Author Topic: URGENT! Several New Guinean Syzygium spp. - how to root cuttings successfully??  (Read 3908 times)

Kapiak

• View Profile
This is especially for you all who have had good experience in propagating cuttings of various Syzygium spp. ;)

We're now in a small village in Western Province among hunters- and gatherers. They only grow a limited amount of plants/crops, and amazingly one single village's majority of crops are Syzygium, quite oddly! They have selected the sweetest species from the forest, and left behind the less appealing / sour ones. And they exist in this single village only, not elsewhere in the area because this is the only place with clay soil, all others villages are muddy with brackish river water flooding their areas regularly.

And we're so surprised by the amazing diversity of Syzygiums in one single village's gardens! We've noted over 10 distinct cultivated species or varieties so far in just two household gardens (and way many more sour species/varieties in the forest). Amazing hidden treasure!

All other villages we've visited in New Guinea only cultivated two species: S. aqueum and S. malaccense, so far...

Our local friend here told us that one species has huge black fruits, 20 cm wide, that's 8 inches! Can it really be true? Several others in the village confirmed this. It has red flesh inside and is "swit" (which means "sweet" but it often simply mean great tasting, non-acid, but not necessarily "sugary sweet").

He showed us the mother plant in the forest, and the leaves are enormous (50 cm long, more or less) and beautifully veined, and the tree is the biggest Syzygium tree we've seen, easily 40 m tall with a straight erect trunk measuring 1 m in diameter, but they do successfully cut the top off in their garden to create a shorter bushier tree.

Another tree has several 10 cm big red fruits hanging from the tips of the branches, just 5 metres (15 ft) tall.

Another one have 5-10 cm big whitish-red fruits in big panicles with 5-10 fruits hanging directly from the trunks and 5 metres tall (15 ft)

... and so on ...

This is a haven for selected Syzygium, which we haven't seen elsewhere. So let's preserve this diversity!

Now enough background, let's get to our urgent point:

Not many of them are in fruit now, and the people have cleaned around the trees so there are no seedlings for most of them.

But we really do want to grow them as their future is uncertain as there's a logging company close by and the river keeps getting bigger every year washing away parts of their gardens every year.

And eventually to share them with you, of course! ;)

So, anyone know if there's a good chance of survival for Syzygium cuttings of various species? Several of them look more like S. malaccense than the more easily-rooted S. aqueum...

Any advice, how should we do when we fly home on August 27th?

Bear in mind, being in New Guinea with little supplies available, we don't have access to advanced stuff. We do have ample of own-grown coconut husks, lots of river gravel or sand of various sizes from the nearby river if sand is needed, plastic pots of old soda bottles (or could plant directly into the ground if that's better)...

We also have little, very little, 5 or 10 years old rooting hormone (half of a small now-old-fashioned camera-film-roll can) and we don't have any horticultural chemicals apart from some pesticides (pyrethrines and Imidacloprid and possibly one fungicide and some Osmocote pearl fertilizer (both 13-13-13 and .. uh a second version with higher of one of N or P or K.

So, from what we have, can we ensure good rate of survival of cuttings of those amazing Syzygiums?

Advice please - so we later can share our bounty of seeds with you folks later to try out those amazing New Guinean Syzygiums. ;)

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting
There are several Syzygium species in Western PNG
These species are with information
1)Syzygium acuminatissimum Pink fruit
http://www.natureloveyou.sg/Syzygium%20acuminatissimum/Main.html
2)Syzygium branderhorstii White fruit
http://www.pngplants.org/PNGtrees/TreeDescriptions/Syzygium_branderhorstii_Lauterb.html
3)Syzygium buettnerianum
http://keys.trin.org.au/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Syzygium_buettnerianum.htm
4)Syzygium claviflorum Red fruit
http://keys.trin.org.au/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Syzygium_claviflorum.htm
5)Syzygium fibrosum Red fruit
http://keys.trin.org.au/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Syzygium_fibrosum.htm 
6)Syzygium forte White fruit
http://keys.trin.org.au/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Syzygium_forte_subsp._forte.htm
7)Syzygium pseudofastigiatum White fruit
http://keys.trin.org.au/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Syzygium_pseudofastigiatum.htm 
8)Syzygium puberulum Red fruit
http://keys.trin.org.au/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Syzygium_puberulum.htm 
9)Syzygium suborbiculare Red fruit
http://keys.trin.org.au/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Syzygium_suborbiculare.htm
10)Syzygium zhenghei Pink fruit
http://www.pngplants.org/PNGtrees/TreeDescriptions/Syzygium_zhenghei_Craven_&_Biffin.html

Roy

pauloc

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Nathalie,

Here in Brazil use up some techniques for propagating cuttings Syzygum samarangense . I believe you may have some success with this. Basically you must proceed as follows:

Cut ripe cuttings (with growth already defined) and always using apical cuttings, growth results from the last branch. The cuttings should be about 15 cm and it should be left at the cutting a unique pair of leaves.

To Syzygium  samarangense has not used hormones for rooting cuttings, but maybe for other species is necessary to use something around 100mg / L of IBA immersion for about 12h. Perhaps it is more prudent to try to treat part of cuttings with hormone and other party without hormone ...

After this, the cuttings are placed in vermiculite (10cm stake should be buried) and maintained under intermittent mist, and with 50% shade.
In your case, in the absence of vermiculite and conditions without misting, perhaps viable plant the cuttings in a pot filled with milled coconut fiber and seal the entire top of the pot with a transparent plastic. The plastic must be completely sealed with the pot so there is no loss of water through transpiration, and this will keep the cutting alive for a long time, until she start to take root

Keep the substrate always well watered, and always take care that the drain holes do not get clogged.

The time it takes to root the cuttings varies between 60 and 90 days, and the survival rate is about 60%.

Nathalie, I believe this can help you with these fantastic species Syzygiuns. Any questions please ask me!

Note  - Have you ever thought about making grafting  these materials on Syzygium malaccensis?

Note 2 - Sorry the bad english ..... I need to improve a lot with this

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Roy,
S.forte,suborbiculare,branderhorstii,pseudofastigatum and fibrosum are wild in my area with dozens of other species in this genus also.Many animals and plants are shared with PNG.

Pauloc has great advice with technique.The lazy propagator like me might srip the leaves from the apical stem and cut it right off a few days later.They may also put cuttings in sand with a bag over the pot in shady conditions and wait and hope.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile

I'd get some clonex for hardwood species. Remove leaves, apply clonex, put in 50/50 sand seed raising mix, plant a few inches into the soil,  cover in a plastic bag and put it in the shade and keep it warm.

Works most of the time for me. I'd say about 85% success rate.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:44:30 PM by starling1 »

Kapiak

• View Profile
Thanks a lot Paulo, Mike and Starling!

Very helpful indeed!

Will try some in coconut and some in sand.

Wish I had Clonex! Hopefully my old rooting hormone powder will do some good.

Do I need to sterilize the sand? How can I do it in simple settings?

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
I am doing the sterilization of  the soil by putting the steel pot with soil to the oven and bake it a while, some says that pouring boiling water to the soil, or sand also works.
Of course you have to  allow the sand to cool prior to planting.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:01:07 AM by Radoslav »

Kapiak

• View Profile
Hmm.. no oven in our lowland garden. Could make a fire in a drum barrel and put sand into a smaller metal container
and place the container into that drum..?

Paulo, we do have some seedlings and trees of S. malaccense but I haven't practised grafting yet so not sure I'd be successful on my first attempt ;)
And your English is quite good so no don't worry!

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
Hmm.. no oven in our lowland garden. Could make a fire in a drum barrel and put sand into a smaller metal container
and place the container into that drum..?

Paulo, we do have some seedlings and trees of S. malaccense but I haven't practised grafting yet so not sure I'd be successful on my first attempt ;)
And your English is quite good so no don't worry!

Yes, or just to do fire with pieces of wood and lay piece of metal sheet on two bricks over fire and put sand on that metal sheet and bake a layer of sand on that metal sheet for while.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:48:35 AM by Radoslav »

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
Nathalie do you have access to a couple green coconut?
Use the fresh green coconut water and soak the cuttings in for 2-3 hours in shade.  Or you can get an old coconut & mash its embryo in its water & use that as your rooting aid. Than plant it in fine sand that you have laid out in the hot sun for three days.  Make sure to keep sand layer thin like 1/16 inch & stir over to let sun dry & sterilize it.  In pot put coconut coir at bottom & sand on top. Put cutting in shade & keep it moist & humid.  Putting it in a bag might keep humidity high but my past experiences with them had led to rotting rather than rooting in the tropical heat; so be careful & experiment with. If you have access to an aquarium aerator,  stick the bubling tubing in a bubler head that give find mist; soak the cuttings in coconut green water for 1-2 hours in shade & than stick cuttings; it in a tall glass, & fine mist diffuser connect to the aerator.  I have rooted a lot of Malay Apple cuttings this way outside. Oh dont forget to add clean water to aerate, its like hydroponic!

Find three empty milk jugs or something comparable; label them week one to week three. Have your husband pee in jug one, when it full leave cap open 15 minutes to let air & microbes in than close it & but in shade.  Fill jug week two, do same, fill jug week three, now jug week one is ready for use.  Mix plant elixir of life in 10/90 water ratio & water your plants, they will thank you for home made Miracle grow. Sand substrate does not hold nutrient well so rooting anything require a little martini on the rock to give them a head start.  Remember no nutrient until the plant take root. When in doubt mix the fertilizer as diluted or light as you can.

Let me know In late  August than if Cd package has arrived. Everyone I send Cd packages had received them a week back accept portion of Brazil which steal them & Hopeless India into twilight zone; hope the headhunters did not steal your package.  Please share what ever I send you with the cannibals so when I come for a visit hunting down willughbeia for my breeding; This Appalachian Redneck will not be on the Menu! :-[ :'( ;D 8)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:49:14 PM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Boiling water sterilizes pretty well.

Kapiak

• View Profile
Coconut - haha! I hope they didn't steal mine either.  >:(

Thanks fot the great advices! In Sweden we call the pee fertilizer 'Gold Water' and it's highly valued. :)
Didn't think of three jugs though.. interesting variant.

I do have aquarium aerator but not the fine mist. And only electricity in the Highland garden, not in the lowland yet. Interesting technique!

There are many mature coconut palms in our orchard so green ones are easily obtained at site.

I did see plastic bags over pots in the much more hotter and humid Singapore too but the tops weren't closed but left open for some passive circulation.
I will take 6-8 cuttings of each and try 3 ways from your suggestions and see what works best in our climate and conditions.

Thanks a lot! Feeling more confident now :)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:52:14 PM by Kapiak »

Kapiak

• View Profile
BTW the green coconut,  is it root stimulating or what does it do with the cuttings?

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
Its nature rooting stimulator as well as iv plasma use to replace blood lost.  Unfortunately it has a short life rendering water into vinegar on exposing to air.  I soak many seeds in coconut water from my coconut tree b4 I sow my Annona & have 100% germination.  Seeds i bought, soak in coconut water seem to hydrate them quickly.  I remember in combat they just stuck an iv into green nut & into my vein stop blood loss in the African wars of the 90. I mean replacing my blood plasma lost due to combat wound in the battlefield.

Anyway the tree of life have many other wonderful uses. If you have kidney stone drink it & it will dissolve instanly. 8)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:08:17 PM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Hi Nathalie, this post is so incredible.

Just an idea: wouldnt be good to share some scions with members that can graft into their trees? Maybe in that way you can save more species/varieties

Good luck!
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Kapiak

• View Profile
HuertasUrbanas- Thanks!  I'd love to send scions but it takes one month or more for the parcels to arrive from new guinea so they would be dead long ago I fear..? :(

Coconut - Whoa! I guess they would work as rehydration as well? There is a shortage on rehydration bags in clinics but lots of coconuts...

Will soak your seeds in coconut water before i plant then! :)