially after that fruit hunters documentary, lol.
That's blasphemy in these parts!  ;D

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2013, 04:26:55 PM »
That sounds like my first durian experience.  A whole frozen Monthong.  We didn't really know what to do with it.  The cashier at the Asian grocery said to leave it out for a day or so.  Big mistake.  It tasted just like you described. ..completely inedible.
Fortunately, I tried another one and opened it after a couple of hours at room temp.  YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I have limited tropical fruit tasting experience, but so far I'd say my least favorite is Bilimbi.  So sour!  Maybe it's used for something else, because not sure why anyone would want to eat it raw :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2013, 07:14:38 PM »

Have you seen the Fruit Hunters movie? A large portion of it is dedicated to the hunt of wani by Richard Campbell and Noris Ledesma. It talks about how they have been trying to get scion wood for 20 years to take in Florida. They treat it like the holy grail!  :o
Oscar

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »

Have you seen the Fruit Hunters movie? A large portion of it is dedicated to the hunt of wani by Richard Campbell and Noris Ledesma. It talks about how they have been trying to get scion wood for 20 years to take in Florida. They treat it like the holy grail!  :o

Holy grail? Seemed a bit more than just some old holy grail. Think holy grail times 2 raised to the third power, then multiplied by 1,000,000.

To be honest, they were being kind of stupid. If it won't take on M. indica, then bring back seeds on one expedition, then on the next one, bring back scions. 20 years of work cut into 3.

digigarden

• digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2013, 11:01:06 PM »

Holy grail? Seemed a bit more than just some old holy grail. Think holy grail times 2 raised to the third power, then multiplied by 1,000,000.

To be honest, they were being kind of stupid. If it won't take on M. indica, then bring back seeds on one expedition, then on the next one, bring back scions. 20 years of work cut into 3.

i think it is illegal to bring that seed but they can just bring the cuttings and micropropagate in a lab...

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »

Or just graft it over there, and then import the tree with all the quarantine requirements .
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
To be absolutely honest, i think that they did do that already, and put on the big show for the sake of the television.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »
To be absolutely honest, i think that they did do that already, and put on the big show for the sake of the television.
I don't know if that's the case or not, but it would not surprise me in the least, based on my experience with the media/showbiz. 
Surely the folks at Fairchild have tried every legally possible solution.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »
spending 20 years trying to do the same thing just doesn't ring true.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2013, 01:44:50 PM »
I don't know if that's the case or not, but it would not surprise me in the least, based on my experience with the media/showbiz. 
Surely the folks at Fairchild have tried every legally possible solution.

Yeah... at one point, when I was looking to buy a house here, my family was thinking about trying to get me on House Hunters International.  After looking into it, basically, the show is fake.  Everyone on that show has already picked and either purchased or contracted to purchase the house they want.  The other houses are houses that they looked at and considered but rejected, but they have to fake going through them again and pretend that they're considering purchasing them.

That's TV for ya!
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk