Author Topic: Robinson mandarins this year  (Read 1309 times)

mehmetsaygin

• Adana
    • View Profile
    • I design mobile games
Robinson mandarins this year
« on: December 23, 2018, 03:56:26 AM »
Hello.

This week we harvested Robinson mandarins. Because we had to prune too much at the beginning of the season, the yield is lower than usual so fruits got big :)

These mandarins on the photo have 250gr average weight and diameter is around 3.5"

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
Re: Robinson mandarins this year
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 06:09:53 AM »
This was my first citrus tree, bought in 2005. (Lost him, because I had zero experiences as citrus grower with citruses in pot at that time).

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
Nice looking fruit.   The peel looks nice and clean, with no thrip, scale markings.  Is most of your fruit imported or sold domestically?

mehmetsaygin

• Adana
    • View Profile
    • I design mobile games
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 01:18:33 PM »
I am sorry for your tree Radoslav.

It is one of the best varieties I've tasted.
One disadvantage is; it makes too much cracked fruit. (I don't know right term for it in English but fruit peel gets cracked and fruits drop.)

Robinson trees like hard pruning very much and it really increases yield.

Thank you Millet :) Robinsons are getting imported every year and it is one of the profitable varieties. W.Murcott is the leading variety at the moment as price per kg.
Satsumas are sold domestically in September and October.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
Methmetsaygin,  the common word for a cracked peel in English is "spilt".  As in ...the peel has split open.

mehmetsaygin

• Adana
    • View Profile
    • I design mobile games
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 03:10:56 PM »
Thank you Millet.
Split opening is a serious problem with Robinson and Nova mandarin and it can split up to %30 of total yield.

Academic reports recommend 3 application of %2Ca(NO3)2 (CALCIUM NITRATE); 20 ppm GA3 (Gibberellic acid)  and 20 ppm 2,4-D (2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid) and this helps keeping splitting fruits up to %60.

We make this but on the other hand some farmers noticed if they DON'T apply Gibberellic acid at the beginning of the season for fruit set, the splitting occurs in smaller ratios. Somehow, with an unknown mechanism to us, GA3 increases split ratio as they say.