Author Topic: Eugenia uniflora Pfaff Fantastic  (Read 11471 times)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
Eugenia uniflora Pfaff Fantastic
« on: March 14, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
This unusual weathers have lead me to my first harvest of Blackstar, Zill and a knew fantastic seedlings  variety at a distinquished friend backyard.

Zill & Blackstar in the Cristel frying pan are the smaller fruit, while Pfaff's Fantastic are the fruit larger than the American quarter.  I love the Zill & Blackstar over the last two delicious  years but after tasting this Pfaff Fanstastic I have to say even the red fruit were superior to both Of my Pride and joy Zill & Blackstar suriname cherry.  The unripe red fruit taste like the best Tree ripen sweet Bing Cherry!  Didnot let any to turn black but can only imagine what it taste like.  Frank try my Zill's & Blacstar at the house and turn his patrician nose in digust!

I am not sure if this a known varieties all three tree appear as seedling with the center tree being a favorite of the wife.  Hopefully Florida jumbo, Champa or Vermillion would produce soon to make a comparison.  You can bet that I am going to jump over Frank fence at night to dig it out for my breeding!😄

The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia uniflora Pfaff Fantastic
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »
You sound like a salesman. Where can I buy scions? :)

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 06:19:54 PM »
Those are huge! How many pits were in them? My trees have occasionally produced fairly large fruit that invariably had two pits in them.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
You sound like a salesman. Where can I buy scions? :)

My favorite Pinoy at this site, when the hell are you coming down from Maryland and buy my new Lamboghini Hurican I got as a gift for Medusa Coconut selection.  Hey only 100 miles on it so far this month and absolutely guarantee to attract more Jewish Grandmas than my Porsche Macans Turbo S  for Burmese Red Sugar Apple selection at Misner Park.  Those Cheap skate Annona Mafias gave me the cheapest model which does not attract all the hot babe gold digger chicks I was dreaming about. 😭😂😭 It got real yellow Jackfruit lumber interior trim that I had requested and creamy white exterior like my Boca Snob Giant Chewy Sugar apple, a limited edition can be had for 400k and I will dig all three Pfaff Fanstastic Surinam Cherry five feet  trees thrown in for free; dam I sound like a used car salesman, Well its used, Guaratee no peepee from my gang of six Malteses.

While I am at it, the house in Background has a 200 feet boat slip you can park a Mega Yacht and I throw in a dozen Macupuno coconut trees around your salwater swimming hole for 4.5 mill unfurnished of course.  Act now & you can beat the real Hurricanes next time & the only Pinoy in US with real Macupuno pick fresh from your own trees. 😜

Act now before this Tennessee Hillbilly BillyBob is going to steal your Pfaff Fantastic Surinam Cherry trees; he said it taste like Muscadine grape, the center tree with double seeds!  Act now this Used car Salesman carrier is in a gumbo limbo tree!🏫🚢🚘😄

Did you mentioned I was a used car salesman, act now And I will throw in a Taiwanese Big Eye Sugar apple that is flowering at less than a foot; here is BillyBob admiring it.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:10:04 PM by Coconut »

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »
Those are huge! How many pits were in them? My trees have occasionally produced fairly large fruit that invariably had two pits in them.

Yes coffee berry like in this double pit. Bob407 can describe you the taste he ate so many off them I forget to take fotos while we were stuffing our face before Frank get home & give us a redneck welcome, a double shotgun dance!💃

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
I did get to sink my teeth into this excellent fruit. I have always disliked them and have always eaten them when offered to be cordial. However after trying these I was definitely ready for more. Sorry for cleaning the tree! There was no resiny taste or sappy after taste and it did remind me a lot of some grapes that I have eaten up north. Even the fruits that weren't fully dark tasted great with no resin. This tree would easily earn a spot in my yard. I love it when I can scratch a fruit off the "dislike" list!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:44:01 PM by Bob407 »
Life is good

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 04:41:11 PM »
Oh, I would like to taste them

I know your first love is a champion of our beloved lowly hedge cherry.  It is bursting with a second heavy 2015 crop.  Hopefully the owner of these trees can offer better selection down the road.  As of now he gotten the breeding bug too & field trying as many as he can sprout for his palatial ground!😄
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:00:58 PM by Coconut »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »
I did get to sink my teeth into this excellent fruit. I have always disliked them and have always eaten them when offered to be cordial. However after trying these I was definitely ready for more. Sorry for cleaning the tree! There was no resiny taste or sappy after taste and it did remind me a lot of some grapes that I have eaten up north. Even the fruits that weren't fully dark tasted great with no resin. This tree would easily earn a spot in my yard. I love it when I can scratch a fruit off the "dislike" list!

damn they must be good if Bob likes them!

now you've got me convinced its nice selection!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »

damn they must be good if Bob likes them!

now you've got me convinced its nice selection!

Yes Adam I got excited about the Zill from your evaluation three years ago I think.  After tasting one at a friend house, I went from a hater of Suriname cherry to a lover of this lovely often misunderstood & underated fruit popular with birds & coons & its claim to fame as an affordable  hedge to make good neighbors.  I went into breeding mode operandi & scourge the planet for superior name varities & backyard hedge bandits for my germplams collection of only large fruit type.  I am in a quagmire of pulling the plug on the Zill I bought a productive tree from Excalibur two years ago and several blackstar seedling trees I love; bought from 7 head out of Hawaii on Ebay awhile back.

Bob407 ruined my Sunday Afternoon with his bombshell assessments and confirming Frank disgusting for my inferior promises.  It was a torturous depression for which I had to bring out my wakashasi (Kantana is over kill) to help my beloved Zill & Blackstar Seedling trees commit Honorable Seppuku. 

What stop my heinous deed were my six Maltese habits off running under the trees and eating the purple ripe fruit & leaving the reds alone.

A stay of beheadings by the wife until I can replace it with a better tasting one for my Six Maltese Girls; wife always win even thought she have never care for the surinam Cherry I have!😄
It's like all your life you been lie too & you discover the epiphany of the truth & set everything free, this selection of Surinam is that Good. Five James Beard Awarded just on taste alone!👍👍👍

Now I just have to beg a clone from Frank & trade something of genetic rarity he doesn't have; wish me luck!😎

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 02:28:47 PM »
I can understand how some people may like a resiny tasting Surinam, like some people prefer the turpentine and resiny mangoes, however I don't. To each his own. I did forget to mention I tasted Frank's seedling side by side with the Zill's, Black Star and several others and have tasted many in the past. Frank has a winner.
Life is good

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 03:16:09 AM »
Frank's Father recently passed away two days ago at 96 so I went over to console with the old fart how he is doing; he was quite the Pilgrim and spread out a banquet of Giant Suriname Cherry for this Choctaw Indian to enjoy!  Here is 2015 second crop which is much bigger than the first because I told Frank to water it to induce flowering.

The Pilgrim & his wife ate all the sweet black one when I arrived today at high noon ready for a redraw of Surinam tasting with the Pilgrim since a month ago they raised a Boca Snobbery to my well worship Zill & Blackstar in class digust.   The First time I took Bob407 before Easter & Nullzero on Easter, the guys were enjoying the fruit from the first, tree A.  Tree B & C didnt have any left because the Pilgrims ate the best trees before the three wise fruit men arrived for the Surinam Nativity.  It was flushing out with new crops so I was excited today to taste Tree B & tree C. For the first optimal time.  Tree B was the most outstanding of all the three, tree B has 95% of fruit larger than the American quarter.  Tree B was the most robust, tall and the fruit when green yellow taste like a Kari Starfruit minus the sweet kisses but a sweet tart quite delicious pleasant!  Tree B with its red fruit my favorite has a tart tangerine bing cherry flavor which my six Maltese adore and I couldn't believe my own eyes; the wife fighting  the dogs for them; she hated the Zill & Blackstar Surinam cherries which I love until I ran into Tree A that the three Magi enjoyed last month and thought they are best Surinam we Three Desparados have had!

Nullzero ate a fruit from Tree A that was seedless, Tree A also have double seeds as seen in previous of this thread like coffee bean; not peaberry like Tree B & Tree C. Tree B Black fruits taste like a delicious concord grape or Muscadine and or Jaboticaba fruit; which was too sweet for me I love the unripen red tangerine flavor or the yellow green preemies with its crunch starfruit Kari Apparitions!👻

Tree C however was the slowest to ripe & the least robust but carry triple that amount of fruit!  Tree B stone was quite small with the greatest fleshy ratio as compare to Tree A & Tree C!

In conclusion Tree A & C green fruit taste awful, yellow fruit taste sour than a sinful sauerkraut on rye bread!  I have convinced Frank to destroy Tree A because the seeds from Tree B cross with Tree A, for Breeding tree B is the Sole distinguished line where our goal next to breed & select Surinam the size of a Fifty US Cent!  While Tree C for it heavy bearing of quarter size fruits be used for juicing.  I will start making clone & I isolate them an hour north in Loxahatchee Fruity Acres to insure no wild Surinam or domesticated be Pollinating Tree B; will breed this line Frank being a Latin teacher call it Boca Vividia!( Boca Spanish for Mouth and Vividia Latin for Lively)!😸  Eugenia Uniflora Boca Vivida "Lively Mouth"!😘. Absolutely no Resin in green, yellow, red or black, who knew another greatest fruit discovery is in a fellow farting compatriot! The wonders of discovery may the fart be with you Jedi!.🎉🎊🎈🎁
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:48:13 AM by Coconut »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
Looking good, thats some really large surinam cherries.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »
WTF....and I have been selecting , selecting and more selecting for 10 plus years now .....ending up with a red that has 0 resin and super sweet , true to type from seed . Also a black bigger size and firm flesh no resin .
I didn't know there were named varieties in the us .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 05:04:03 PM »
Then I guess there is hope. I have tried several surinams over the past few months, most just walking around the neighborhood eating peoples fence lines lol (cuz no one even knows they are edible) But continue not find one I like enough to eat. Wife likes em, me, eh..... but guess this gives hope I will find one I like.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »
Very exciting Coconut. Can't wait for them to become available. Growing rootstock in the meantime :)
Shane

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 03:57:01 PM »
Coconut,

why not just graft some?

it's easy...and fun to do.

sounds like u have a winner.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 08:19:41 PM »
I am interested in these improved varieties of surinam, as I was bitten by the surinam bug earlier this Spring. 

Luc, are your black selections true from seed like the red?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 09:24:55 PM »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 04:33:01 PM »
The Pilgrims invited me over this week for the Pintanga Thanksgiving, blacken ripe fruits fiesta in abundant that were a missed in the previous banquet!  A Second Pseudo Scientific Expedition Examination, with all three wind caress trees burden with black Manna from heaven, were a mental orgy of profound promiscuity to this observer’s well calibrated farts! ;)

I was scrutinizing  Tree A like my high school first date, checking the streamline of every ribs on the luscious velvet nipple fruits and popping those black kisses in faster than the rejections of my childhood. :-X

Tree A was truly Redneckity like me, the genetic kin were so young & vibrant kissing cousins; makeup were all over the place! We have fruits that were truly close to 1.5 inch to fruit smaller than a tick's ass & mundane.  Some fruits have double or triple seeds, some with pea berry and super midget seeds; with some fruit seedless, wow???  ::)

Like my High School Dates the French Kisses were all extra virgin messy & obtuse confusion; You sink a slaving lip into two dozen fruit tranche and all 24 flavor profiles were not uniform but ill inform, too much unique and as disperse in palate as the hues on the Rainbow, I see no pot of Gold here. A geometric function on the tree; sickly sweetness tanning in the Sun & Tartness hidden in vampire shade with the middle being the Goldilocks hunting ground.  8)

Some fruits are a reflection of ebony with a sweet French Vanilla smooches like my prom dates.  While other dark luscious red like homecoming dates, oh God someone forgot to brush their teeth, while still other fruits were pleasant antiseptic orange red taste like a cheap dollar store mouthwash (excellent redneck mosquitoes repellent & cologne). There were no resinous fore play to be had but the moral ambiguity were too great to call this teeny bopper Tree A a winner by the new mode operandi (but tree A will still shame Chaperones Grandpa Zill & Grandma Black Star in my personal Pintanga collection for taste to this Backyard Prom Ball)!  :blank:

Tree C remind me of my College Sweetheart looking to major in MLS (Marriage License).
Very nice fruit but very fragile tender, easy blemish, attention seedy; a high maintenance with fruit production slow to ripe and smaller or close to a Washington quarter! The flavors were a tease of resinous imperfection and conversation you soon easily forget! Ambush tastes parlay any ambition for breeding this party sorority girl with no class; the fart was incestuous
to Tree C. :'(

Tree B is truly an epicurean wet dream.   It makes foreplay in golden meditation; how can this hedge gypsy flamenco draw so much passionate Bohemian in me??? :-* :-*

Tree B remind me of when I first met my wife, my Pride and Joy; Robust Social grace, tall & gentle flavors, abundant savory, unmatched charity demanding very little worldly luxuries outside of Water Miser Frank practice! >:(

Tree B give me every reason, to make a life time commitment to fall in love with my Eugenia Uniflora over and over again!  With each kisses was like that virgin first, time craving endless lust and passion to the lips and tongue as its essence & umami massage one finite palate into infinite flavor complexities; a note of cherry, green apple, crunchy maggots, as fresh harvest mangoes aperitif climb the noses...and molest the sense, I feel like 21 again! ;D

Tree A & C, I thought of asking Frank to dig them out & move them to a nursing home, but after this second visit; I would burn them at the stake for heresy!  Tree B, we air layer a small branch, I am experimenting root cutting with a hormone gel but no grafting to insure no genetic foreplay down the Eons to mess up my nature approach to breeding & selection within Boca Vividia Pintanga (Tree B) Line.  :)

Tree B produce 95% of its fruit greater than a quarter with the lion share averaging 1.25 inch with some straddling 1.55 inches and its is the best tasting Surinam Cherry I have eaten anywhere so far on this continent!  My Goal is to get to 2.5 inches.  Hopefully if I can find the Lorver Suriname, maybe perhaps a cross to see if I can produce a monster larger without the three seeds scenario.  I have Vermillion, Florida Purple, Lolita, Champa, Zill and Black star in My Collection.  If anyone has the Lorver Surinam I will be interest since according to Montoso Garden they produce cherry close to two inches & a red fruit with tangerine taste!  I am looking for sweet no resin Surinam cherry that in green stages or unripe green to yellow to orange that have a sweet tart crisp like a star fruit and then when ripe red or black sweet tart to diabetic sweet; exactly the characteristic of Tree B fruit after two sample two weeks apart or so with consistent flavor profiles! :D

Yes Luc I have been searching for the Holy Grail Suriname Cherry too!  I have even planning on crossing it with my now flowering Oscar oddball Eugenia neonitida that just flower right now after spending two seedling years from seed; hopefully to get a large hybrid fruit outside of the Surinam line if it works at all!  I will be happy to send you the pure Boca Vividia Surinam Cherry seeds in the third crop for trade debt already incurred with you! No Adam I am not graft propagating for breeding since the graft rootstock can flowers from the root scions like Tree C & Tree A, and Tree B rooted bottom scions were flowering at six inch above soil line, so I dont want a risk of messing things up down the road when my Dementia hit!  Pure to the root lessen trouble through a field trials of thousand of plants; right now I am air layering in airpot, root cutting and root scions lancing to see which methodology works. :-\

After eliminating Tree A & C, we will strip Tree B of any fruit and see if we can induce 3 rd crop of year to get a pure Boca Vividia Surinam Line so the seed will be as true can be or better than mother tree!  100 seeds of black will probably produce 75% black fruit and the rest 25 % a natural regression to dominate red trait.  I think if I can keep breeding and selection for large fruit, best tasting in green stages and Robusta under desert cerrado condition like Frank’s back yard.  Perhaps in 15 years we might have a 2.5 inch Suriname Cherry Holy Grail that is 95% true to black fruit seed.  Unless someone in Brazil have already developed one or Luc beat me to the rally? :(

Frank's Wife Diane brought to my attention that while making a nectar and deseeding them she notice after taking them out of the frigerature, there were visible fruit flies maggot in the delicious fruits!  These maggots offer exciting textures and characteristic that the fruit lovingly deserve.  The cold kill the maggots so when I crunch down they were not squirming from the jaw of death but happily gave me the beluga caviar sensation.  Each bite of Tree B kisses was a voyage of mystery like my wife, I keep discovering new things to keep the monogamous relationship lasting a lifetime, you love each other flaws like these caviar maggots. :o

Like my wife the love of my life, this Hedge lovely I have fallen in love with everyday.    I do solemnly swear to take care of my wife in death and sickness, this hedge lovely I personally will Zen meditate on the joy of peeing at night and quadrupling the water, planting it in front of the house so I can watch spy NAZI my neighbors in my old age, while urinating behind my lovely Surinam hedge and calling the HOA to complaint about everything to drive them board members into an early grave for the years of duress they cause on my fruit hobbies! Eugenia Uniflora Boca Vividia Baby!!! :D

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
thanks for the long, detailed post.

so when are you going to graft up some of these?

I'll take a pair....put me on the list.

and let me know when you publish your book about surinam cherries, I'll buy a pair of those too.  :P
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »
I just noticed your concern about grafting trees...

just make sure to trim off the suckers, and you won't have to worry about flowers from the rootstock?

they are easy to maintain.

or you could possibly employ a nurse graft (as described by MikeT)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 04:51:58 PM »
thanks for the long, detailed post.

so when are you going to graft up some of these?

I'll take a pair....put me on the list.

and let me know when you publish your book about surinam cherries, I'll buy a pair of those too.  :P

Wait till the third crop Adam; I will try my hand best at grafting them and you can disperse them far and wide  Johny Adamseed!😃I am the site best masturbater  & a professional with my bare hands bare no equal but definitely not a master grafter by any stretch of the imagination! (I suck & have no patience for Frankenstein)😆. Thera even gave me some fancy French grafting knife that I  have discovered it was better modified & used as throwing knife on tree squirrels and quails!🙀 I dont know why people always give me grafting knifes, my Military knife collection is huge ( 21 grafting knives make me look bad!)😾??  I need 1,000 seedlings of Boca Vividia plant at my aquaponic farm in Clewiston!  I have check the area and there is no wild or domestic suriname cherries within that 10 miles radius.  They will be planted as hedge fence, windbreak and natural feed supplement for the aquaculture species! They will thrive on neglect & we will cult and select only fruit trees producing larger than 1.5 " with tangerine taste & color, tree that produce red purple bing cherry taste and tree with concord grape taste I can have My Jewish brother in law market as passover juices; now I just have to get my Rabbi neighbor across the street to kosher it!😄. I will post my results here, no money in Surinam Cherry Breeding to cook a book that will put me to sleep too reading the scientific diachotomy💰. Its' a labor of love for these hedge sentry and I am just tire of eating the smaller size fruit, deseeding time consuming.  Top notch Surinam cherry have complex taste I gind more interesting than Durian or even my Favorite Annona!😋. Thanks for posting about them in year past and got me hook on these hedge berries!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

My goal is to Select bred it to 2.5 inch size with tree producing the desire trait of 95% fruit greater than or equal to 2 inch!  Grafting a thousand bush is costly and cleaning the grafting rootstock sports are prohibitedly maintenance consuming, when does the worker have time to husbandry our intensive cultivated finfishes, crustaceans and turtles?🐟🍤🐢
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:23:48 PM by Coconut »

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »

Wow Giant Boca Vividia Surinam Cherry in S. Florida this early?
I was over at Frank to get a bunch of scions for Adam, Frank were under the weather and didnt see tree B had flower last month and now we are stuffing our face again with giant surinam cherry.  Thank God I caught these Riping fruits in time before my RV thus Friday. Tree A & C had been cut ti the ground and rip out last summer.  Tree B is in full bloom right now fir a second crop beside the fruits we are harvesting right now.  Dam and I ws ready to harvest our first croo of scions fir grafting. We had experiment with an airlaying over last summer and I had detached the plant three months ago and hopefully this airlayer will make it;

Will keep you posted on second crop when I return from my RV trip March.  With the wettest winter in decades, I think this tree will crop four time at least this year if we have such abundant moistures.  Since tree A&C were destroy Tree B naned by Frank Boca Vividia is now double in size and we should have plenty of pure seeds and scions from Urban Jungle Farmer Frank; Viva Boca Vividia!🤗🍷

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 08:56:15 PM »
Mr Coconut
Please put me on the list for pure seeds from the Surinam cherry
THANKS
Mike