Author Topic: When to harvest Wurtz Avocado in FL?  (Read 6998 times)

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
When to harvest Wurtz Avocado in FL?
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »
I read conflicting information. One site say between July to Sept, another site list Jan - March. I picked one off my tree last Sunday and it has become rubbery now instead of soft. The avocado I picked was 6oz. Is there any sign to look for to gauge if the avocado is ready to pick?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: When to harvest Wurtz Avocado in FL?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »
In Florida, mid/late October through November.  They will be best in middle to late November.  You will notice the shine on the skin will begin to dull a little.
- Rob

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 02:33:45 PM »
Thanks Rob! I will leave the remaining avocado on the tree until November. Finger cross, no hurricane this year to knock any fruit off the tree!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »
I picked one approximately October 24, and then another October 30.  The first one I brought to my sister in Richmond, VA.  It took about two weeks to ripen, but it didn't become entirely soft, per her report.  The second one took eight days to ripen, and it shriveled as it ripened.  Judging from the texture (just slightly rubbery and watery) and the flavor (lacking oil), I would judge it to be not fully ripe.  The flavor resembles Lula without the sweet component.  My conclusion is that this is a late November to December avocado in my location, and I'll wait until the end of the month before I start to pick the other three.  I didn't wait for the skin to dull a little as Rob recommended.  I'll watch for that.  (This variety has a very thick skin!)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:16:38 PM by johnb51 »
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:11:55 PM »
I picked one approximately October 24, and then another October 30.  The first one I brought to my sister in Richmond, VA.  It took about two weeks to ripen, but it didn't become entirely soft, per her report.  The second one took eight days to ripen, and it shriveled as it ripened.  Judging from the texture (somewhat rubbery and watery) and the flavor (lacking oil), I would judge it to be not fully ripe.  The flavor resembles Lula without the sweet component.  My conclusion is that this is a late November to December avocado in my location, and I'll wait until the end of the month before I start to pick the other three.  I didn't wait until the skin lost its shine as Rob recommended.

Sounds like it an hang a lot loger than until next month.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
Sounds like it can hang a lot longer than until next month.
If the tree bears heavily in future years, I'll definitely strive for an extended harvesting period.  Late November to January definitely would be great.
John

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 01:06:47 PM »
how long does a young Wurtz avocados tree take bare fruit? I planted a crafted tree this summer and am wondering how long would I have to wait. Also, when would I need to fertilize it.  I am in Ft Lauderdale
Thank you for your help

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »
how long does a young Wurtz avocados tree take bare fruit? I planted a crafted tree this summer and am wondering how long would I have to wait. Also, when would I need to fertilize it.  I am in Ft Lauderdale
Thank you for your help
This a very precocious variety, setting fruit the second year in the ground.  You can fertilize a young tree every four months or so.  Just don't give it too much.  Keep it watered, as long as your soil drains well.  Don't over-water and don't over-fertilize.
John

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »
Thank you for your help
This a very precocious variety, setting fruit the second year in the ground.  You can fertilize a young tree every four months or so.  Just don't give it too much.  Keep it watered, as long as your soil drains well.  Don't over-water and don't over-fertilize.

thank you John.. I will start fertilizing it now.. I use fresh worm castings

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 08:17:21 AM »
Thank you for your help

Are there good references for other precocious varieties? I had not heard there was much difference among types until your post.

And I have seen it come up quite a few times now. An avocado may lists its maturation period over two or even 4 months. Does that mean they all actually ripen some two week period within those months or that they’ll hang on the tree and be good to pick for a good while? I’m hoping it’s the latter, and that the fruit are good but maybe not the best for their whole picking period.

Thanks

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
Most avocado varieties have an extended period over which they can be picked.  At the start of the period they have sufficient oil content to be palatable, but as they remain on the tree, the oil content and flavor improve.  This is absolutely the case in South Florida.
John

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 01:45:41 PM »
I picked 2 in early November, and they are pretty good flavor and texture after about 10 days to ripe. I have the same issue that some part of the fruit is hard while some part is soft. I picked another 2 before Thanksgiving and have them sit on my counter now. I have another 2 hanging on the tree, so I may pick them 1st week of December if not mid December. Will report back if the late picked fruit turn out to be excellent.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 10:50:06 AM »
I harvested another Wurtz avocado about a week ago and tasted it today.  The exterior had lost its shine, as Rob had recommended.  I would judge this avocado to be perfectly ripe by the texture, oil content, flavor, and the fact that it didn't shrivel up as it ripened off the tree.  It was fairly close to a Hass avocado in flavor so I would say any South Floridian wanting to grow a California-type avocado should plant this variety.  (Only negatives are a large seed and thick, hard, brittle skin.)  At this point in my experience I would say Wurtz doesn't reach its peak ripeness in our area until the beginning of December.  I have 2 left on my tree, and I'm going to pick one today.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:04:34 PM by johnb51 »
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 11:15:55 AM »
John you should let one hang for a few more months.  Ive got hass avocado and fuertes here that already are as good as store bought fruit.  But they are amazing in about 5 months from now.  A lot of CA avocado types will hang very long and improve.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
Thank you, Brad.  I'll see how long I can leave the last one.
John

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
I harvested another Wurtz avocado about a week ago and tasted it today.  The exterior had lost its shine, as Rob had recommended.  I would judge this avocado to be perfectly ripe by the texture, oil content, flavor, and the fact that it didn't shrivel up as it ripened off the tree.  It was fairly close to a Hass avocado in flavor so I would say any South Floridian wanting to grow a California-type avocado should plant this variety.  (Only negatives are a large seed and very thick, hard skin.)  At this point in my experience I would say Wurtz doesn't reach its peak ripeness in our area until the beginning of December.  I have 2 left on my tree, and I'm going to pick one today.

I agree that the Wurtz avocado has the best flavor and texture if picked in December. However, the size of the fruit make up the size of the stone. The skin is actually not thick, I would imagine if the skin is any thinner, we would have a lot of bugs eat through the skin. Here is my report with photos of the Wurtz avocado:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27007.msg339337#msg339337

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »
The skin is actually not thick, I would imagine if the skin is any thinner, we would have a lot of bugs eat through the skin.

Sorry, this is not the Wurtz I'm growing, purchased from Excalibur.  DEFINITELY NOT THIN-SKINNED.  The skin of my avocado is so hard it actually resembles a shell, much harder and more brittle than the skin of a Hass, which, in fact, is quite pliable and easily separates from the flesh.  The flesh of my Wurtz adheres to the skin.  (Which is why I say it's a negative factor, along with the large seed and THIN FLESH.)  Also, the size of my fruit is small to medium.  I will try to take pictures of the last fruit, but my tech skills are minimal.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:17:08 PM by johnb51 »
John

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
The skin is actually not thick, I would imagine if the skin is any thinner, we would have a lot of bugs eat through the skin.

Sorry, this is not the Wurtz I'm growing, purchased from Excalibur.  DEFINITELY NOT THIN-SKINNED.  The skin of my avocado is so hard it actually resembles a shell, much harder and more brittle than the skin of a Hass, which, in fact, is quite pliable and easily separates from the flesh.  The flesh of my Wurtz adheres to the skin.  (Which is why I say it's a negative factor, along with the large seed and THIN FLESH.)  Also, the size of my fruit is small to medium.  I will try to take pictures of the last fruit, but my tech skills are minimal.

I'm confused, did you get your Wurtz from Excalibur as well? Does your tree has similar characteristic as mine? (i.e. grow spread, and height around 15 ft.). As far as fruit size, what's the weight of fruit you get? This is the first year I have avocado on the tree, not sure if next year I would get the same size, but I will keep the other post alive and keep the progress going. Can't wait for next Spring to see all the crazy avocado flower!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »
We just ate the last one. Oily and well-flavored. Interestingly my wife considers the skin to be thin, but it’s so hard and brittle I can’t call it thin!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:29:52 AM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 10:32:17 AM »
The avocado was under 1 lb. in weight.  My tree has a tall trunk because I pruned it that way.  Othewise it is bushy.  I am concluding from my experience this past year that Wurtz in my location is a December/January avocado, so actually quite ideal since there are earlier varieties (and I have one, Simmonds.  I would probably plant Day or Lula if I wanted another variety in between.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:41:34 PM by johnb51 »
John

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 02:24:22 PM »
I have a wurtz from Excalibur

First year in the ground and planted a lula same day

Almost 8 ft for lula a little over four for Wurtz

Neither bearing age yet

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 03:01:48 PM »
We just ate the last one. Oily and well-flavored. Interestingly my wife considers the skin to be thin, but it’s so hard and brittle I can’t call it thin!

Looks nice
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 03:29:12 PM »
I have a wurtz from Excalibur

First year in the ground and planted a lula same day

Almost 8 ft for lula a little over four for Wurtz

Neither bearing age yet
That sounds like a good combination.  Lula is earlier than Wurtz.  I consider it also a good, flavorful avocado.  If you had room for a summer avocado suitable to your climate zone, you'd be all set!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:43:28 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 03:32:58 PM »
Thanks, Brad.  You California guys have the great avocados.  We grow what we can.  I ate a lot of Fuertes when I lived in California.  They were my favorite!
John

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »
I planted a Day since and have a mature Brogdon already producing