Author Topic: Best anona for Central Valley, ca?  (Read 1139 times)

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
Best anona for Central Valley, ca?
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:07:13 AM »
Atemoya seems to be the most appropriate to handle the 110 highs and 28 lows. Any suggestions or trials that you guys can share? Thanks! Zone 9b

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Best anona for Central Valley, ca?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 04:45:14 PM »
Atemoya is more hardy for sure, takes both 100F+ and low 30F with no damage. Cherimoyas will thrive best with some shading in the intense summer heat, mine show burned leaves every summer (I just haven't had time to put up a shade cloth, promised myself to do that next summer, Lol).  Atemoyas will produce more also. I'm in Bakersfield.

Trung

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 09:40:56 PM »
Atemoya is more hardy for sure, takes both 100F+ and low 30F with no damage. Cherimoyas will thrive best with some shading in the intense summer heat, mine show burned leaves every summer (I just haven't had time to put up a shade cloth, promised myself to do that next summer, Lol).  Atemoyas will produce more also. I'm in Bakersfield.

Trung

Awesome, good to know. Any favored varieties? Where do you get your tropicals here in the valley?

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 01:38:02 AM »
I wish there was a tropical nursery nearby. Aside from the typical guavas, citrus, and figs at Home Depot/Lowe's, I got my stuff from swap meet in Orange County, and forum members who from time to time post their plants for sale, online vendors, and a local member. Look up Ethan on this forum and shoot him a PM to see what he has for sale.
Good luck,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk