Author Topic: Rustoff and Verdagro  (Read 912 times)

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Rustoff and Verdagro
« on: April 09, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »
Does anyone use these products in their irrigation tank ?  I have well water and my sidewalks, patio, walls, trees are getting stained badly from the iron in well. Are these products safe for garden , fruit trees , kids? Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:47:02 PM by AlexTrees »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Rustoff and Verdagro
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:45:57 PM »
You're looking for an acid that will prevent the undo the current corrosion of your irrigation tank, but not hurt the plants. Something like sulfuric acid should work well.

In addition, I would consider adding a sacrificial anode to your tank. You can use zinc rods of the type used for water heaters, as long as it comes in direct contact with the metal of the tank itself, and the water. It will also supply this vital micronutrient to your irrigation water, albeit in very small quantity.

Sorry, I just realized that the Iron is coming from the well and not the tank itself.

That is less fortunate and harder to solve. Ideally you would use a phosphate or carbonate to bind the dissolved iron in the water. This means potentially adding a supplemental stream that treats the incoming well water as it is pumped into the tank.

Alternatively you can also raise the pH of the irrigation water, but that will also result in micronutrient deficiency over time depending.

If you're considering those products specifically, there are a couple Saftey Data Sheets to consider.

http://www.sprinklerite.com/uploads/documents/GSX01018_SDS-BSNX104.2.pdf

Was it Goof off or Rost off?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:58:04 PM by Oolie »

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 09:46:05 PM »
Thanks Oolie, I’m sorry I forgot to clarify that I have the tank that feeds to the pump - the previous  owner of house had it installed.  Ive just never added anything into it because I’m afraid I will damage my trees and garden beds which the past owner didn’t have. He just had grass , some palms and shrubs.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 11:32:24 PM »
So just to clarify, is it iron that is dissolved in the well water, or is the source of the iron the tank?

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 12:15:30 AM »
Tank is clean - the water I’m pulling from the well has iron

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 12:40:43 AM »
Well, good with the bad, Iron is often added as a supplemental for those on high pH municipal water systems.

Sounds like the best solution is to switch emitters to a type which only hits the desired surfaces. Any concrete will have rust staining on the surface.