Author Topic: Lemon Tree  (Read 1683 times)

diannemc1957

• Amory
    • View Profile
Lemon Tree
« on: January 15, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
I am new on here and hope I am posting this on the right place...I live in Mississippi and we have been having some really freezing temps the last couple of weeks.. I moved my lemon drop lemon tree under the garage along with other plants.. My lemon is almost all brown. It got down to 12 on a few nights outside.. Not sure what it was in garage but it was cold...  Do you think I have lost it? Is there anything I can do and need to do? or should I just leave it alone till spring and hope for the best?   Thank for your help..

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »
Lemons don't like to freeze at all, especially if in a pot. I'd say keep it from freezing anymore and make sure it doesn't dry out in garage or house. Leaves are brown and dead, but if trunk and branches not frozen too bad, it may leaf out again in spring. You can scratch trunk a little with fingernail to see if green and alive underneath bark. If trunk bark split open after freeze, tree is probably doomed.

diannemc1957

• Amory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:09:07 PM »
Thank you. I hope it has not froze..I out it under garage last year and it did fine but it didn't as cold....

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »
There is not anything you can do now.  You must wait until spring to ascertain what damage has been done.   Good things often come to those who wait.

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 04:00:17 PM »
Wait well into the spring or summer before giving up on it, I had freeze damage to a large limb on one of my in ground Satsumas a couple of years ago and that limb looked dead until August when it finally started sprouting new growth on about half its length, I am glad I waited to prune it back.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:48:33 PM »
For a quick way to throw some protection on the stem above the graft line, i make at least a foot diameter circle around the trunk with cardboard and fill it with dirt as high as i can.  I then pack it so there is not a gap when the tree sways in the wind between the trunk and dirt.  It looks this far as most of my trees have pulled through with multiple nights around 20, one down to 16, and one to 17.  There is some damage but it does not appear to have killed any above the dirt.  A lemonquat looks to have taken significant damage.