Author Topic: Indonesian/Malaysian mango's  (Read 12505 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Indonesian/Malaysian mango's
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:11:18 AM »
There are soo many Indonesian or Malaysian mango's that we never heard of.

Can anybody tell me if that wani from bali is really a nice to have?

Or which ones are the best mango's from Indonesia/Malaysia?

Thailand only has the Namdocmai but there must be soo much more here in Asia.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Indonesian/Malaysian mango's
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »

Growing Aromanis (also spelled Harumanis and other ways) and now Golek just grafted this year.

Among different mangifera species from Indonesia and Malaysia I'm growing Mangifera odorata (Kuini) and Casturi. These are still too young to fruit for me but I've had casturi. Some people liken the flavor to lychee. Its a small, purple, fibrous fruit.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:44:06 AM by Squam256 »

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:48:03 PM »
Sorry, never knew of "Wani" from Bali is, even though I was raised in the neighbor island
of Java for 28 years.. But, at that time, I was not particularly paying much attention of the many varieties
/qualities that were available on mango or any other fruit for that matter.

But 2 varieties seem to stand out to me; those that being grown by Squam: Harumanis (I believe
the local name is "Gadung") my number 1 choice; and "Golek", my number 2...until a few weeks
ago when I got an opportunity to taste some NDM I bought from a Vietnamese fruit vendor (thanks to Osito
for posting their address -on another tread-);
NDM reminds me of Golek, in their shape, color, smooth; fiberless and sweetness, even the taste, but NDM
is got slightly stronger (desirable to me) mango  flavor.

So, so far in my limited exposure to mango, my favorites are in this order: Harumanis, NDM then Golek.
I am growing young Golek and NDM, but still searching for Harumanis scion...
Sam

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 01:59:43 AM »
here My version of

Top 5 Indonesian Mango:

Gadung/Arum Manis

Manalagi Situbondo

Madu Anggur

Gedong Gincu

Golek

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 04:23:31 AM »

Growing Aromanis (also spelled Harumanis and other ways) and now Golek just grafted this year.

Among different mangifera species from Indonesia and Malaysia I'm growing Mangifera odorata (Kuini) and Casturi. These are still too young to fruit for me but I've had casturi. Some people liken the flavor to lychee. Its a small, purple, fibrous fruit.
Lychee?  :o You gotta be kidding? Casturi tastes just like mango! Nothing in it like lychee.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 04:26:43 AM »
here My version of

Top 5 Indonesian Mango:

Gadung/Arum Manis

Manalagi Situbondo

Madu Anggur

Gedong Gincu

Golek
I have a large fruiting Harumanis and am quite pleased with it. The fruits are very large, fiber free, very productive, and nice tasting! Don't have any of the other Indonesian cultivars you mention. I wrote a report on Harumanis in a thread quite a few months ago.
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »
Sorry, never knew of "Wani" from Bali is, even though I was raised in the neighbor island
of Java for 28 years.. But, at that time, I was not particularly paying much attention of the many varieties

But 2 varieties seem to stand out to me; those that being grown by Squam: Harumanis (I believe
the local name is "Gadung") my number 1 choice; and "Golek", my number 2...until a few weeks
ago when I got an opportunity to taste some NDM I bought from a Vietnamese fruit vendor (thanks to Osito
NDM reminds me of Golek, in their shape, color, smooth; fiberless and sweetness, even the taste, but NDM
Sorry I post before scrolling all the way down!

So, so far in my limited exposure to mango, my favorites are in this order: Harumanis, NDM then Golek.
Oscar, ( fruit lovers.com ) has harumanis scions!
sorry I post before scrolling all the way down!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:22:31 AM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »

Sorry I post before scrolling all the way down!

Oscar, ( fruit lovers.com ) has harumanis scions!
sorry I post before scrolling all the way down!

Yes but he wants a monthly salary for some scions, better order from the Indonesian members they also have many more variety's and fruitseeds then him.

I have never seen a mango that you can cut and then pull the pit out like on that pic. That's what i call completely fibreless. Namdocmai is sure not completely fibreless like this one.

There are more wani mango's but the best one comes from Bali is what i read.

Are there also nice ma-maprang (mango-plum) in Indo-Malay?

I have been all over java and bali and never seen any mango there. They are not easy to find like in Thailand where they sell them on every street.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:56:33 PM by bangkok »

afriadoni

• thanks God , i was born in paradise :)
    • jl. ganesha 01,kotabumi,Lampung , Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • tropicalseeds.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 12:15:55 AM »
hello , i think best mango was Kueni ( Mangifera X Odorata ), sweet taste with aromatic smell . ;D

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:10:51 AM by afriadoni »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 04:12:53 AM »
Yes but he wants a monthly salary for some scions, better order from the Indonesian members they also have many more variety's and fruitseeds then him.

I guess you must make then make a total of $5 in a whole month there in Bangkok?  :o  Because that is what all my scions cost. I guess this is another attempt by you to recommend your favorite vendor, the well known scammer and con artist Dorgon? Geez, what a jerk! Really you should change your user name to: Dorgon Lover.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 05:34:58 AM »

I guess you must make then make a total of $5 in a whole month there in Bangkok?  :o  Because that is what all my scions cost. I guess this is another attempt by you to recommend your favorite vendor, the well known scammer and con artist Dorgon? Geez, what a jerk! Really you should change your user name to: Dorgon Lover.

What about the minum order from 100us$ plus 60 for shipping?

But if your block doesn't work you could also just shut up mate. Go sell your Tommy Atkins mango's on the markets or so.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »

mangga apel ko ko

Is this a nice mango? I 've seen the tree of this one for sale in Bangkok.
http://ibushella.blogspot.com/2010/06/r-u-j-k-j-ak-rujak.html

http://wa388.com/?fn=bibit_mangga
This is a mangoseed seller who has a lot and a great website.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:12:31 AM by bangkok »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »
hello , i think best mango was Kueni ( Mangifera X Odorata ), sweet taste with aromatic smell . ;D

Do they sell those on all the markets or are they hard to find? I just don't want to miss them if i go to indonesia.

afriadoni

• thanks God , i was born in paradise :)
    • jl. ganesha 01,kotabumi,Lampung , Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • tropicalseeds.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »
you could find them usually in local traditional market .  :) but here in Sumatra ..

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »

What about the minum order from 100us$ plus 60 for shipping?

But if your block doesn't work you could also just shut up mate. Go sell your Tommy Atkins mango's on the markets or so.

Dorgon Lover, if you can get Dorgon to send you just one piece of scion wood, for less than your monthly salary of $5, and with free shipping, then you should do that! Maybe you would like to get some Junglesop scion or Durio macrantha scion from him? Or how about some more of those mangosteens that produce in only 18 months? Or some other fairy tale plants that live only in your imagination?  ::) ::) ::)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »
Golem and Apple were 2 of the preferred indonesian/Malaysian mangoes trialed here that didn't make it in commercial and horticultural circles.KP and it's decendants just swamped the competition and met more with public favor.A few thai varieties have made an impression andare now popular.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
Golem and Apple were 2 of the preferred indonesian/Malaysian mangoes trialed here that didn't make it in commercial and horticultural circles.KP and it's decendants just swamped the competition and met more with public favor.A few thai varieties have made an impression andare now popular.

Well i ate one r2e2 from Australia but i guess it was selected for it's shelflife. Osteen also has the very thick skin and tastes better in my opinion. Not that i care though, i grow both of them, i want a cocktailtree with all great tasting but also goodlooking mango's.

But i didn't read raving reviews about the red apple mango (translated by Chrome).
I will get KP scions soon and loads of others, i hope to eat them soon.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »
R2E2 is trash and comparing it to its KP mother is like comparing the kittyhawk to the space shuttle.The just look like KP but are insipid.No one here eats them.Within 3km of me I have counted over 200 KP trees and went around the corner to a council park that no one uses and plucked 30 fruit from the 6 KP trees that are 60 feet tall.There are thousands but not quite ripe.
This slagging off at KPs and their progeny has me  convinced that only counterfeits are in the US.Scungy green brumbies are in every photo from the US of KP but I look out the window at giant red flushed KPs from arsehole to breakfast time and it is confirmed.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »

I picked very green and small mangoes around the corner from my house.They are getting towards full size,have little red flushing yet and are hard enough to crack macadmias.Being in the public domain I just couldn't help myself so I helped myself.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 11:53:30 PM »

One more lap of the neighborhood.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 07:07:40 AM »
Here we go again with the Aussies trying to coronate KP as King of the Mangos.  Taste buds must be upside down in the Southern Hemisphere. 👅

R2E2 is trash and comparing it to its KP mother is like comparing the kittyhawk to the space shuttle.The just look like KP but are insipid.No one here eats them.Within 3km of me I have counted over 200 KP trees and went around the corner to a council park that no one uses and plucked 30 fruit from the 6 KP trees that are 60 feet tall.There are thousands but not quite ripe.
This slagging off at KPs and their progeny has me  convinced that only counterfeits are in the US.Scungy green brumbies are in every photo from the US of KP but I look out the window at giant red flushed KPs from arsehole to breakfast time and it is confirmed.
JC

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »
haha.  It has to be the climate, because the KP at the Fruit and Spice park tasting (with over 100 types) last year was ho-hum.  Very bland flavor, like a grocery store mango. Near the bottom of the list (but above the insipid ones like Hong sa and Not ott)  Must be something different about them down under. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 06:25:53 PM »
I think the version of KP in USA must be the first named, and the version they're currently eating in Australia is KP #397856? Probably the Aussies are as ignorant of fine cultivars in Florida as Floridians are of the fine line of KP's in Australia. But still it's one cultivar in Australia versus how many cultivars in Florida?  :o
Oscar

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 07:38:09 PM »
I think the version of KP in USA must be the first named, and the version they're currently eating in Australia is KP #397856? Probably the Aussies are as ignorant of fine cultivars in Florida as Floridians are of the fine line of KP's in Australia. But still it's one cultivar in Australia versus how many cultivars in Florida?  :o

I think the issue is that most of the Florida cultivars in Australia are old varieties like Haden, Kent, Irwin, Palmer, Brooks, etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk