Author Topic: Where can I buy grafted jackfruit cultivars?  (Read 1717 times)

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
Where can I buy grafted jackfruit cultivars?
« on: March 01, 2020, 04:30:52 PM »
Where can I buy either amber, berry, or excalibur red jackfruit? I live over 2 hours away from excalibur and they don't ship. Does anyone have them that will ship or local to Orlando? Thanks!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I buy grafted jackfruit cultivars?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 04:55:58 PM »
Where can I buy either amber, berry, or excalibur red jackfruit? I live over 2 hours away from excalibur and they don't ship. Does anyone have them that will ship or local to Orlando? Thanks!

There are no grafted Amber or Berry available anywhere in the US to my knowledge. If anyone is selling a grafted one, it a graft of a seedling Amber or Berry.

The Timor is better than Excalibur Red, in both color and flavor. You might have to just take the trip to Excalibur. It’s definitely worth it. It probably has the largest variety of tropical fruit trees available in FL.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 05:32:32 PM »
I’ll be trying my hand this year at grafting both TM red and Excalibur red, live in palm city fl which is closer than Excalibur if you can wait till end of summer hit me up then, if not I purchased both from Excalibur. Stoked to hear that taste report murahilin, I’ve had the Excalibur red before and it was like candy so really stoked to try the TM red someday.

-Joe

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 06:54:33 PM »
I bought an ex red in October when I was driving to ft Lauderdale.  It never really did well. Started slowly dropping leaves until two weeks ago when the last one fell off. Now all the branches are dried up. Pretty sure it's dead. I don't know if it's because it was too small(like 3 gal pot or smaller) or because they don't transplant well. Don't want to waste more money on one from them if I could avoid it. I wonder if they sell bigger plants....
Never heard of the Timor.  Any info on that one is appreciated.  Thanks

eduardo_98

• USA, Florida, Tampa, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 01:59:52 AM »
I’ve seen Tony Morris Red, tommy Morris red, and TM Red. I’m guessing these are all used interchangeably? Also, I’ve been hearing about berry jackfruit a lot lately, how does that variety compare to other superior varieties?

eduardo_98

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 10:37:18 PM »
I’ve seen Tony Morris Red, tommy Morris red, and TM Red. I’m guessing these are all used interchangeably? Also, I’ve been hearing about berry jackfruit a lot lately, how does that variety compare to other superior varieties?
Still curious about this, anyone know?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 11:11:59 PM »
Grafted is always better than seedlings for certainty. My friend planted 2 amber seedlings and one was just like the parent the other was quite average in quality. I planted a J33 seedling and it turned out exactly how it should but previously I had planted a seedling of a premier type that turned out poor also. I am currently on the trail of Vietnamese type getting rave reviews and some chempa x jacks allegedly of excellent quality. Timor red is a good type alright and well worth planting.

eduardo_98

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 01:44:09 AM »
Thanks Mike, you are a wealth of knowledge. Currently I have a grafted Excalibur Red which I was finally able to find without having to drive down south, but also wanted to learn about other good red varieties. I know about most of them, but there are few I can find little information about. I have a chempa x jack as well but still no fruit so I can’t judge the quality. Also what’s this new Vietnamese variety? Is it a red variety?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 04:13:33 AM »
Not all reds are better than yellows it depends of the variety with flesh yield and thickness, latex amount, taste etc. I don't know the ones that got their names in Florida so can't comment on how they compare. Lots of varieties of all fruits seem to get new names in Florida and it can be confusing.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 06:37:21 AM »
No news here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:48:55 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 11:31:40 AM »
Not many varieties of grafted jackfruit available in Hawaii, the most common ones are black gold and Zieman pink from plant it nursery. Frankie’s nursery has good grafted varieties of jackfruit but arguably his best is ‘Ng red’ which is a Malaysian orange fleshed jack that far out produces other varieties he has. he won’t sell this grafted plant to anyone. I think some farmers , if they hunted the plant material themselves are going to hoard the best genetics they have. As frank also does with his white pineapple.  it’s nice to read about the diversity of jacks being grown and sold in FL

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 04:30:40 PM »
Still curious about this, anyone know?
I've actually drove to Excalibur on March 22nd, and bought a TM Red(Tony Morris Red). Here are 2 pictures of when I bought it back then, and 2 pictures today. It is a fast grower!!!