Author Topic: What should I graft onto my NDM4?  (Read 2699 times)

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
What should I graft onto my NDM4?
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:01:13 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on what varieties I should graft on to my nam doc mai #4 to match its growth habit? some different tasting indian mangoes would be great to create a "taste of india" cocktail tree.

What would you suggest?

kar1ma3

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: What should I graft onto my NDM4?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 06:26:19 PM »
NDM Siatong, Maha Chanok, Alampur Baneshan, Brahm Kai Meu (eaten green), and possible Coc, Tong Bi Con.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 04:48:48 AM »
NDM Siatong, Maha Chanok, Alampur Baneshan, Brahm Kai Meu (eaten green), and possible Coc, Tong Bi Con.

Thank you sir

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 07:41:23 AM »
Of the above, would only recommend Mahachanok.   Other compatible possibilities are Fairchild,  Pina Colada,  Honey Kiss,  Providence,  Pickering.   In any evdnt, I dont recommend putting any more than 2 additional varieties on the tree for a maximum of 3 varieties.   Personally,  my preference would be a maximum of 2 total varieties.
- Rob

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:10:15 AM »
Of the above, would only recommend Mahachanok.   Other compatible possibilities are Fairchild,  Pina Colada,  Honey Kiss,  Providence,  Pickering.   In any evdnt, I dont recommend putting any more than 2 additional varieties on the tree for a maximum of 3 varieties.   Personally,  my preference would be a maximum of 2 total varieties.

Thanks Rob. I already have Pickering growing in other areas of my yard, so maybe I will add two more varieties to that as well. I also have Venus and Maha Chanok growing, which I believe have a similar growth habit.

This is what I am thinking:
NDM4
- Providence
- Pina Colada

Pickering
- Fairchild
- Honey Kiss

Does that sound like a good match? Any other suggestions for my Venus and Maha Chanok?

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »

Thanks Rob. I already have Pickering growing in other areas of my yard, so maybe I will add two more varieties to that as well. I also have Venus and Maha Chanok growing, which I believe have a similar growth habit.

NDM4
- Providence
- Pina Colada

Pickering
- Fairchild
- Honey Kiss

Does that sound like a good match? Any other suggestions for my Venus and Maha Chanok?

I'll give you my two cents on the matter. I believe with cross pollination your choice for the NDM4 and Pickering will produce very funky flavors. My first choice for the NDM4 would be the Honey Kiss. They are both very sweet desert mangoes and I believe they would compliment each other very well in flavors and growth rate. For a third choice I would probably go with a Edgar or Fairchild. The Pickering is going to be much harder to find a suitable match because it's the most compact grower that I know of. The Frances Hargrave has a top notch flavor with hints of coconut flavor that would go with Pickering very well and is also suppose to be low vigor and easy to maintain. The only other choice I can think of for the Pickering that would come close to the growth rate is the Ice Cream mango, a awesome mango but it has issues with production and the flavor is nothing like the other two.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »

NDM4
- Providence
- Pina Colada

Pickering
- Fairchild
- Honey Kiss

This is what I would do (if you want three total on each tree):

NDM
- Fairchild
- Frances Hargrave

Pickering
- Honey Kiss
- Pina Colada

Venus
- Providence
- Beverly

Mahachanok
- Mallika
- Kesar

I threw in Beverly on the Venus and Providence as they are all late season and have a similar growth habit.  The Mallika and Kesar are slightly more vigorous than the Maha but you could probably make it work together.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 05:22:35 PM »

NDM4
- Providence
- Pina Colada

Pickering
- Fairchild
- Honey Kiss

I'll give you my two cents on the matter. I believe with cross pollination your choice for the NDM4 and Pickering will produce very funky flavors. My first choice for the NDM4 would be the Honey Kiss. They are both very sweet desert mangoes and I believe they would compliment each other very well in flavors and growth rate. For a third choice I would probably go with a Edgar or Fairchild. The Pickering is going to be much harder to find a suitable match because it's the most compact grower that I know of. The Frances Hargrave has a top notch flavor with hints of coconut flavor that would go with Pickering very well and is also suppose to be low vigor and easy to maintain. The only other choice I can think of for the Pickering that would come close to the growth rate is the Ice Cream mango, a awesome mango but it has issues with production and the flavor is nothing like the other two.

Edgar is vigorous.  Would not really fit into any of them.

While some like Ice Cream, I do not see it being that great of a mango and with its propensity for fungal and scab issues, I would not add it to anything.
- Rob

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 07:58:26 AM »
Thanks fellas. Rob, what about cross pollination? I didn't think about that... also do you have another suggestion for Malika? I have one growing in my front yard.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 09:42:41 AM »
Thanks fellas. Rob, what about cross pollination? I didn't think about that... also do you have another suggestion for Malika? I have one growing in my front yard.

The Guava mango would work but you may have to search to get budwood.
- Rob