Author Topic: Black Thorn durian. Currently the most hyped durian in Malaysia.  (Read 26897 times)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Untill I tried this durian never understood people's obsession with bitter durians, as I could hardly notice bitter flavor it in any premium varieties. However this durian changed everything!
I managed to get custom deal from the vendor, and got one premium variety and only half of Black Thorn durian. Complex flavor and strong bitter trailing taste lingers in the mouth for a good amount of time after each bite.  It really cannot be compared to any other durian. Actually I ate another premium cultivar D24 after this, but creamy and sweet was just so ordinary! I'm now totally hooked on Black Thorn's complex flavor. If I had to choose Musang King (D197) or Black Thorn, I would not know what to pick. They are both totally different with their own unique flavors and complexity.
If you are ever in Kuala Lumpur it is a must try!

ps. Hopefully in couple years grafted plants will start to appear in nurseries.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:22:59 PM by DurianLover »

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Re: Black Thorn durian. Currently the most expensive durian in the world.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »
Wow, so expensive.  Sounds delicious, though.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »
In Thailand they pay 2-300 us$ for a durian from Nothaburi. This one is a cheapo then.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
RM25 is about $8. That's not expensive at all. Is it actually a different price? If its not, change the subject of your post.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »
bangkok      are you saying that in thailaind they pay two hundred to three hundred dollars for one fruit from Nothabori.  How big are the fruit
Mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
Laplae and chantaburi 1 are really expensive in thailand and gumpun as well as luang can be.D24 is considered poor quality outside Malaysia's borders and people outside wonder why it is loved in Malaysia.DL do you know the black thorn's real name or letter ID.

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »
At Kuala Terengganu the trucks from Johor laden with durians arrived late afternoon for ebening sales when the durian kawkers set up in front of the main market.

Musang king was most expensive at 30R / kg. D24 think 15 R / kg and kampong 5-8R
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
bangkok      are you saying that in thailaind they pay two hundred to three hundred dollars for one fruit from Nothabori.  How big are the fruit

Yes 2-300$ a fruit. They pay half the price to make a reservation  for a fruit and the other half on delivery.

I think they are normal size (have no idea actually) it has to do with status of buying the best fruit availlable and then money plays no roll.

Compare it with japanese paying 10-50k us$ for a bluefin tuna. I guess also in Japan people pay extraordinary prices for fruits that are rare and high on the status ladder. Japanese also pay like 3-400 us$ for a kilo of the best beef (Wagyu or Kobe beef) which is also for sale in Bangkok.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:23:05 PM by bangkok »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »
There are direct flights between Japan and even China and my hometown.They receive reef fish and some fruits from here and pay crazy prices in Tokyo.DL did you compare D197 and D175 (red prawn)?
I wonder what chantaburi 1 would fetch and of the other durios what genuine D.macrantha would be worth?
It seems lin and long laplaes are in the greatest demand right now but this will probably change when they get planted everywhere to cash in.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »
RM25 is about $8. That's not expensive at all. Is it actually a different price? If its not, change the subject of your post.

It is more expensive than Musang King, so yes it most expensive durian. Off season fruit, or when this or any premium durians reach Singapore prices are higher. That does not really count.
In packaging you see only half durian. Black thorn durian on average is 2 kg, so 50 RM per fruit. That is 17 USD.
Considering average Malaysian earning power about 3 times less than in USA, can you imagine spending $50 on one fruit in USA? For average Malaysian it is very expensive. You can have nice lunch from street hawker for 5 RM.

As far as Nonthaburi durian, it is common Kan Yao (long stalk) durian. You can grafted plants in many markets. In Malaysia this durian still has inferior status. News about $300 durian picked up from original article and than spread like wild fire over the the internet by journalist looking to sensationalize. Probably somebody paid $300 for a durian, I don't know, but I'm yet to find documented proof with any growers, sellers, buyers that these kind of transactions taking place every year. Until further evidence I'm going to put $300 durian in internet gossip category for now.
Also just about every durian orchid in Nonthaburi was destroyed by the floods 2 years ago, so very likely those trees do not even exit anymore.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »
Laplae and chantaburi 1 are really expensive in thailand and gumpun as well as luang can be.D24 is considered poor quality outside Malaysia's borders and people outside wonder why it is loved in Malaysia.DL do you know the black thorn's real name or letter ID.

It is brand new variety, probably not even letter ID assigned. Can't find any info. Look for it to become very popular years down the road. I'm not the only one raving about wow factor of this durian:
http://makansodap.blogspot.com/2012/01/so-many-durian.html

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 01:40:54 AM »

It is more expensive than Musang King, so yes it most expensive durian. Off season fruit, or when this or any premium durians reach Singapore prices are higher. That does not really count.
In packaging you see only half durian. Black thorn durian on average is 2 kg, so 50 RM per fruit. That is 17 USD.
Considering average Malaysian earning power about 3 times less than in USA, can you imagine spending $50 on one fruit in USA? For average Malaysian it is very expensive. You can have nice lunch from street hawker for 5 RM.

As far as Nonthaburi durian, it is common Kan Yao (long stalk) durian. You can grafted plants in many markets. In Malaysia this durian still has inferior status. News about $300 durian picked up from original article and than spread like wild fire over the the internet by journalist looking to sensationalize. Probably somebody paid $300 for a durian, I don't know, but I'm yet to find documented proof with any growers, sellers, buyers that these kind of transactions taking place every year. Until further evidence I'm going to put $300 durian in internet gossip category for now.
Also just about every durian orchid in Nonthaburi was destroyed by the floods 2 years ago, so very likely those trees do not even exit anymore.

Murahilin, Durian lover gave a good answer. $8 in USA is not the same as $8 in Malaysia. You need to consider how long a person in each of these countries needs to work to earn $8. In USA a worker might have $8 in 1/2 hour of work. In Malaysia it could take them all day or longer to make that much money. So spending a whole day's wages or more is whole lot of money for one fruit.
Also it's not fair for same reason to compare what people pay in US dollars in Japan with what people will pay in Malaysia in US dollars. Again Japanese workers make tremendously more money than Malaysian workers.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »
When last in Thailand, just trying to obtain the Kan Yao from this district was near impossible.  And only from this district are they this expensive.  Good marketing on their part for sure.  Even if only half that price, that is still expensive no matter what part of the world you are from!

My mother-in-law came across another durian variety in the market a while back...will have to look up the name.  It was explained to her as being on old world favorite which fell out of grace when the newer cultivars popped up.  It has since made a comeback from a farm we visited.  Very very expensive and they actually mail order the fruit.  More good marketing!  Every fruit is claimed well in advance with quite a waiting list.  They were boxing up the very last fruit of the season when we arrived.  This same farm had the 300 year old mangosteen trees and 150+ year old rambutans.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »
The 2-300 Durian is not a one-time deal, they book the fruits allready when they are very small and still on the tree. This happens every year and now after the flooding the price is maybe even higher, i don't know.

It is a hype among rich people to tell the neighbours that they booked a fruit, Thai  people like to show their money. Maybe they live in a crappy house but buy those fruits. I see many who have the newest iphone and had to  pay 2 month salary's for that, that is quite normal here. Everything for the show.

But if you don't believe it that's  fine.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
The 2-300 Durian is not a one-time deal, they book the fruits allready when they are very small and still on the tree. This happens every year and now after the flooding the price is maybe even higher, i don't know.

It is a hype among rich people to tell the neighbours that they booked a fruit, Thai  people like to show their money. Maybe they live in a crappy house but buy those fruits. I see many who have the newest iphone and had to  pay 2 month salary's for that, that is quite normal here. Everything for the show.

But if you don't believe it that's  fine.

Ok, maybe it does happen every year.  I removed "the most expensive in the world" :)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:37:04 AM by DurianLover »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 10:22:49 PM »
Murahilin, Durian lover gave a good answer. $8 in USA is not the same as $8 in Malaysia. You need to consider how long a person in each of these countries needs to work to earn $8. In USA a worker might have $8 in 1/2 hour of work. In Malaysia it could take them all day or longer to make that much money. So spending a whole day's wages or more is whole lot of money for one fruit.
Also it's not fair for same reason to compare what people pay in US dollars in Japan with what people will pay in Malaysia in US dollars. Again Japanese workers make tremendously more money than Malaysian workers.
I fully understood his reasoning but it did not justify the title of being the most expensive. Think of it like his, a Bugatti is a multi million dollar car but to a billionaire it isn't that large of a percentage of his income but it will still be one of the most expensive if not the most expensive car in the world. Compared to a thousand dollar Tata car in India which is a much larger percentage of some person making $1 a day who may never be able to afford that thousand dollar car, it still does not make the Tata car the most expensive car in the world.  Most expensive in Malaysia, or most hyped as he changed the title to, would be a much better title.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 10:44:45 PM »
I fully understood his reasoning but it did not justify the title of being the most expensive. Think of it like his, a Bugatti is a multi million dollar car but to a billionaire it isn't that large of a percentage of his income but it will still be one of the most expensive if not the most expensive car in the world. Compared to a thousand dollar Tata car in India which is a much larger percentage of some person making $1 a day who may never be able to afford that thousand dollar car, it still does not make the Tata car the most expensive car in the world.  Most expensive in Malaysia, or most hyped as he changed the title to, would be a much better title.

I was only commenting on the first part of your reply:

"RM25 is about $8. That's not expensive at all."
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Black Thorn durian. Currently the most hyped durian in Malaysia.
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »
Oh, I didn't mean that it wasn't expensive to them. I was fully aware of their income differences and how $8 has a different purchasing power there, I was referring to his claim of it being the most expensive in the world because I have seen and heard of durian that are more expensive that $8 for half a fruit. I probably should have explained myself better. Sorry.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 01:48:14 PM »
As I remember this is a picture of Kan Yao durian. The durian are sold in a big market in Bangkok and the price is 250-300THB per kilo (about 7,5€/Kg).

Mike

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 08:04:08 PM »
On the Kasetsart agriculture fair i saw some shops who only sell durian tree's. They had many species and i saw a poster of a red durian hanging there. So the red one will come to Thailand as well i guess.

Too bad that those sellers don't speak english and only write labels in thai alphabet so i cannot tell you which species were for sale.

Also for the mango-tree's they sell loads of red species now so in a few years we will see them on the markets.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »
As I remember this is a picture of Kan Yao durian. The durian are sold in a big market in Bangkok and the price is 250-300THB per kilo (about 7,5€/Kg).

So? How was it? How does it compare to D24 you had? At 7,5€/Kg is expensive even for Westener, since those durians look like 3 kg or so..
Still few dollars cheaper per kilo than Musang King in Singapore.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 08:14:45 AM »

So? How was it? How does it compare to D24 you had? At 7,5€/Kg is expensive even for Westener, since those durians look like 3 kg or so..
Still few dollars cheaper per kilo than Musang King in Singapore.
I didn't taste it :( Instead of Kan Yao I had more Monthong durians ;)  They are cheaper at 2-2,5€/Kg on the street and they taste superb.
Mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 08:25:52 AM »
bangkok don't believe everything you hear and only half of what you see with durians.Some people call D164 red durian.
Montong and Kan yeow are not that different really and both can be superb.It is hard to compare them to the good Malaysian types but they probably appeal to more people being milder and more fleshy.I have had really expensive durians in a few places that have been poor quality.Price won't always tell you which durians will taste best to you.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
I would have spend that money, otherwise at least in my case I would regret for not trying new cultivar. In Borneo I tried D123 (chanee) for the first time. I knew that there is no way I'm going to eat 4 kg monster, but I spend $8 anyway. First bites fantastic, but quickly it becomes just ok. I guess if you like plain fat vanilla custard this durian is for you. I was missing Malaysian bitter/sweet instead of just Thai sweet. It is a matter of personal taste. However Thai durians are better value for poorer people. The durian I had would feed family of four, as flesh was thicker than Monthong.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »
bangkok don't believe everything you hear and only half of what you see with durians.Some people call D164 red durian.
Montong and Kan yeow are not that different really and both can be superb.It is hard to compare them to the good Malaysian types but they probably appeal to more people being milder and more fleshy.I have had really expensive durians in a few places that have been poor quality.Price won't always tell you which durians will taste best to you.

I disagree with you Mike. Kan Yao tastes very different from Monthong. And i think most Thais would agree with me, or they wouldn't be willing to pay the premium prices that Kan Yao always fetches. Hard to describe the difference, but to me the Monthong has a more fruity taste and the Kan Yao tastes more vegetable like, a bit more carrot like. Also the Kan Yao is a stronger tasting fruit. I didn't have any good Kan Yaos on this trip but have had superb ones during prime season: May-July.
Oscar