Author Topic: First cherimoya sprout!  (Read 3831 times)

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
First cherimoya sprout!
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:45:27 PM »

First of hopefully many cherimoya sprouts.of unknown variety from the uc irvine tasting

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: First cherimoya sprout!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »
Congrats!  They grow pretty fast.   Good luck

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:29:12 AM »
Congrats Osito!
I've got about 16 cherimoya sprouts growing myself, one of which looks just like yours.
I hope RodneyS is right about them growing fast.
They have been slow for me because I keep them outdoors with no external heat added.  15 of them have rooted down, but the top has not separated from the seed yet.  I'm hoping this will happen soon as we warm up over the next month.
Warren

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:32:07 AM »
 I agree with Rodney, They grow fast for me too,  I've become comfortable with heavily pruning my cherimoya trees. 

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:53:21 AM »
Cool!!! I planted a bunch of seeds. This one was actually in my avocado pot. I forgot I put one in there. So I gave it it's own pot today. The root was crazy long so hopefully it will be fine with the moving about.

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 04:37:27 AM »
Congrats, How many moths did it take to sprout? I only have 1 seed sprouted  that there were 50+ put in potting mix back in January.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:13:42 AM »
Nice seedling Osito:D the hardest part is waiting for the seedcoat to come off, it seems to take forever!
Is Cherimoya generally the most vigorous annona? My seedlings(2month Old) grow significantly slower than same age rollinia but they seem quite susceptible to overwatering so maybe that accounts for slow growth? I'm very  new to annona so don't really know what is considered fast or slow :P
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
SoCal10b- I got these seed from the uc irvine tasting and this is my first sprout. A few more are coming but haven't popped all the way out yet

Stuartdaly88- omfg seed coat!! I have  are 3 seedlings that I can see the stem but won't pop out GAHHH!!

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 01:37:02 PM »
SoCal10b- I got these seed from the uc irvine tasting and this is my first sprout. A few more are coming but haven't popped all the way out yet

Stuartdaly88- omfg seed coat!! I have  are 3 seedlings that I can see the stem but won't pop out GAHHH!!

Don't worry, That is something I've noticed on just about every cherimoya i've sprouted, the seed sticks on it.. in fact  I've seen very few clear the seed. It won't affect the way the tree grows.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »
I've had one where the seed fell off and took half the sprout with it, not just the cotyledons. It started growing little hairs near the stump and eventually some of them became a new branch.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Osito. Here is my first cherimoya sprout, from the same batch of seeds I got from the South Coast Research Center Taste Testing on Jan 24. I planted them the next day. The cotyledon leaves are burnt because I "helped' to free them from the pod before they were ready. It took them forever to unfurl from the pod. I felt like Sally Fields in that JC Penney ad: "Open, open, open!"

[][/img]

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »
I've had one where the seed fell off and took half the sprout with it, not just the cotyledons. It started growing little hairs near the stump and eventually some of them became a new branch.

Fang,

I've done that before too, they're tough little buggers.    As for the second picture posted, that is rare to see! A cherimoya seedling with the cotyledon leaves!

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »
I just went out to check on my cherimoya seedlings, and I found one like Fyliu talked about earlier. The seedling is topless. The pod was buried too deep (~1') I think. I unearthed it with its leaves still stuck. I am glad Fyliu and CT talked about this case, otherwise I would have tossed the seedling out.

[][/img]

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
Nearly had a heart attack with one that I did that to with well meaning  overzealous "help" it comes back perfectly though:)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 06:50:11 PM »
nch, that's pretty standard for the cotyledons to stick to the seed coat and get ripped off. My special one had the little stem break in half. I don't remember if I "helped" it.