Author Topic: The best Annona Crassiflora, A.coriacea and D.lanceolata seeds for sale ever!  (Read 20698 times)

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Hey Joe,

Great to hear they sprouted so fast! Now for that bad news... So sorry about the mixed bag!
If you look in that bowl labelled as Annona coriacea, you will see two distinct set of seeds...

One a darker, longer, thinner, shinier seed, which I think most looks like a sugar apple seed...Annona squamosa...I count around 6-7 dark seeds...and looking at the lighter green seedlings on he right side of your tray, if I had to guess, they fit  A. squamosa, ....or something close to it.. maybe cherimoya/atemoya??

The other seeds in that bowl of A. coriacea are more lighter brown, and flatter...hard to tell, but agree seedlings do not look like A. coricea.

The Seeds in A. crassiflora look about right.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
I didn't notice that there were two types of seeds in that Coriacea bag, but I'm glad I took the picture.

Someone suggested the other might be Pond Apple (Annona glabra).

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
  8) I'm glad you did, it helps in the ID.

Pond Apple? No I don't think so. The seeds, nor the seedlings(darker ones) match pond apple.

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
Hi Joe, sorry if I've checked only now your post, I was very busy in the last weeks.
Regarding to coriacea seeds I had the same surprise, that's why today I forwarded your questions to my friend in Brasil.

I expect his feedback asap, and I 'l be back to you as well.

Thanks,

Giampaolo

I have good news and bad news about these seeds. The good news is my ordered arrived quickly, the seeds were in good shape and some germinated quickly. The bad news... well, I'll get to that in a moment.

Annona coriacea:

Annona crassiflora:

Duguetia lanceolata:

I grew each of the three species in three separate tubs. The Duguetia and Crassiflora seeds have not yet germinated, but the tub of Coriacea seeds came up very quickly. As the seedlings grew I was surprised to see two very different looking plants in that tub. I asked some friends who have grown Annona coriacea before, and they said neither one of these look like Coriacea. Perhaps they are Annona squamosa, Annona montana, or some other common Annonas.

I don't think Giampaolo is dishonest, but his friend in Brazil is either a scammer or just very sloppy.

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
Joe, I got the feedback by now. Sorry if it's in brasilian, but my friend only speaks that language. Here it is the conversation:

I asked him if there was any error related to mixing the seeds, and that was the answer:

"Impossível qualquer mistura de sementes. Resta saber se quem recebeu mais de uma qualidade nao as misturou ao semear. O que acho improvável,  visto que vão embaladas e denominadas. Como vc mesmo as recebeu."

So that seems it's not the cause, nor mixing of your seeds since they were all labeled and, to be sincere, this guy never gave me wrong, false or mixed seeds in more than 5 years. Furthermore, he added:

"Mas de imediato posso dizer duas possibilidades. Polinização cruzada ou sexualidade.  Como tenho certeza da procedência das sementes vale um estudo mais profundo.  Para isso tenho os departamentos das universidades para uma analise mais científica."

So it could be that there has been for strange reason a crossed pollination between varieties! Very rare, but it also happened in the past to him. He owns one of the biggest farm in Cerrado with a lot of fruits cultivars. So it could be..

When I asked to him why some seeds were with different colours of the same specie, that's was the answer:

"Sim,  coloração é normal. Todas,  inclusive marolo tem essas variações. Dependem do ponto de maturação do fruto, da secagem,  do tratamento e outras variáveis m Marolo por exemplo tem infinitas colorações . Desde a casca do fruto, polpa e sementes.  Mesmo sendo da mesma matroz vemos variações"

Until the seedlings are more bigger and the leaves are in their right shape and consistency I think is difficult to say they are not A.coriacea. But the fruit is the truth: I will ask him to contact his friends in university to have a feedback from them as well. If the answer is not satifying you I can arrange your payback to what you received. By my side, I will keep mine since they could be a very rare variety I wouldn't miss.

The nature is very strange sometimes!

hope it clears for the moment,

Giampaolo

Ji

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
Annona crassiflora seed you have?

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
Hi, yes we have some remained but they are not that fresh at the moment. The fruiting season is gone!

cheers,

Giampaolo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk