Author Topic: Yucatan Sugar Apple (variety)  (Read 15444 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Yucatan Sugar Apple (variety)
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »
I think I have figured out the mystery of the Yucatan sugar apple.

after finally seeing some flowers from my grafted "giant mexican" sugar apples...

I'm convinced that these two varieties are one and the same.

this is because the flowers have a very unique appearance, being long and slender.

Also, the yucatan I have rarely sets fruits even with hand pollination, which fits the description of the giant mexican, based upon reports from growers that it is not an extremely productive tree.

also, my tree labeled as Yucatan, has set one fruit, and it has grown almost 3 times as faster and larger than any other sugar apple or atemoya in my collection.

so I will be sure to keep the group posted...and i will try to take some pics to compare the two trees.

Thank You Detective Adam for your outstanding sleuth on bringing this Mayan Mystery to light.  It will save me time From my Dive trip in Cozumel chasing an Annona squamosa ghost this July.  Its low productivity, its no wonder I have not added to my ever expanding A. squamosa zoo.  Perhaps when you have the fruit, I am interest in purchasing the seeds for my breeding curiosity; sorry I am not interest in the parent budwood only the seeds from the parent when you have it available Adam.  Please keep us update on your progressive; we appreciate all your hard works of discovery as always!   ;D

Here is a saramoyo yucateco in the middle of the Yucatan jungle. The Mayan climb his tree to get some of the local favorites. Saramoyo season is just beginning. I wasn't impress with any one I had but then again I'm not a fan of squamosa.

Thank JF for the Jungle pictures. Look like well define fruits with its native pollinator, a productive tree in the wild with large uniform fruits; now that a rarity!  Very healthy genetic treasure trove here for breeding work.  Do you have access to the seeds from this tree in the middle of the jungle or do you have a coordinate so I have to rappel out of a Chinook and night stalkers a few fruit?  ;D  8)

Yes I have access and I might be back in the next few weeks on business. Here he is harvesting jungle mangos for me.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
I think I have figured out the mystery of the Yucatan sugar apple.

after finally seeing some flowers from my grafted "giant mexican" sugar apples...

I'm convinced that these two varieties are one and the same.

this is because the flowers have a very unique appearance, being long and slender.

Also, the yucatan I have rarely sets fruits even with hand pollination, which fits the description of the giant mexican, based upon reports from growers that it is not an extremely productive tree.

also, my tree labeled as Yucatan, has set one fruit, and it has grown almost 3 times as faster and larger than any other sugar apple or atemoya in my collection.

so I will be sure to keep the group posted...and i will try to take some pics to compare the two trees.

Thank You Detective Adam for your outstanding sleuth on bringing this Mayan Mystery to light.  It will save me time From my Dive trip in Cozumel chasing an Annona squamosa ghost this July.  Its low productivity, its no wonder I have not added to my ever expanding A. squamosa zoo.  Perhaps when you have the fruit, I am interest in purchasing the seeds for my breeding curiosity; sorry I am not interest in the parent budwood only the seeds from the parent when you have it available Adam.  Please keep us update on your progressive; we appreciate all your hard works of discovery as always!   ;D

Here is a saramoyo yucateco in the middle of the Yucatan jungle. The Mayan climb his tree to get some of the local favorites. Saramoyo season is just beginning. I wasn't impress with any one I had but then again I'm not a fan of squamosa.

Thank JF for the Jungle pictures. Look like well define fruits with its native pollinator, a productive tree in the wild with large uniform fruits; now that a rarity!  Very healthy genetic treasure trove here for breeding work.  Do you have access to the seeds from this tree in the middle of the jungle or do you have a coordinate so I have to rappel out of a Chinook and night stalkers a few fruit?  ;D  8)

Yes I have access and I might be back in the next few weeks on business. Here he is harvesting jungle mangos for me.

Amazing JF, Thank You in advance, please do get us this Mayan Yucatan Squamosa during your trip.  Wild Mango interesting!  8)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »
here are pictures of both plants...

compare the flowers...they look the same...

as does the foliage.

(I'm hoping the one I have labeled as yucatan is a bit different than the giant mex...I think there is a good chance they are noticeably different...even though they may be from the same bloodlines)
Yucatan

giant mex
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 04:45:02 PM »
now I'm starting to think the Yucatan is a bit different than giant mex....(although the flowers do look very similar)

the fruit seems like its going to be sizable...but has much less rugged skin than giant mex.

can't wait to see what the inside looks like..I'm wondering if it will have they layer of creamy pulp near skin.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
Besides M-1 and M-2, I have seen others in markets in Yucatan.
Har

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 07:43:52 PM »
i decided to harvest the yucatan today....maybe slightly early, but I don't want to risk the fruit splitting or being damaged...I think it was just mature enough.

I'll be curious to see how this compares to the giant mex...they look so similar (based on their unusual flowers), but the fruit of the Yucatan is much different looking...almost reminds me of an atemoya or biriba, how angular the sections are.

this tree was veneer grafted onto an atemoya about 2 yr ago...still in a 7 gal pot....only set one fruit!  Very shy producer!  Just like Giant mex

the fruit is decent sized, i think they'd be considerably larger if the tree was not rootbound.

a small big red, and the yucatan

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Wow Adam, that's a beauty. You've definitely babied that one.

I'm expecting details reveiw of texture and taste with pictures.
- David Antonio Garcia

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 09:19:13 PM »
Adam, that Yucatan is probably an Atemoya or SA x SomethingElse. The skin sections overlapping onto the bottom ones are often a sign of hybridization with non A. Squamosa. But I'm only conjecturing.
Thera

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 03:31:58 PM »
I disagree, this looks pretty standard pure squamosa bloodline to me
- David Antonio Garcia

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 04:50:24 PM »
David, and Thera

thanks for contributing to the discussion.

I'm thinking it's pure squamosa, based on the foliage and flowers...

talked to my source for this budwood...and he said that the fruits are supposed to get quite large (which I believe for sure, based on the size of this fruit)

I will be sure to let a few people taste the fruit, and will document the interior of the fruit, and the seed count.

I really think this is just a variety for collectors or breeders...not something I would recommend for commercial production of fruit.

still about 2-3 days away from being ripe.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 05:31:06 AM »
They look kinda standard to me.My 'giant' sugar apple which I might dub small eyes produced a fruit that ripened today and the scales saw the needle scream past 2lbs and deep into 1kg+ territory.It might sound lame cpmpared to the monstrous big eyes but it is a landmark for my highly appreciated sugar apple tree. Photos will come soon.My red chewy seeds are popping up as well.I have some big eye news also and will post in that thread.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 07:14:51 PM »

Just an ordinary sugar apple tree that has big fruit and here is a 1100g fruit

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »
The skin and color resemble to that of Adam's Giant Mex. The form though is more round.
Thera

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2014, 07:58:02 PM »
They look kinda standard to me.My 'giant' sugar apple which I might dub small eyes produced a fruit that ripened today and the scales saw the needle scream past 2lbs and deep into 1kg+ territory.It might sound lame cpmpared to the monstrous big eyes but it is a landmark for my highly appreciated sugar apple tree. Photos will come soon.My red chewy seeds are popping up as well.I have some big eye news also and will post in that thread.

mike,

although it may look standard, remember this is the first fruit that my tree has produced (and only fruit), and the tree is in a 7 gal pot..suffering from drought and rootbound conditions.

the size of the fruit is quite large considering these factors.

also take a look at the peculiar flowers...anything but ordinary.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »

Saff this tree also had big fruit at the start but 1kg is the past biggest

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »

Saff this tree also had big fruit at the start but 1kg is the past biggest
well...in a fist fight...i still think the yucatan could possibly win against your sugar apple  :P

(I haven't even tasted this one yet, and just for that comment, its going to have 200 seed and taste like colegate advance whitening. )  ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
This one is soft and sweet with plenty of seeds and they don't need to duke it out when they can be friends.No colgate going on.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:36 AM »
It was eaten (64 seeds)and tasting how delicious this one was with a pineapple infusion it is all coming back to me what its story is. I remember now where it came from 8 years ago.A friend and I with others helping tried hundreds around the region scoring the out of 10.The best no grit and high flesh yield one was from Mareeba and it was the only 10/10 for taste.It was a local selection of unknown origin but a seedling line.
Seeds were planted and distributed and my one was planted.I can't remember the original fruits being as large as that of the offspring.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »
the yucatan sugar apple finally ripened...i picked it about 10 days ago.

the fruit was a bit different than the common fruits I've had.  I had a slight granular texture, even in the arils, it was not offensive, somewhat interesting.  The flavor definitely had some tartness, which I enjoyed, and the skin was quite thick.

I'm going to step this one up, and hope it makes some really large fruits in the future..i think it has potential for breeding.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk