Author Topic: A New Maha Chanok Convert  (Read 23379 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: A New Maha Chanok Convert
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2015, 12:08:49 AM »
Was it ever decided if there are different types of Maha Chanok floating around? I got a tree from TT and am wondering if i'm going to have the same or different fruit than Harry has?

You got tye real thing.  The Mahachanok TT sells now and have sold in the past came/come from Excalibar.   It was brought into the US years after Harry's however the original trees that all of the "offspring " were propagated from were picked out and sent here hy Richard Wilson personally on one of his trips to Thailand.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2015, 01:31:28 AM »
Was it ever decided if there are different types of Maha Chanok floating around? I got a tree from TT and am wondering if i'm going to have the same or different fruit than Harry has?

You got tye real thing.  The Mahachanok TT sells now and have sold in the past came/come from Excalibar.   It was brought into the US years after Harry's however the original trees that all of the "offspring " were propagated from were picked out and sent here hy Richard Wilson personally on one of his trips to Thailand.

OK thanks! I'm ready for my Coca Cola mango.  ;)
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2015, 08:49:48 AM »
Pun intended.......Maha is The Real Thing!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2015, 09:33:26 AM »
Not to start a Cola War in a Maha Chanok thread.. but I'd like to throw down a Pepsi Challenge for skeptics of the superb flavor that Cookie Monster first described:

1. Open a can of Cola and let it sit in the refrigerator for several days until it tastes totally flat to approximate the taste of cola syrup. (The carbonation significantly 'jazzes up' the taste)

2. Get a Sweet Tart mango.  Let it turn completely yellow a ripen until soft.

3. Taste a slice of the Sweet Tart mango. Especially the flesh close to the skin. Scrape it off with your teeth. Make a note of the different tastes. Then try and sip of the flat cola.

I challenge anyone to try this experiment. If you have different findings than us, I would love to hear about it in another thread. If it doesn't taste like cola, then how would you describe the taste?

I love this particular flavor so much that if we could develop a mango that was dominated by this flavor, rather than just a subflavor, it would be a dream come true.

edit: Another close approximate that came to mind was Willie Wonka Bottlecaps candy - the cola ones. I probably haven't had one since some Halloween decades back. But from memory, it closely approximates this desirable mango subflavor.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:47:25 AM by BrettBorders »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2015, 09:38:37 AM »
Not to start a Cola War in a Maha Chanok thread.. but I'd like to throw down a Pepsi Challenge for skeptics of the superb flavor that Cookie Monster first described:

1. Open a can of Cola and let it sit in the refrigerator for several days until it tastes totally flat to approximate the taste of cola syrup. (The carbonation significantly 'jazzes up' the taste)

2. Get a Sweet Tart mango.  Let it turn completely yellow a ripen until soft.

3. Taste a slice of the Sweet Tart mango. Especially the flesh close to the skin. Scrape it off with your teeth. Make a note of the different tastes. Then try and sip of the flat cola.

I challenge anyone to try this experiment. If you have different findings than us, I would love to hear about it in another thread. If it doesn't taste like cola, then how would you describe the taste?

I love this particular flavor so much that if we could develop a mango that was dominated by this flavor, rather than just a subflavor, it would be a dream come true.

Done it (and with other mangoes), tastes eerily similar to a ZINC..oh wait, there is a reason for that, its a sedling of ZINC.  Do I taste any "cola syrup", nope.  Does that make your assessment wrong, nope.  Crazy maybe but not wrong  ;).  Everybody has a different palate and to go further, you can easily read something and get something in your mind and your mind can make it so.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
hahah yah, to me it's a distinct cola syrup flavor in both the sweet tart and the harry Chanok. I don't know of any better way to describe it.

In regards to the Maha Chanok, if eaten very ripe, the cola syrup / south east asian spice is not detectable. In this state, the mango is bland and boring and hence why I never liked it before. But when eaten in the state that some might consider slightly underripe, it's very noticeable.

Another way to sense the "cola syrup" flavor is to smell the sap that exudes from the cut site just after harvesting the mango.

I've also noted that the "middle class" end of the mango eating population tend to eat mangoes using an elaborate technique whereby the mango flesh is sliced into cubes and eaten as if it were hors d'oeuvres. In that format, I believe the flavor near the rind could be lost, since it's difficult to scrape the flesh from the skin with one's teeth. (More importantly, it's difficult to wolf the mango down when separated into 30 little pieces. :-)

I generally cut the mango into 3 pieces, with the seed in the middle. Then, I scrape out the flesh from the 2 end pieces with my teeth, which, in addition to ensuring that no delectable morsel of mango meat is lost, probably enhances the rind flavor :-).
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »
hahah yah, to me it's a distinct cola syrup flavor in both the sweet tart and the harry Chanok. I don't know of any better way to describe it.

In regards to the Maha Chanok, if eaten very ripe, the cola syrup / south east asian spice is not detectable. In this state, the mango is bland and boring and hence why I never liked it before. But when eaten in the state that some might consider slightly underripe, it's very noticeable.

Another way to sense the "cola syrup" flavor is to smell the sap that exudes from the cut site just after harvesting the mango.

I've also noted that the "middle class" end of the mango eating population tend to eat mangoes using an elaborate technique whereby the mango flesh is sliced into cubes and eaten as if it were hors d'oeuvres. In that format, I believe the flavor near the rind could be lost, since it's difficult to scrape the flesh from the skin with one's teeth. (More importantly, it's difficult to wolf the mango down when separated into 30 little pieces. :-)

I generally cut the mango into 3 pieces, with the seed in the middle. Then, I scrape out the flesh from the 2 end pieces with my teeth, which, in addition to ensuring that no delectable morsel of mango meat is lost, probably enhances the rind flavor :-).

It will be ok, Jeff.  I have made the call, the white padded truck is on its way.  We will get you the help you so dearly need...and stop eating mangoes underripe.

- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »
HAHAHAH My wife would appreciate that. I gobble all the mangoes down while she's patiently waiting for them to ripen on the counter :-)
Jeff  :-)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2015, 07:06:14 PM »
I had one of Harry's Maha Chanoks today and it was out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfect mixtue of subacid with sweet with floral--very hard to explain, but after tasting alll the varieties, the Maha was the one we finished off first!! 

Very happy I have the tree!!!

Thanks, Harry. 

Maha Chanok=mango nirvana
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2015, 02:57:54 AM »
Pun intended.......Maha is The Real Thing!

I'm waiting for the Diet Cola version.
Oscar

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2015, 08:32:16 AM »
Mahas are now starting to ripen in my neck of the woods ( 2/ week) and I have to concur with the strong coca cola syrup reference. To me, even the sweet scented sap is perfumed with that cola syrup flavor. If you're fortunate to have visited a fast food chain whose beverage dispener ran out of carbonated water thus loading your drink with coca cola syrup....that's what it tastes like. More impressive are the very undersized, but tree ripened Maha (with seed),...very sweet with that concentrated syrup taste. I am wow-ed and it's clearly the best mango I've had from my yard this season.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »
mmmmmm  nothing like stale cola.....  So glad I don't get any of this soda syrup taste or I'd be done with mangoes for a while.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
mmmmmm  nothing like stale cola.....  So glad I don't get any of this soda syrup taste or I'd be done with mangoes for a while.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2015, 06:22:19 PM »

Here's the trunk of my 20 year in the ground Maha.  The tree has become somewhat shaded out by faster growing trees to all sides, but the top of the canopy does get full sun and there are fruits that have set throughout the tree. The tree was mowed down by Hurricane Wilma and was never fully up righted.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »
Here's one of my heavier fruiting trees along a 4 foot fence.  This tree has been in the ground for about 7 years.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »
Here's another shot from a different angle.

That's a Hasya sapodilla behind and a Lalee Jewo in front.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2015, 06:30:58 PM »
When the concept of eating MC mangos at different stages of ripeness came up I found it interesting.

This year is only my third year of harvesting mangos but realy only my first year with enough fruit to taste at different stages of ripeness. So I've experimented this season.

Primary I've eaten Dot, Val Carrie, Carrie, Rosigold, Brahm Kai Mea, Angie, and a couple of Sweet Tarts. Maha C and the rest are not ready yet.

I have decided that I prefer some of these fruit at full color but still more firm. For instance the Dot, Sweet Tart, and Val Carrie are much more complex in flavor when they are fully colored but still firmer flesh. The complexity at this stage is mind blowing. When I let them get softer and more golden / orange, the sugars overwhelm the complex flavors and i taste ultra rich and sweet mango.  They're still terrific BUT they lack that "Holy $#!T"  factor.

My 2 pennies.
JC

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »

"wow u guys are counting fruits!?

it's funny I guess I'm superstitious, but I believe it's bad luck!

I always end up with a lower number of fruit by the time they are ready to be harvested."

You're right Adam  ;)... but 5 is an easy number to keep track of,lol...but I'm realistic enough to know that most likely that will not be the 'final' number I get to eat  :'(

Nice pictures Harry!

Here's mine...fingers crossed!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »
So as good as Mahachanok is, nobody is claiming it's the GOAT, as seemed to be the case a few years back before Lemon Zest came on the scene?
John

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2015, 02:02:03 PM »
the one i had last week could have won the day at any table
~Jeff

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2015, 05:33:59 PM »
So as good as Mahachanok is, nobody is claiming it's the GOAT, as seemed to be the case a few years back before Lemon Zest came on the scene?

Maha Chanok is like Lance Armstrong. It got disqualified for being on performance drugs. HAHA  No mango will last long on the top. There is just too much competition now a days.
Oscar

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2015, 07:51:14 AM »
I think we're looking for those performance drugs in our mangos! Nothing gets disqualified.

Hasn't there always been a lot of mango varieties, Oscar? Of course, now we have Gary Zill and his breeding program.
John

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »
I have nightmares of flat soda being brought to my table by a waiter. Let's get a fully carbonated Coca Cola mango that fizzles in my mouth when eating. We can call it "Rabies Mango" as you foam at the mouth while eating.

Mangomaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2015, 08:45:34 AM »
Our Maha Chanok flowered and fruited for the 1st time this year. Its about 5 years old and 10 ft tall.
 Its loaded with about 70 fruit, and I had to support the branches. The 1st fruit came off 2 weeks ago with beautiful color and aroma, BUT the taste was bland and watered down. All the other fruit are still hard. Is the tree overworked ? Should I thin the herd a little next year if its loaded again? We,re in PBC Fl.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
I have nightmares of flat soda being brought to my table by a waiter. Let's get a fully carbonated Coca Cola mango that fizzles in my mouth when eating. We can call it "Rabies Mango" as you foam at the mouth while eating.

Maybe if its overripe /fermented it would be carbonated cola syrup...  :o ??? :(
- Rob