Author Topic: Pumice and rare Avocado scions for Sale  (Read 3448 times)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Pumice and rare Avocado scions for Sale
« on: June 08, 2019, 04:15:05 PM »
Pumice for sale fines up to 1/4 inch in size in bags pure not mixed with anything else its great for health of roots for pots or amending heavy clay soils the cost is 9 dollars per approx 24 pounds worth plus shipping cost, i also have duke,nimlioh,booney doon avocado scions for sale at 10 dollars each plus 7 dollar shipping box in lower 48 states.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 04:22:41 PM by Avoman »

dodge15

• Louisiana Gulf Coast
    • View Profile
Re: Pumice and rare Avocado scions for Sale
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 10:45:34 PM »
I'll take one of each of the avocado scions.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 11:31:26 PM »
Bonny Doon Winery is in Bonny Doon, slightly the boonies. The “Bonny Doon” avocado is in front of the old Bonny Doon Winery production facility , hence the name, mother tree is ripe now,  in town.

Kaelix87

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 03:46:38 AM »
I'll get one of each also

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 04:45:55 PM »
Dodge... i mailed you a few extra at no extra charge for better chances of success dont forget the Nimlioh is a great AVO tree but needs more winter protection in cold snaps, even the cold hardy types i would protect the first 3 or 4 years, anything under 32 degrees, especaily protect the graft in case you get some cold damage this at least gives you a chance for tree to come back, i still have plenty of pumice for sale i know shipping not real cheap but i,ll try my best to match or beat others prices, sand is not bad to use but pumice is hands down way better it lets the roots breath and can absorb some water and release to roots as they need it, it does not break down like peat over time and much much worse forest processed products which can promote a root rotting condition. Mulch on very top ok but at bottom of pots not good.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 03:42:33 PM »
Im out of scions at this time hopefully have more to sell by winter if not sooner i have Pumice approx 25 pounds for 29 dollars that includes all shipping cost to lower 48 states
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:29:14 AM by Avoman »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »
Avoman, not to rain on your parade but I think shipping cost on pumice is gonna be a deal killer. Stuff is not light compared to vermiculite or perlite.  I'd try to sell for pick up only locally.

I buy large bags of vermiculite for around $22.  Hard to beat for being lightweight and super "airy".

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 12:14:00 AM »
Yes pumice not cheap to ship but will outperform vermiculite  by far and perlite performs better than vermiculite but its stll not anywere near the performance qualitys of pumice, the pots will for sure be heavyer but for more heatlhy  roots pumice is unmatched and its still lighter than sand and/or gravel much less dence.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:27:00 AM by Avoman »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 08:49:50 AM »
Yes pumice not cheap to ship but will outperform vermiculite  by far and perlite performs better than vermiculite but its stll not anywere near the performance qualitys of pumice, the pots will for sure be heavyer but for more heatlhy  roots pumice is unmatched and its still lighter than sand and/or gravel much less dence.

Tell that to my trees.  I've had to top this 11' cocktail citrus tree about 4X since it froze back to a stump Jan. 2018.  It is loaded with limes and oranges.  Left side, rear corner.

Tree in the front, left side of photo, is a 8' Sharwil, Lamb Hass, Pinkerton grafted tree from last year that also froze back to a stump.  It's a good 8' wide and growing like a weed. I hope to get a heavy fruit set next year.  Am rebuilding now.

Frozen back Reed stump, March 19 2018 pushing some fresh shoots.

7 months later, 10'.  I've had to top it twice when it hits 13' at my roof!

I gave up on perlite because the dust is hard to deal with and it's so fragile, falls apart when shipped and handled.  That once "Coarse" grade soon becomes a "Fine" grade.  Vermiculite contains some beneficial elements such as Silicon, is light and doesn't break down thereby maintaining an open soil structure.

To each his own.......  :)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »
I thought i saw a big cold snap in texas last year, do you add heat to your greenhouse ? I wonder how well wood boilers work to heat green houses piped in by hot water tubing, got to be much cheaper to heat that way than propane or electric.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »
Yes, propane heating.  We have seen single digits here.

I thought i saw a big cold snap in texas last year, do you add heat to your greenhouse ? I wonder how well wood boilers work to heat green houses piped in by hot water tubing, got to be much cheaper to heat that way than propane or electric.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 03:06:51 PM »
Propane can be costly but super easy and fast to set up ....... Ive had  some ask me ideal formula or percent of pumice to use that i sell and i would never use less than 25 percent pumice in a large potted plant long term, but not over 50 percent pumice, my pumice performs better than a screened pumice (uniform sized) mine is mixed with the very small pumice  but both are good......
 peat, perlite and sometimes sand is also used in diff formulations if mulch used at all i would only put very top never mixed down low in pot

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
Avoman, not to rain on your parade but I think shipping cost on pumice is gonna be a deal killer. Stuff is not light compared to vermiculite or perlite.  I'd try to sell for pick up only locally.

I buy large bags of vermiculite for around $22.  Hard to beat for being lightweight and super "airy".

You buy that locally or shipped?   If shipped,  link please?   Havent been able to find under $35/40ish.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »

You buy that locally or shipped?   If shipped,  link please?   Havent been able to find under $35/40ish.

local

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 03:14:59 PM »
I do offer pumice to sell to local buyers saves alot on shipping but i do ship alot of pumice all over the lower 48 states since many nurserys either dont sell it or they carry wrong size.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 04:18:45 PM »
I still have alot of pumice for sale i offer it now in 15 dollar flat rate boxes for any buyer not needing 25 pounds worth

jbclem

• USA, California, Topanga, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 05:19:41 AM »
I've been using EB Stone pumice and the size varies between 1/8" and 1/2", but a lot of it is 3/8" and 1/2".  Do you think that's too large for soil mixes?

John

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 04:57:02 PM »
Its on the large side i would down size not to say it would not work depending on type of plant but for avocado ideal is smaller.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »
I've been using EB Stone pumice and the size varies between 1/8" and 1/2", but a lot of it is 3/8" and 1/2".  Do you think that's too large for soil mixes?

John

If you need bulk then that will work.  Fill the pores in your mix with additions of other ingredients both organic and inorganic.

I use to buy that size cheap from a roofing materials company who sells in bulk.  Grew orchids in it.