Author Topic: Are there improved varieties of black sapote and Barbados cherry  (Read 1511 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
I had a black sapote and put it in too big of a pot.  It died of root rot.  Since I am going to replace it, is there such a thing as improved variety and anyone know to purchase it?  I have never seen it listed.  Also, is there a better variety of bc Barbados cherry than FL sweet?  That is what I have and it is a less than pleasing variety in my opinion.  But, overall I like the shrub and would just like better and more fruit production.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: Are there improved varieties of black sapote and Barbados cherry
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 12:08:28 AM »
Well I'm in FL so my experience may not mean much.  My Barbados Cherry fruit improved a lot now that it's been in the ground for 3 years. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 04:22:57 PM »
I had a black sapote and put it in too big of a pot.  It died of root rot.  Since I am going to replace it, is there such a thing as improved variety and anyone know to purchase it?  I have never seen it listed.  Also, is there a better variety of bc Barbados cherry than FL sweet?  That is what I have and it is a less than pleasing variety in my opinion.  But, overall I like the shrub and would just like better and more fruit production.

Bernecker, Reinecke are improved varieties of black sapote. 

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 04:49:14 PM »
I have Bernecker. It's definitely better than any others I've had. It has less 'musty' taste than others and is sweeter, but there are at least 2 dozen other fruits on my property I prefer to it.  It is a beautiful tree, large leaves, dense, and always a nice, dark shade of green with shiny leaves.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 01:30:46 AM »
I have reinecke and black beauty but haven’t managed to fruit either. Flowers dry up and fall off.

I heard those were good varieties though. 😀

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 02:06:38 AM »
Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk