Author Topic: Cooler temps of Fall in Central FL, appreciated by Campomanesia and Myrciaria!  (Read 3333 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
here are some myrtaceous plants, enjoying the current temperature trends of about 45F-78F, during this Fall in Central FL.

This time of year, they don't need as much water, which makes them less prone to nutrient deficiencies, due to repeated exposure to my high ph city water! (this is my theory).

My two largest Campomanesia hirsuta...they don't seem to enjoy high temps and high humidity...or high ph...this time of year they've really perked up, and shown some nice new red tinted growth....unlike during the warmer months.

One of my oldest grafted jaboticaba (m. spirito santensis), it's about 8 months old, from being grafted...and it's out grown any 1 yr old seedling I've seen of this species.  Hopefully next year I can prove my theory, about how to make this species to fruit very quickly, by using mature wood for grafting, that had flower buds present prior to harvesting it.  It looks like my predictions could come true, and if I'm right, flowers could form as early as April of 2013, which would be about 14 moths from grafting.

Unidentified Myrciaria/Plinia species, pushing out lush new red growth!  This grafted tree is very happy so far.  I hope it flowers within 7 yrs...the tree I took scions from was not mature yet.  I can't wait to figure out what it is.

Grafted queen Hayri Eugenia involucrata looking happy, I will be thrilled if it flowers this spring....a fruit would be icing on the cake.

and a cocktail mango tree, just for the heck of it. LOL  the pickering scion is about to out grow the cogshall scion!  But cogshall looks like it wants to push out, so maybe it will even out the race in December?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Good looking plants  Adam, thanks for sharing.
Richard

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
anytime Richard!

I have more pics to share soon.

thanks!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
That unknown one looks quite attractive. A mature tree must be stunning
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Great pix saff.I remember when a giant (20ft?) M.ss was dozed down about 16 years ago at a research station.I has feasted of 2 of them for a year beforehand and they were prolific but not like sabara.They flowered first in early spring regardless of rain and then again in summer after the rain started.My one at home fruit at 3 and a bit years at 6 ft and now it is 7 ft and 4 years and has just a few fruit after flowering madly.It has been too dry for it even though they are pretty good at handling dry conditions.No one here know the real name of them in spite of me passing on your info.
I can't believe you have so much diversity in pots.Imagine if you went on holiday and they didn't get watered properly while you were away.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
I'll help you out with your imagination, for how I am about leaving my garden for holidays

if I leave during the summer for more than 2-3 days, things start to have irreversible damage.

I now have really bad anxiety when I leave town for more than one day, and also when fast winds or freezes come my way.

I'm a prisoner in my own garden of eaden, and I'm ok with that.

no one seems to be able to help me water...the cerrado plants during the winter are hard...no water allowed, but they're jn the greenhouse right near plants that must be watered.

I'm learning to cope!

thanks for noticing, I haven't gone away from the house for more than 3days, for the past 7yrs.

as a result, the plants are happy, and demand that I stick around...no matter what enjoyable vacation I might miss!

PS...did u say u fruited a Sabara in about 3yrs???

thanks!.
Great pix saff.I remember when a giant (20ft?) M.ss was dozed down about 16 years ago at a research station.I has feasted of 2 of them for a year beforehand and they were prolific but not like sabara.They flowered first in early spring regardless of rain and then again in summer after the rain started.My one at home fruit at 3 and a bit years at 6 ft and now it is 7 ft and 4 years and has just a few fruit after flowering madly.It has been too dry for it even though they are pretty good at handling dry conditions.No one here know the real name of them in spite of me passing on your info.
I can't believe you have so much diversity in pots.Imagine if you went on holiday and they didn't get watered properly while you were away.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:16:48 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
I just read my response and it sounds like creole so it must have been late at night.Saff sorry you are a prisoner and can't find an entghusiastic waterer who is trustworthy and thorough so you can frolic in peace away from your babes.
The grimal was planted when almost 12 inches high (1 year) and fruited at 3 years in the ground.My fastest sabara fruited at 3 years in the ground from an equally small planted tree.The other 2 dragged out to 3.5 years in the ground (4.5 years since they were seeds). They were however on fast development tracks and mollycoddled with the finest range of fertlizers,micronutrients and soil amendments until I got lazy.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Adam, your C. hirsuta looks alot like my C. phaea, except the phaea doesnt seem to get the reddish new growth. What is the difference between the two?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I'll help you out with your imagination, for how I am about leaving my garden for holidays

if I leave during the summer for more than 2-3 days, things start to have irreversible damage.

I now have really bad anxiety when I leave town for more than one day, and also when fast winds or freezes come my way.

I'm a prisoner in my own garden of eaden, and I'm ok with that.

no one seems to be able to help me water...the cerrado plants during the winter are hard...no water allowed, but they're jn the greenhouse right near plants that must be watered.

I'm learning to cope!

thanks for noticing, I haven't gone away from the house for more than 3days, for the past 7yrs.

as a result, the plants are happy, and demand that I stick around...no matter what enjoyable vacation I might miss!

PS...did u say u fruited a Sabara in about 3yrs???

thanks!.

Adam,

I feel for you, I made sure to collect a lot of drought tolerant fruiting plants (probably about 50-60% of my collection can handle drought stress for more then a week). You should really install some auto timed irrigation with internet alarms. Also you can use SWC with 5-10 gal reservoirs to help reduce the need to water often. I only worry when the temps spike above 90s and the santa ana winds and dryness kicks in. I actually have my mother watering the garden during the week (im lucky to have her be attentive and connected to the garden), I do watering and garden maintenance on the weekends (most of my collection is at my parents home).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk