Author Topic: What is the Pickering of Jackfruits?  (Read 6213 times)

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
What is the Pickering of Jackfruits?
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »
I just found out that I have enough room for a jackfruit (for some reason I thought they were much bigger trees). So here's my question: since I can only get one, what is the perfect tree that will be easy to keep small, has great fruit, is precocious, and produces
a good crop? Anything else I should know about from you jackfruit veterans before i take the plunge?

I've done a bit of googling and sites like http://www.virtualherbarium.org/tropicalfruit/jackfruit-cultivars.html seem to point toward a Mia-1 as a good option...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What is the Pickering of Jackfruits?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:59:55 PM »
I would have to say that none of the jackfruit varieties would be considered Pickering like in growth habit.  In general, they will all get pretty large if let go.  Now that does not mean you couldn't keep any of the varieties maintained at a manageable height with pruning.  First, make sure you start with a grafted tree.  As far as varieties, Mal 1, Mai 3, Bangkok Lemon and J-31 are all excellent.  Even better, IN MY OPINION, is Dang Suria (Red Morning), Excalibur Red and Excalibur Gold.  Excalibur Gold MIGHT be your best bet for a productive compact tree.
- Rob

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »
Rob,

Out of those varieties you mentioned have noticed any difference in cold tolerance?  Thanks

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »
I would have to say that none of the jackfruit varieties would be considered Pickering like in growth habit.  In general, they will all get pretty large if let go.  Now that does not mean you couldn't keep any of the varieties maintained at a manageable height with pruning.  First, make sure you start with a grafted tree.  As far as varieties, Mal 1, Mai 3, Bangkok Lemon and J-31 are all excellent.  Even better, IN MY OPINION, is Dang Suria (Red Morning), Excalibur Red and Excalibur Gold.  Excalibur Gold MIGHT be your best bet for a productive compact tree.

I agree with Rob. The Excalibur Gold seems to be compact and productive. The only problem would be acquiring one of the trees since I don't think they are available yet.

I would focus on getting a good quality grafted jackfruit and then just continuously prune it to maintain the size. The Bangkok Lemon, J-31 and the Mai's are excellent choices as well.

On a side note, that website has Mai 1 spelled wrong. It should not be Mia 1.

happyisland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »
Thanks Rob & Sheehan for the recommendations. Now, can you recommend a good nursery that could supply me with a nice grafted tree that would be able to survive to boat to Aruba? I love pruning and messing with trees, so I don't mind doing the work to keep the tree small - as long as I don't get the Valencia Pride of Jackfruits...  :D

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »
I have no first hand knowledge but I am wondering how well jakfruit will take to heavy pruning in your arid climate.  Maybe this is not a concern but if you have seen the jakfruit pruning videos on the fairchild gardens website, Dr Campbell states that jakfruit should only be pruned during the rainy season.  In south Florida, we average over 6 inches during August and September.  A quick google search shows that your average rainfall is 16 inches a year and October is your peak at around 2.5 inches.  If this is truly important, you could compensate with rain barrels or other forms of irrigation after pruning or possibly more frequent, less severe pruning.   
Brandon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »
Rob,

Out of those varieties you mentioned have noticed any difference in cold tolerance?  Thanks
No, I don't think so.  I would not say they are super cold hearty but would also say they are not super sensitive.  In your case/location, if you keep it a manageable you should be able to protect it in any severe cold snaps.
- Rob

ofdsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 07:21:15 AM »
Rob,
Do you have any idea when the Excalibur gold trees will be available?

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 08:24:49 AM »
Hi Rob
In India,we have  plenty of jack fruit trees ,especially in Tripura,from where I come from.Most of the trees are from seedlings.Seedlings will give fruits within 3 years. Initially they are small and only after 20  years they become big trees.The trees can be pruned easily,we do it in rainy season.I can send seeds to you in summer.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:22:36 AM »
Rob,
Excalibur Gold jackfruit trees are available for sale at Excalibur in 3 gallon size.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 09:30:32 AM »
Hi Rob
In India,we have  plenty of jack fruit trees ,especially in Tripura,from where I come from.Most of the trees are from seedlings.Seedlings will give fruits within 3 years. Initially they are small and only after 20  years they become big trees.The trees can be pruned easily,we do it in rainy season.I can send seeds to you in summer.
I am not sure if you are directing this at me or not...I am aware that seedlings will tend to fruit as early as 3 years (with grafted trees tending to fruit in as early as 4 years).  The main difference, as almost any comparison with seedling vs grafted, is that a grafted tree will not ultimately get as tall as a seedling will.  Seedlings will tend to grow faster while grafted tend to grow slower, more compact and not at large in the final outcome.

I thank you for the offer but I would not be interested in any seed....however if you had an exceptional quality established jackfruit I may be interested in some budwood.
- Rob

Roy-Ind

• View Profile

ofdsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
Rob,
Excalibur Gold jackfruit trees are available for sale at Excalibur in 3 gallon size.

Ok great thanks.

happyisland

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 01:38:18 PM »
Rob,

Hey Rob - do you think a 3-gallon would make a 10-day trip to Aruba intact?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 03:18:19 PM »
It is interesting how jackfruit varieties come for a while and get replaced.In Malaysia J31 is still one of the 8 to 10 varieties being recommended to be grown for commercial growers.J33 and tekam are the cream of the crop.NS1 and J 30 seem to be falling by the wayside.In Australia old popular types like black gold,gold nugget,cochin and cheena are getting hard to find.There doesn't seem to be clear named varieties replaing them just selections named after people or no names.

Roy-Ind

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 01:46:23 AM »
Sorry Rob,I wanted to get attention of Happyisland but I picked your name.If you are in USA, I can send budwood,wrapped in PARAFILM M(I do not have it).India has nice Jack as well as Mano cultivars.I have cited some link for information on Jack cultivars in India.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk