Author Topic: Pakistan Chaunsa & Anwar Ratol Mango Seedling Project  (Read 2151 times)

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Pakistan Chaunsa & Anwar Ratol Mango Seedling Project
« on: July 16, 2019, 09:38:28 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Wish me luck.  Im working on trying to get Chaunsa & Anwar Ratol Mangoes to sprout.  They were irradiated right before I got them but hopefully I get lucky. 

Let me start by saying this was not a cheap project and I want to thank TntRobbie (Roberto) for buying 2 boxes with me to make it a much more affordable venture. 

The Chaunsas are a lot more expensive and come with maybe 6 in a box if youre lucky so my chances are slim but I did find a seed with a full root system and it smelled full of life.  I will say the Chaunsa is a mango in a class of its own and its got a very special almost condensed milk with a hint of Mango and lemon smell.  I dont know but all I can say is I understand why people in New York were paying up to $100 per box in when they first started allowing them in the US.  I really hope to get something from this ancient genetic pool.  I know if it sprouts it wont be a clone of the real Chaunsa but genetics like this are priceless to me.

Now for the Anwar Ratol I have to tell you that its definitely something different.  Talk about a real carroty taste.  When you cut into these little potent floral smelling things you see a dark orange flesh that almost makes you think its not a mango.

I brought these with me to the Mango Festival at Fairchild and I had a older Indian gentlemen say to me "sir can I see what you have in the bag it smells so strong compared to the rest of the mangoes here."  I gave them as gifts to special people there. 

I have to say its a taste you must acquire.  My Fiancé hated it and she loves mangoes lol.  Again the carroty smell and dark orange color tells me this mango is a carotenoid powerhouse.  I'd love to be blessed enough to work with these genetics in the future as well.  I hope to keep this Journal going for as long as it takes even if it means 5-7 or even 10 years.  Thank you to the makers of this forum because I came from a different world of botany that my family will never approve of and I found my new home here.  Thank you.

Best Regards,

Alex

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:01:37 AM by FloridaBoy »

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Pakistan Chaunsa & Anwar Ratol Mango Seedling Project
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 09:39:55 AM »

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:40:57 AM »

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 09:41:51 AM »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:11:58 AM »
picture of the seed with the white embyro still looks viable. Update us how it goes.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 10:53:20 AM »
picture of the seed with the white embyro still looks viable. Update us how it goes.
  sure will!  Im hoping for the best.

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 05:05:43 PM »
Is your first priority to get a new good variety or fruits as close to these ones as possible?

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 08:00:05 PM »
Is your first priority to get a new good variety or fruits as close to these ones as possible?
Honestly both.  I understand mono seeds do not breed true to the parent tree but I'd hope to find something that is just as special as this Chaunsa or better.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 02:23:03 PM »
I want to thank FloridaBoy (Alex) for opening this offer to the forum. It was also a pleasure meeting him as well- I think he is wayyy more excited about mangoes than I am :D.
The Chaunsa mangoes were a treat to eat. Sweet carroty based with a hint of lime and even fainter cantaloupe tones to my taste buds. Fiberless flesh and even scant long fibers on the skin. I had about 5 of them and their brix ranged from 23-27. I enjoyed them thoroughly. Anwar Ratol was ok. Very small mango with a carroty base. Brix ranged from 19-22.
I have some seeds that look healthy that they might sprout. But in reading about the growth of irradiated seeds....time will tell if they'll grow healthy if they do sprout. Sweet Tart and LZ are still my top 1 and 2.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 10:52:30 PM »
I want to thank FloridaBoy (Alex) for opening this offer to the forum. It was also a pleasure meeting him as well- I think he is wayyy more excited about mangoes than I am :D.
The Chaunsa mangoes were a treat to eat. Sweet carroty based with a hint of lime and even fainter cantaloupe tones to my taste buds. Fiberless flesh and even scant long fibers on the skin. I had about 5 of them and their brix ranged from 23-27. I enjoyed them thoroughly. Anwar Ratol was ok. Very small mango with a carroty base. Brix ranged from 19-22.
I have some seeds that look healthy that they might sprout. But in reading about the growth of irradiated seeds....time will tell if they'll grow healthy if they do sprout. Sweet Tart and LZ are still my top 1 and 2.

Wow brother thank you!  You know I truly believe God always lines the right people up.  I thought about doing all this stuff in secret but I said forget it, Im just going to get involved with a forum and build relationships with like minded people.  Then I meet you and you've tested the brix reading on these mangoes.  Just to throw this out there,  I used to do music and I went by Brix by the way smh lol.  Regular people thought I was referring to drugs but they had no clue lol. 

Im like a kid in Disney right now knowing the Chaunsas all read between 23 and 27?!?  27!?!? Thats probably a record and it definitely beats "Sweet Elena" at 22 from the "1995 Guiness World Record".  We need more guys like you who pull out the refractometer to test genetics.  Sweet Tart is definitely something special.

It is an honor to have worked with you on this project and please add your photos and updates if and when you can.  It belongs to you just as much.  Thank you for your time and appreciate Roberto.  It means a lot to me.

Best Regards,
Alex

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 12:24:21 AM »
Just an update on all the seedling:

Theres quite a bit of Chaunsas that are sprouting.  The Anwar Ratols all look like theyre kicking off and 1 literally has a its first sprout along with a root.

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 12:34:08 AM »

Those were the Chaunsa seeds
Now for the Anwar Ratols:

And Carrie Lactose free Milk Shake to end the night  😋😁

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 01:17:38 PM »
good project. these are mono varieties so it will not come true to parent, but you never know you will get something that is even better.

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 02:03:39 PM »
good project. these are mono varieties so it will not come true to parent, but you never know you will get something that is even better.

Thank you Behl,

I just hope I get a couple to make it.  I'd love to work with the genetics of these 2 varieties in the future. 

Best Regards,

Alex