Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 621000 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #750 on: September 08, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »
Welcome Moh'd! That sure must be a challenge to grow tropicals in such a arid area! Are you growing your plants in ground or in pots? Where does your irrigation water come from?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 08, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »
Hello,

My name Moh'd and I'm from Dubai, UAE. I started this hobby when I was 12 years old . My first grow was a mango that was bought from a supermarket. Right know, I 'm growing over 20 different types of fruits from all over the world (most of them are not available here). I got Genip, Mammea Americana , 5 types of Garcinia , 6 types of Eugenia , Eggfruit , Jackfruit , mango , Malay Apple , Rose apple and More.

Mohd

Hello!

Just wondering, how do such plants fare in your arid climate?

Well, I live 8 km away from the sea so, it not that dry. The humidity level is between 40% to 80% most of the time and the temperature  ranges between 8C in winter and up to 45C in summer. I can grow Jackfruit , sapodilla, mango, Mullberry, Figs and lemon without any problem as long as the root system is well developed.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:23:49 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 08, 2013, 06:48:37 PM »
Welcome Moh'd! That sure must be a challenge to grow tropicals in such a arid area! Are you growing your plants in ground or in pots? Where does your irrigation water come from?

Hi

Some of them are in the ground like jackfruit  (5ft tall) , red Mullberry , red Pomegranate and lemon. The others are still small so, it's better to keep them in pots and away from the sunlight. I use groundwater for palm trees only because of the high salt content in the groundwater and they can handle it with out any trouble. City water, for most fruit trees.
Moh'd

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 08, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »
Hello,

My name Moh'd and I'm from Dubai, UAE. I started this hobby when I was 12 years old . My first grow was a mango that was bought from a supermarket. Right know, I 'm growing over 20 different types of fruits from all over the world (most of them are not available here). I got Genip, Mammea Americana , 5 types of Garcinia , 6 types of Eugenia , Eggfruit , Jackfruit , mango , Malay Apple , Rose apple and More.

Mohd

Hello!

Well, I live 8 km away from the sea so, it not that dry. The humidity level is between 40% to 80% most of the time and the temperature  ranges between 8C in winter and up to 45C in summer. I can grow Jackfruit , sapodilla, mango, Mullberry, Figs and lemon without any problem as long as the root system is well developed.

That's really awesome!! good luck in all your growing pursuits!!

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 09, 2013, 06:55:04 AM »
Hello,

Mohd

Hello!

That's really awesome!! good luck in all your growing pursuits!!

Thank you. I wish the best for you and your family.... Happy growing  ;)
Moh'd

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 09, 2013, 10:15:13 PM »
Old Alchemist from Canada who married someone from Brunei, nearly 30 years ago.  We currently live in California so are growing citrus, avocado and a couple of Paw Paw.  We have a small farm in AL.  I'm interested in PAW PAW as we need to take the tropical favors north.   
Welcome!  AL is the closest forum member location I've seen to my location in Middle Tennessee. ..we're only 30-45 mins from the Alabama line. I'm interested in pawpaws as well but so far I've not planted any. Good luck!

Hi Everyone,

The tropical fruit bug infection me. It got kindled when my son was showing some interest in gardening and dug up the old garden bed (that went unused for 12 years) and wanted to grow some peppers, strawberries, and tropical’s. Then to add fuel to the fire in July of 2012 we when to the AZFRG meeting in Phoenix, AZ and walked away with 3 loquat seedlings, a fig tree, banana plant, and sugar cane plant. This started a mad rush to collect as many tropical plants that could possibly grow and fruit in Phoenix, AZ. The collection as grown to many plants with most of them in containers for the sake of moving them around winters cold and summer heat. Currently in the process of sorting out what will survive planted in my yard without any protection from winters frost. Looking for info on best practice on growing Tropical fruit trees in container, soil mixes, fertilizer types application, container size, and plant types best for containers. Just about any info that will make container growing fruitful! I’ve spend many hours buying plants, planting seeds, and looking for info on the net also attended classes at the county extension office and club meetings for this information but still looking for more info to increase my success.

Bruce
Glad to have you, Bruce. Your story sounds a lot like mine. . .good luck!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:18:31 PM by Triloba Tracker »

gaberec

• Italy (west coast of Sicily) Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »
hello everybody,
I'm Gabriel and I'm italian
I want to create in my garden all tropical fruit

I hope that here is possible to find all information

thanks

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 10, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »
hello everybody,
I'm Gabriel and I'm italian
I want to create in my garden all tropical fruit

I hope that here is possible to find all information

thanks

Hello and welcome, and best of luck in your endeavor!

organicveggiemama

• miami, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 15, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »
Hi everyone! My name is Jessica and I just created my profile! I live in South florida. I created this profile because I am a fruit lover and I am on a mission to find fresh durian in south florida. I have never tried it and am very intrigued by this "king of fruit" If anyone knows where I can find some in my area let me know! Also check out my instagram Organicveggiemama :)

GROWITFROMSEED

• Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo, Zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Grow It From Seed
« Reply #759 on: September 21, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »
Hey all. My name is Alex. I am an American and I live in the Dominican Republic. I joined this forum today as I am getting back into gardening and growing. I would like to try some truly exotic varieties. Hope to make a lot of cool acquaintances here, learn a lot, and teach a lot of what I know.

Mucho gusta a todos!
Follow all my tropical fruit and gardening adventures at www.GrowItFromSeed.com

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 23, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »
Welcome, Alex. Looking forward to hearing about your progress as you get back into growing.

pineapplebob

• New Orleans, LA
    • View Profile
New Member Intro
« Reply #761 on: September 23, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »
Hey I'm Pineapple Bob, a pineapple and blood orange grower from north Georgia. I am now in New Orleans (much easier to grow tropical things when your weather is tropical). Anyways I figured I would share some pics of my fruit with you, maybe one of you might know what type of pineapple I have! (it is very sweet and smells amazing)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #762 on: September 23, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »
Hey I'm Pineapple Bob, a pineapple and blood orange grower from north Georgia. I am now in New Orleans (much easier to grow tropical things when your weather is tropical). Anyways I figured I would share some pics of my fruit with you, maybe one of you might know what type of pineapple I have! (it is very sweet and smells amazing)

Welcome Bob.  The pineapple sure is gnarly.  Where did you get the plant?  Leaves are very thorny. 
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

pineapplebob

• New Orleans, LA
    • View Profile
Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #763 on: September 26, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
Welcome Bob.  The pineapple sure is gnarly.  Where did you get the plant?  Leaves are very thorny.
[/quote]

I'll be honest it was so long ago I don't remember what it looked like but I planted it from the top of an old pineapple. I just cut it up and am now trying to root down the top. The last few rooting attempts on grocery store pineapples failed because they rotted but I'm hopeful for this one (I'm using spring water and changing it out every day this time).

There is a shoot coming out of the mother plant, I think I'm going to leave it alone and see how it does.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 26, 2013, 12:45:55 PM »
Welcome Bob. I've never seen anything like the pineapple in your picture.
I have grown some pineapples from crowns and just root them in place with potting soil. I never had any luck with rooting them in water.
Richard

catamijo

• USA - Port St Lucie, Florida - Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: September 30, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
New to any type forums and this one came highly recommended, no turning back now.  Met Murahilin and Patrick on Saturday to pick up some of the free pomerac seedlings to share with family and fellow Treasure Coast Rare Fruit Club members.  Was very impressed by Patrick's garden and Murahilin's knowlege.  I felt right at home in Patrick's garden - fruit tress in his front lawn, sides and back. PARADISE!

My reality has been working with the mental health population, and in 2010 realized that I had my own mental health issues.  I could not wait until retirement to create the exotic fruit garden I dreamed about daily, so the OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) personality took over.  Quit my job, cleared out the grass from my lawn, went to excalibur, and today blissfully enjoying the fruits of my labor; 20 years before my retirement. Somehow I keep finding room in my already polulated yard to add just one more tree.   Peppers were my 2013 obsession, 2014 will be tomatoes, and the OCD continues!  For the last 3 years I enjoyed being in heaven; no time clocks, no traffic jams, no deadlines, no "normal" people to deal with; it was just me, my garden (100 plus fruit trees) and fellow fruit tree fanatics (no offense).

Gardening lowers my blood pressure, relieves  my  anxiety, feeds my OCD, and allows me to escape the rat race of life.  Social Activism is my reality.  I founded an international Human Rights Organization working with families permanently separated by US deportation policies. When immigrant parents are deported, many of their American children are either lost in the US child welfare system and / or thier parental rights are taken away and we have a mess. I am also very active in my community, currently working with one of the local schools to develop a sustainable school garden, assiting a local AIDs organization with a fundraising project, and working with the FAU (Florida Atlantic University) Collegiate chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals as a program developer,  while working on my Masters.

I purchased 15 acres of land in Trinidad just in case I run out of planting space on the one lot lot I live on in Port St Lucie FL.  I know  my mental issues are deep especially when I was able to convince my Therapist and my Psychiatrist to join me (lol). 

My  current mission is figuring out how to marry my passion (fruit tree gardening) with my reality (human rights activist).  Ideas welcomed.

Marlene
Need bees, plant flowers

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 30, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »
New to any type forums and this one came highly recommended, no turning back now.  Met Murahilin and Patrick on Saturday to pick up some of the free pomerac seedlings to share with family and fellow Treasure Coast Rare Fruit Club members.  Was very impressed by Patrick's garden and Murahilin's knowlege.  I felt right at home in Patrick's garden - fruit tress in his front lawn, sides and back. PARADISE!

My reality has been working with the mental health population, and in 2010 realized that I had my own mental health issues.  I could not wait until retirement to create the exotic fruit garden I dreamed about daily, so the OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) personality took over.  Quit my job, cleared out the grass from my lawn, went to excalibur, and today blissfully enjoying the fruits of my labor; 20 years before my retirement. Somehow I keep finding room in my already polulated yard to add just one more tree.   Peppers were my 2013 obsession, 2014 will be tomatoes, and the OCD continues!  For the last 3 years I enjoyed being in heaven; no time clocks, no traffic jams, no deadlines, no "normal" people to deal with; it was just me, my garden (100 plus fruit trees) and fellow fruit tree fanatics (no offense).

Gardening lowers my blood pressure, relieves  my  anxiety, feeds my OCD, and allows me to escape the rat race of life.  Social Activism is my reality.  I founded an international Human Rights Organization working with families permanently separated by US deportation policies. When immigrant parents are deported, many of their American children are either lost in the US child welfare system and / or thier parental rights are taken away and we have a mess. I am also very active in my community, currently working with one of the local schools to develop a sustainable school garden, assiting a local AIDs organization with a fundraising project, and working with the FAU (Florida Atlantic University) Collegiate chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals as a program developer,  while working on my Masters.

I purchased 15 acres of land in Trinidad just in case I run out of planting space on the one lot lot I live on in Port St Lucie FL.  I know  my mental issues are deep especially when I was able to convince my Therapist and my Psychiatrist to join me (lol). 

My  current mission is figuring out how to marry my passion (fruit tree gardening) with my reality (human rights activist).  Ideas welcomed.

Marlene
Welcome, check out echonet.org...it's involved with helping people in third world countries become self sustainable

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 30, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »

Marlene

Welcome!!

don't worry, there are plenty of ways to combine your two passions, lots of people in third world countries need food!

catamijo

• USA - Port St Lucie, Florida - Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 30, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »
Did not think about ECHO model, thanks for the recommendations. 
Need bees, plant flowers

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 07, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »
Hello everyone,

A delayed self introduction.

My name is Rock from Taiwan. I'm interested in tropical and subtropical fruits. Collecting new fruits is my hobby and job. if you have special ones, please let me know.
Rock

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 07, 2013, 10:43:36 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Rock from Taiwan. I'm interested in tropical and subtropical fruits. Collecting new fruits is my hobby and job. if you have special ones, please let me know.
Welcome!!  What part of Taiwan are you in, and what is your job?  Pretty cool to have a fruit-related job. ...

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 07, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »
I live in central Taiwan. Planting fruits (pineapple, papaya, tomato etc.) and selling them is one of my job, owning a nursery is the other job.In other words, I'm a farmer and nursryman.

Hello everyone,

Welcome!!  What part of Taiwan are you in, and what is your job?  Pretty cool to have a fruit-related job. ...
Rock

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 07, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
I live in central Taiwan. Planting fruits (pineapple, papaya, tomato etc.) and selling them is one of my job, owning a nursery is the other job.In other words, I'm a farmer and nursryman.

Hello everyone,

Excellent!  My wife's family lived in Taipei for 11 years back in the 80's and 90's. We are trying to save up to visit.
Do you grow any exotic fruit? 

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 07, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »

Hello everyone,

Excellent!  My wife's family lived in Taipei for 11 years back in the 80's and 90's. We are trying to save up to visit.
I plant a lot of exotic fruits, but only some fruits start to fruit including jaboticaba, white sapote,  star apple, abiu, soursop, black sopote, imbe, cherry mangosteen, white logan, waxberry, Chempedad
Rock

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 07, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »

Hello everyone,

I plant a lot of exotic fruits, but only some fruits start to fruit including jaboticaba, white sapote,  star apple, abiu, soursop, black sopote, imbe, cherry mangosteen, white logan, waxberry, Chempedad
Hello and welcome!! the cherry mangosteen seems interesting, what is it?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 04:39:23 PM by murahilin »