Author Topic: Giant mango's  (Read 4471 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Giant mango's
« on: December 15, 2014, 07:30:30 AM »
So we had the mini mango's and this thread is about the giant mango's.

http://www.pohonbuahnursery.com/p/selamat-datang.html

Xin Jing and Red Ivory

Cok Pai Boon and Yuwen

Here are some pics of giant mango's grown in Thailand although Yuwen comes from Taiwan. I also grow a few giant ones now.

Are there also giant mango's elsewhere on the world? ??

Golden Queen, Keo Jay are also giant ones but do they also taste as nice as the normal sized mango's? Anybody tried them yet?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Giant mango's
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »
Leo Manuel has a couple Giants growing in his yard in San Diego. When I visited him last week, he just harvested one that was about 3-4 pounds and that was not his biggest one. He said he had one about football sized earlier in the year.

Simon

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »
Leo Manuel has a couple Giants growing in his yard in San Diego. When I visited him last week, he just harvested one that was about 3-4 pounds and that was not his biggest one. He said he had one about football sized earlier in the year.

Simon

A football is a rugbyball right? That's a huge one then.

I also wonder if a mangotree can give the same amount of giant mango's compared to the normal sized ones. It sure is easyier to pick/netbag/peel them. But if those whoppers also grow in bunches then the tree will need very strong branches to support them.

Maybe i should make a cocktail tree with only giant and mini mango's. It sure will look great and in a tourist location will be photographed all day i guess.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »
I know you have this issue and/or fascination with extremes however that does not make it a good or worthy fruit.  I have seen many 3lb - 5lb Keitt mangoes.  While they may look good on the scale, the smaller Keitts are of far superior quality.  Here is a picture of a 5lb mango from a local tree here.  The variety details were unknown but was k own to be SE Asian.   I say 'were" cause the fruit was insipid.   The entire tree was top worked.  Nobody cared about size.

- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »
I know you have this issue and/or fascination with extremes however that does not make it a good or worthy fruit.  I have seen many 3lb - 5lb Keitt mangoes.  While they may look good on the scale, the smaller Keitts are of far superior quality.  Here is a picture of a 5lb mango from a local tree here.  The variety details were unknown but was k own to be SE Asian.   I say 'were" cause the fruit was insipid.   The entire tree was top worked.  Nobody cared about size.

Wow that's a big one. I don't know Keitt but i have a scion grafted now.

The biggest ndm-gold go for the highest prices here, that is untill 1 kg or 2lbs i think. I have seen bigger ones though but that's on the or-tor-kor cheaters market for tourists. I don't buy fruit there or it has to be something very special that i 've never seen before.

But i still wonder how can we get normal mango's in giant size? Is it a matter of fertilizer or water? Not that i'm willing to get bland mango's but i want to know all the ins and outs of mangogrowing.

Actually for all fruit in Thailand the biggest ones fetch the highest price according to weight. Especially Chinese customers need big ones.

But i can't wait to pick a giant red mango from my own tree, sure that will be the talk of the town here.

Also i would like to know which of the giant mango's tastes the best, or produces the most fruit. It's just a different league of mangogrowing. Same for the mini's. If they really taste as good as let's say a ndm then i want to grow them.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
How about as a generalization-- Real large mangoes will have less concentrated sugars and tastes? So tend to be inferior. The plus side is the large size is what paying customers like to see. They think they are getting more mango via the lower seed to flesh ratio.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »
How about as a generalization-- Real large mangoes will have less concentrated sugars and tastes? So tend to be inferior. The plus side is the large size is what paying customers like to see. They think they are getting more mango via the lower seed to flesh ratio.

On this same concept, is it safe to say Pina Colada produces a relatively small mango with large seed, yet produces an outstanding Mango because of the concentration put into a small amount of flesh?

Tell me something good about this tree lol
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 12:14:16 AM »
Larger mangoes tend not to ripen well on trees evenly.  Golden queen mango in Taiwan has to be ripened chemically off the tree.  I think the same applies to Yuwen and red ivory.  The mango is decent but not top notch in my opinion.  There is minimal fiber and some pineapple taste to it.  I would say it's one of the better commercial mangos that I have tasted.
Robert

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
I have had some 5-6 pound Lancetilla mangoes that were quite impressive in appearance.  They do tend to have serious ripening issues with the lower portion of the fruit tending to ripen earlier than the remainder of the fruit. I'm looking for a picture to post. Again, as pointed out, size, while impressive to some, does not make the eating experience any better.  The best Lanceltilla mangoes have decent flavor but will never win top honors at any respectable tasting table.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 01:56:32 AM »

This apple mango can also be giant, fruits weigh 2.5 kg that is 5 lbs.

I had to buy me one of those grafted tree's for my addiction  :P

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:08:29 AM by bangkok »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk