Author Topic: Best Tropical Fruit Books  (Read 33290 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tropical Fruit Books
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2013, 12:33:15 AM »
Anybody read this book?  Is it worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0851992544/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=17JHY0K4TF0GN6Z7YY6K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I'm not 100% sure, but this book, published 1998, appears to be the predecessor to the two volumes I described above, published 2010 and 1012. 
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2013, 06:34:31 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0851992544/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=17JHY0K4TF0GN6Z7YY6K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I think for a hobbyist it's not worth it. Tends to be rather technical. I judge a book by how often i crack it open. And this is one of the one that hardly is ever opened.
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2013, 07:12:08 AM »

I think for a hobbyist it's not worth it. Tends to be rather technical. I judge a book by how often i crack it open. And this is one of the one that hardly is ever opened.

Seems a reasonable way of valuing a book.  John also brings up a good possibility that this book was replaced with Vol 1 and 2 of the books John recommended.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2013, 09:07:19 AM »
Copies of the out of print Julia Morton "Fruits of Warm Climate" appeared on eBay.  The book is currently available online at Purdue University, but what will you do if they take the book offline?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fruits-of-Warm-Climates-Morton-Julia-F-/161077646298?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »

Manual Of Tropical and Subtropical Fruits: Excluding The Banana, Coconut, Pineapple, Citrus Fruits, Olive and Fig
By: Wilson Popenoe, 1920

Adiel, my copy was printed in 1974 by Hafner Press.  The hard cover color is kind of orange/pink.  Very cool looking and excellent book

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
You can preserve your rare collectible books with mylar covers, similar to those used by libraries. 

Amazon.com has them.  Search for "mylar book covers"  The pre-cut and folded covers are much easier to use than the rolls of mylar.
www.FLMangos.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
Copies of the out of print Julia Morton "Fruits of Warm Climate" appeared on eBay.  The book is currently available online at Purdue University, but what will you do if they take the book offline?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fruits-of-Warm-Climates-Morton-Julia-F-/161077646298?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

Not likely to go off line as the Morton book has been up for very many years on the Purdue university website. But if you're really worried about it you could download it to your computer. I think though it's good to have a hard copy book also as it's sometimes so much more enjoyable to browse through a book than to stare at a screen.
Oscar

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »
May i suggest "medicinal plants of costa rica" by ed bernhardt? It's a pretty good resource about of some of the medical benifits of some commonly found tropical plants, maybe not necessarily all fruits, but still a good read.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2013, 07:46:31 PM »
Are there any good magazines or periodicals on tropical fruit culture?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »
One of my favorite books on propagating tropical fruits is "The Propagation of Tropical Fruit Trees" by Garner, Chaudhri, et.al., 1976.  Although out of print, I noticed there are still a few used copies available on Amazon.

Here's the review I just wrote on Amazon.com: 

An excellent book on the propagation techniques for most popular tropical fruits.  Each chapter consists of a thorough compilation of related scientific literature up to 1976, organized well.  This book tends towards the scientific and is not for the casual gardener, but is surprising easy to read. 

The first section, titled "Materials and Methods," covers general nursery techniques, and then devotes approximately 150 pages on various methods of seed and vegetative propagation, including 50 well-illustrated pages on grafting.

The remaining 380 pages are devoted to the propagation of specific tree fruit. Chapter titles cover Cashew, Anonna, Breadfruit, Jackfruit, Carambola, Papaya, Star Apple, Durian, Rose Apple & relatives, Mangosteen, Langsat, Barbados Cherry, Mango, Sapodilla, Jaboticaba, Rambutan, Guava, and Indian Jujube.  Of the popular fruits, only Banana and Coconut seem to be missing.

Though a little dated, this is one of my favorite books because it focuses on propagation.  For more recent and general coverage of many of the same tree fruits, consider [[ASIN:1845936728 Tropical Fruits, Volume 1 (Crop Production Science in Horticulture)]] and [[ASIN:1845937899 Tropical Fruits, Volume II (Crop Production Science in Horticulture)]]

http://www.amazon.com/Propagation-Tropical-Fruit-Horticultural-Review/dp/0851983510/

John
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:39:59 PM by jcaldeira »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »

CRFG's (California Rare Fruit Growers) Fruit Gardener magazine, website: http://crfg.org It covers tropical as well as sub tropical and some temperate fruits. It's been published for a long time and you can get back issues and an index to all the back issues.
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »

CRFG's (California Rare Fruit Growers) Fruit Gardener magazine, website: http://crfg.org It covers tropical as well as sub tropical and some temperate fruits. It's been published for a long time and you can get back issues and an index to all the back issues.

Everyone should join the CRFG just to get this magazine. I've been a member for a few years now and the quality of articles is always excellent. I wish the FL rare fruit groups would join with the CRFG so everyone here would get a good magazine as well. The FL magazines aren't really that good.

JonathonForester

• Pinellas Co, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »
Hey, I was looking around on the internet and on the forum, Any recommendations for a Lorenzi style book on Asian fruit and nut identification? It seems like the quality and quantity of books drops pretty greatly once you cross the Atlantic. Most of what I've seen for Asian ID is pretty fluffy without much detail or diversity which I know doesn't reflect the actual case of  species diversity in that region. Can some one offer up some recommendations and prove me wrong. Thanks in advance and sorry for bumping this 3yr old thread back up the board. Any other books people want to add that were released in the last 3 years would be welcome too. :)

I would say books and fruits hold about equal footing in my heart.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »
I love "Living With The Trees of Life" by Roger Leakey. 
It doesn't have much to do with cultivation practices as we know them, other than some info on propagation, but it is a good argument for diversified agroforestry in developing countries.  It "highlights an innovative approach to resolving the big issues of poverty, malnutrition, hunger and environmental degradation including climate change."  Plus, it has a picture of a "bush butter" fruit on the cover!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »
Hey, I was looking around on the internet and on the forum, Any recommendations for a Lorenzi style book on Asian fruit and nut identification? It seems like the quality and quantity of books drops pretty greatly once you cross the Atlantic. Most of what I've seen for Asian ID is pretty fluffy without much detail or diversity which I know doesn't reflect the actual case of  species diversity in that region. Can some one offer up some recommendations and prove me wrong. Thanks in advance and sorry for bumping this 3yr old thread back up the board. Any other books people want to add that were released in the last 3 years would be welcome too. :)

I would say books and fruits hold about equal footing in my heart.
Fruit books about Asian fruits. These are all oldies, but goodies:
PROSEA 2 - Edible Fruits and Nuts
Wayside Trees of Malaya, E.J.H. Corner
Malayan Fruits, Betty Molesworth Allen
very old, but still classic: Fruit anf Fruit Culture in the Dutch East Indies, J.J. Ochse
Oscar

Acacia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2019, 11:16:07 PM »
Can anybody recommend a book to learn basic latin?

Looking at purchasing Botanical Latin by William T. Stearn

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »
Mangoes by Kostermann
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Botanicus

• North Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2019, 08:11:39 AM »

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2019, 10:24:57 AM »
Available free online

Manual of tropical and subtropical fruits, excluding the banana, coconut, pineapple, citrus fruits, olive, and fig by Popenoe, Wilson - https://archive.org/details/manualoftropical00poperich

Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2020, 10:41:07 PM »
You can preserve your rare collectible books with mylar covers, similar to those used by libraries. 

Amazon.com has them.  Search for "mylar book covers"  The pre-cut and folded covers are much easier to use than the rolls of mylar.

I know this is an old post but it seemed useful to mention Brodart Library Supplies which offers good quality mylar covers of several types and sizes which I feel are an excellent value and price for anyone who's wanting to protect a number of books in their personal library.

Here is contact info for BRODART:

http://www.shopbrodart.com/book-covers/
http://www.shopbrodart.com/search/?q=covers%2bdust%2bjacket
TEL: (888) 820-4377

They are located in Williamsport, PA.  I have ordered from them half a dozen times and they ship promptly. Their items have always arrived undamaged and well packed.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==