Author Topic: What would be a good companion for my Peach Cobbler Tree?  (Read 5793 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What would be a good companion for my Peach Cobbler Tree?
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 10:05:08 PM »
Cac I only had it twice, not for me either time. I will not give up on Phoenix either. Was yours off of a grafted tree?

It was off a tree that was top worked at least a few years ago.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »
interesting! We shall see.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 10:37:26 PM »
I pruned off the 3 main middle branches on my phoenix & this is how it looks like right now. Oh and tommy atkins taste superb paired with miracle fruit. :o

https://ibb.co/ijLaGy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:40:18 PM by gozp »

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:03 PM »

Pineapple Pleasure may work as a partner on your Peach Cobbler.  They have two different fruiting seasons.

This is helpful. Im glad i have those 2 grafted on my ataulfo rootstock.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 03:58:29 AM »
That was Rob but the fruit was taken from the mother tree I believe and am pretty much sure of. These grafted trees are different animals.  It is an amazing tree, very healthy and vibrant. I will let mine fruit one time to prove if it stays or gets the ax. Do not need multiple years to tell if it has value!

I should have let my  15 gal Phoenix hold fruit this year to evaluate. Good thing i havent planted it in-ground. It may or may not improve flavor here in our dry California weather.

15 gal Phoenix???  It was just released about a year and a half ago, how big could it have been in a 15 gal pot in California?
This is what it looks like b4 it was sent to me last year.

https://ibb.co/bSf2UJ

(I was told i got the authentic phoenix unless something is cooking?)

You got that tree last year?  That tree looks to be about 8-10 feet tall?  While anything is possible, its a little suspicious to me.  I wont ask where it was from...

It also looked to be in no condition to hold any fruit.

Well, you can see the Pine Island Fruitscapes sign in the background of the pic  ::) ::) ::) ::)

I buy most of my trees there, I’ve bought over a dozen there alone. Always healthy trees in very good condition. Unless you have proof of something maybe you should keep your mouth shut so to speak. They treat me very well there.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 08:27:23 AM »
Coach,

BSBullie says a Phoenix tree that big is suspicious because of the length of time the variety has been in development.  That guys knows more about Mangos than most of us ever will and I trust his views even though he has hammered at me before.  The tree is CLEARLY in front of a sign from Fruitscapes.  How else do you explain that tree being in front of Fruitscapes?????  Did it just grow legs and walk there on its own?
 Maybe hitchhiked there?  Maybe you should open the picture up and use your eyes instead of telling me to keep my mouth shut and look at the picture Gosp posted.

I'm not trying to troll anybody or make any allegations but if I see a picture of a recently purchased tree in front of a nursery I would think the tree is purchased from that nursery.  Logic.

Gosp - if you didn't purchase the tree from Fruitscapes I apologize but even your edit says "I was told I got the authentic Phoenix unless something is cooking" so you admit something could be up.

Many people have been burned here buying one tree and getting another from various places and from what I've read I will take BSBullie's opinion on a Mango tree variety over what a nursery tag may be or say.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »
Fruitscapes in Bokelia is a great honest place. I have known Steve for over 20 years. He personally said his Phoenix is a sour tasting fruit, and unfortunately I was the one who told him to get it. Reax everyone, it is only a damn tree. Who knows, they may turn out to be ok. I read somewhere that a guy on here said Gary Zill was not happy with his Phoenix and chopped it down to the ground and it came back and fruited excellent fruit. I saw this last night and forgot the guys name!

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 08:54:21 AM »
Looks like the tree was bought from Fruitscapes  and then shipped to gozp.
Quentin

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »
Ok, it was from that Russian chic who buys from him out there.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »
I would graft peach cobbler on peach cobbler as it’s hard to beat.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 10:26:58 AM »
  Ok, what am I missing here?  PC to P.C, Brilliant. lol

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
Coach,

BSBullie says a Phoenix tree that big is suspicious because of the length of time the variety has been in development.  That guys knows more about Mangos than most of us ever will and I trust his views even though he has hammered at me before.  The tree is CLEARLY in front of a sign from Fruitscapes.  How else do you explain that tree being in front of Fruitscapes?????  Did it just grow legs and walk there on its own?
 Maybe hitchhiked there?  Maybe you should open the picture up and use your eyes instead of telling me to keep my mouth shut and look at the picture Gosp posted.

I'm not trying to troll anybody or make any allegations but if I see a picture of a recently purchased tree in front of a nursery I would think the tree is purchased from that nursery.  Logic.

Gosp - if you didn't purchase the tree from Fruitscapes I apologize but even your edit says "I was told I got the authentic Phoenix unless something is cooking" so you admit something could be up.

Many people have been burned here buying one tree and getting another from various places and from what I've read I will take BSBullie's opinion on a Mango tree variety over what a nursery tag may be or say.

You implied that Steve and Fruitscapes was a dishonest business, a libelous statement for which you had no evidence.  You did so with your sarcastic statement followed by several  ::) ::) ::) - called rolleyes for a reason.  You did not simply state it was from Fruitscapes, had you done so I would have had no issue with it. You had to follow up with several rolleyes.

You obviously don't understand how hard it is to own and operate an honest business.  Their prices - by far - are some of the best I've found anywhere.  Someone has a post here from a few days ago where Steve traded out a tree that they bought, then didn't care for the fruit.  I had a macadamia nut tree that died after several months, he replaced it without issue.  It's in a pot waiting to go into the ground right now. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 08:07:44 PM »
Steve is the best, a true class act. I think I first met him in 1994 or maybe earlier and he put in the time and climbed the ladder the hard way. I actually helped him move tons of trees from Treehouse to his business when they first started out with Fruitscapes.