Author Topic: New Nursery on Maui  (Read 1575 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
New Nursery on Maui
« on: August 13, 2019, 04:29:41 AM »
Saw this on the HTFG FB page.  In Haiku, Maui.  Some of the spellings of the trees are way off (phonetically spelt), but apparently, they have good stuff.  Would like to verify myself.

Moreover, there are some local selected Mango/avocado/durians that may pique some interest of our mainland friends.  However, unless you come yourself to take them to get inspected or have a friend willing to do all the work for you to inspect and ship, this may just be a tease.

http://www.natureworksnursery.com/

Brebarian

• USA, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: New Nursery on Maui
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 12:26:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I've been looking for a lot of these local varieties, I hope they're the real deal. The spelling errors on stuff that really shouldn't be misspelled (White puree) and the sheer amount of varieties available make me a little concerned.

Hopefully they ship to Oahu.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »
I’m hoping to go Maui some time this year and check em out...  plus grab a Fukushima store hotdog also

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »
Thanks for posting about these guys.  Let us know what you find out, Lance.  Always good to have another source. 

John

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 10:57:51 PM »
Thanks for posting about these guys.  Let us know what you find out, Lance.  Always good to have another source. 

John

i have a friend there that is supposed to go and check it out. 

on a side note, my other friend who does orchids for a living told me his stepdad is renting out to this dude.  in general, he doesn't know too much into the details re: varieties or rare species so he couldn't really comment at the time. i need to ask him to check out the place also.

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 12:48:19 PM »
This is my friend Jayanti Nandʻs nursery.  I can vouch for the cultivars.  Much of the scion wood comes from verified bearing trees on my place.  Itʻs one guy trying to translate his lifelong passion and work with fruit trees island wide.  He does have experience shipping inter-island but is not oriented to shipping to the mainland.  Heʻs learned from and been inspired by many, including David Frenz and Frankie.  I realize the website misspellings might make you wonder, Iʻll help him edit the list.  He has many more species and cultivars he plans to propagate but is focusing on mangos and avocados first.  If youʻre on Maui, this is the place to go.  If youʻre in the Hawaiian Islands, check Frankie, David Frenz, and Natureworks.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 09:59:17 PM »
Thanks for shedding some more light on this, Steph.  I'll be looking forward to see what he adds in the future.  You should encourage him to join this group so he can tell us more about his plans.

John

Brebarian

• USA, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 02:28:12 AM »
I can vouch for the cultivars.  Much of the scion wood comes from verified bearing trees on my place.  Itʻs one guy trying to translate his lifelong passion and work with fruit trees island wide.

That's great to hear. Thanks for the info Steph!

I visited Frankie's this spring to check out the mangos, but there were only had a handful of varieties at the time. I'm looking for Cac, Rapoza and S.T. Maui to start, and now it looks like I can knock out at least 2 of them at Natureworks!