Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620956 times)

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #725 on: August 20, 2013, 03:50:15 PM »
Welcome! That is a wonderful and inspiring list from Canada! I hope to hear more from you. Make a topic and post some pics! I also have avocado, one of my favorite fruit. Is yours grafted? Avocado trees are very popular over here, and most houses have a little tree from store-bought fruit, but almost nobody has a grafted tree, and even I have not grafted mine yet. I like your citrus list! I also have a few, but kumquat is not technically a citrus, but instead a fortunella. Good luck with that babaco!

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 20, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »
Welcome, Canadian Tropics! 

What size are your potted plants, and what can you tell us about your greenhouses?

Canadian Tropics

• Bringing the tropics north one plant at a time...
    • Vancouver, BC Canada; zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 21, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Welcome! That is a wonderful and inspiring list from Canada! I hope to hear more from you. Make a topic and post some pics! I also have avocado, one of my favorite fruit. Is yours grafted? Avocado trees are very popular over here, and most houses have a little tree from store-bought fruit, but almost nobody has a grafted tree, and even I have not grafted mine yet. I like your citrus list! I also have a few, but kumquat is not technically a citrus, but instead a fortunella. Good luck with that babaco!

Sanddollarmoon,
I would have to check the tag on my avocado but it is supposed to be a "cold hardy" Mexican variety and not from store bought fruit - picked it up from a local plant supplier who specializes in cold hardy tropicals.  This one is an experiment and is planted in-ground in a sheltered area......we'll see how it survives our winters.
As for the babaco, we are really excited to see the fruit getting bigger; about a dozen currently on the tree.

Welcome, Canadian Tropics! 

What size are your potted plants, and what can you tell us about your greenhouses?

Triloba Tracker,
My pots ranges from 1 gallons for my seedlings (such as the mangos and cashew - both seed grown) to 5 and 10 gallon depending upon the size of the plant (my seed grown, 7yr old crinum lily is over 5ft tall and won't stop flowering).  I also have a couple of trees in 35 gallon pots but these are all cold hardy varieties that live permanently on my decks and patio - such as the medlar, apricot and yellowhorn
As for my greenhouses, I have three:
1) 6x8ft polycarb where we currently grow melons and "unusual" edibles such as globe artichoke and ground cherries
2) 6x8ft double-walled polycarb that is heated during the winter - this is where the seedlings and tender tropical are kept
3) 16x9.5ft x7.5ft high hoop greenhouse - we decided to cover our vegetable garden so that I can start things earlier and keep them growing longer.  It also allows me to keep hardier but frost tender plants such as the citrus, tropical bananas and some of my palm trees during the winter months
And the plants that do not fit in these locations, or that require extra room or attention (such as the 7ft tall coffee tree and white bird of paradise) come into the house during the colder months.  Speaking of which I noticed the nights temps are down to about 13C (56F) which means I will be starting to move plants next weekend.....fun times    ;D

I will post some pictures soon.....

tonyzt2

• US Southern California, Ventura
    • View Profile
    • Southern California Plant Breeders
« Reply #728 on: August 24, 2013, 12:48:55 AM »
Hi, I'm Tony.

I'm the webmaster for SoCalPlantBreeders.com
I'm also an avid tropical gardner as well.
I currently reside in Ventura California.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 24, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »
Welcome, Tony.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 24, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »
Hi, I'm Tony.

Welcome!  ;D

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #731 on: August 25, 2013, 12:13:19 AM »
Hi Tracker, Sandollarmoon, Tony, and Canadian Tropics.  We have members in Canada, Colorado, New York, and other cold places growing frest tropical fruits in sunlamps and should provide a wealth of information.  I'm in South Florida, so many tropical fruit trees grow here pretty well.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 25, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »
Welcome Tony. You will likely find some interesting information on tropicals you can grow in your area. Hardiness zones change quickly over physically short distances in CA. Are you in USDA 10a?
Richard

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 25, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »
My name is Jeff.  I grew up in Massachusetts but moved to Miami in 2007.  I just moved into a new house and had a baby boy (named Keegan) so I figured a healthy mini-orchard addiction would be perfect!  I have a small lot--maybe 1/5 of an acre....but I intend to make it a densely-packed fruit and veggie paradise.  I love the idea of self-sufficiency at least somewhat living off the land. 

Since I moved in on June 1st of this year, I have planted:

Jackfruit (Crunchy Lemon and Cristela)
Passionfruit (Purple Possum)
Pomegranate (Vietnamese Red)
Papaya (red lady and solo sunrise)
Banana (cavendish, goldfinger, double mahoi, raja pisang, Jamaican Red)
Jaboticaba (red and black)
Acerola/Barbados Cherry
Mulberry (white, everbearing, unknown)
Macadamia Nut (dana white)
Moringa
Caimito (purple and hippolito green)
Coconuts (yellow and green)
Pineapple Guava
Figs (brown Turkey, Black Mission, green one I cut from South beach garden)
Sugar Apple (Na Dai)
Atemoya (Gefner)
Grapes (Alachua, Burgundy Bunch, Noble)
Tropical Guava (Red ruby, Excalibur Variegated)
Soursop (already on-site when I moved)
Ackee
Katuk
carambola/starfruit (Lara)
Peaches (UF sun, Tropic snow)
Loquats (Big Jim, Yehudah)
Avocado (brogdon, oro negro)
Citrus (Persian lime, variegated lemon, meyer lemon improved, red navel, navel, orlando tangelo)
Pitaya/Dragonfruit (Dark star, purple haze, natural mystic, vietnamese jaina)
Blackberry (thornless)
Blueberry (varied--we'll see)
Mammee apple/Abrico
Hog Plum (technically neighbor's tree but hangs over my property)
Sapodilla (alano, Silas woods)

I may have missed some but I think that's it.  Suffice to say, I have "the bug" like many of you.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Harry, Rob, Lisa, Jeff Hagen, squam, sheehan, and others for your mango cultivar reviews as well as many other fruits.  Without you guys, I would've been in the dark and probably got a Tommy atkins and choc-anon--lol

Anyway, I look forward to interacting with you all as time goes on and I try to bring this mini-orchard up to speed.  BTW, what is oolitic limestone?  My soil here is sandy (some parts are always white in color, but most are a light gray--have hear people say it's sugar sand.  I know i can have it tested by UF extension but i like instant gratification.

Let the journey begin!!

~Jeff

Mango (lemon zest, coconut cream, nam doc mai #4, Maha Chanok, mallika, pickering, graham, rosigold, Neelam, fairchild, Glenn, angie,   madame francis (already existing--may graft onto it in later years)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 25, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »
Good collection you have! Congratuations! ;D

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: August 25, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
Nice list gunnar! I am amazed you were able to fit all those in. Do you prune often?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 27, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
Hi All
Im very interested in tropical rare and exotic fruits.
i also like medicinal herbs and just about all edibles (im a vegetarian)
I liveb in the suburbs, but my backyard is full. mainly Papaya trees, but have guava, satsuma
and a few other adult treesd
but mostly i am still in the growing stages for lots of stuff
like Mamey, Baobob , Lychee, opuntia, dragonfruit,  cherimoya etc...  seedlings i have.

i keep a photobucket account of stuff here...
http://s98.photobucket.com/user/911review/library/?sort=3&page=1

I am outside of New Orleans, so it stays warm most of the year
and the winters are pretty mild. -  i think im in zone 10 (maybe 9a ?)
 not sure... i saw 2 different maps
one was hard to read.

i love to trade
and am looking for (especially) Marang/Terap - Cacao and Lucuma
or almost any exotic tropical fruit that will grow here.
(also medicinals)

Brad

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 27, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »
My name is Jeff.  I grew up in Massachusetts but moved to Miami in 2007.  I just moved into a new house and had a baby boy (named Keegan) so I figured a healthy mini-orchard addiction would be perfect!  I have a small lot--maybe 1/5 of an acre....but I intend to make it a densely-packed fruit and veggie paradise.  I love the idea of self-sufficiency at least somewhat living off the land. 

I may have missed some but I think that's it.  Suffice to say, I have "the bug" like many of you.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Harry, Rob, Lisa, Jeff Hagen, squam, sheehan, and others for your mango cultivar reviews as well as many other fruits.  Without you guys, I would've been in the dark and probably got a Tommy atkins and choc-anon--lol

Anyway, I look forward to interacting with you all as time goes on and I try to bring this mini-orchard up to speed.  BTW, what is oolitic limestone?  My soil here is sandy (some parts are always white in color, but most are a light gray--have hear people say it's sugar sand.  I know i can have it tested by UF extension but i like instant gratification.

Let the journey begin!!

~Jeff

Mango (lemon zest, coconut cream, nam doc mai #4, Maha Chanok, mallika, pickering, graham, rosigold, Neelam, fairchild, Glenn, angie,   madame francis (already existing--may graft onto it in later years)

BTW, what is oolitic limestone?

Dig down 8-12-20 inches. Do you you see chucks of old coral with embedded seashells which is the oolitic limestone?  Most likely you do not because you are close to ocean where Broward County was developed years ago by more modest means that what I have in Western Broward. Jeff(cookie monster) has the same problem I do. Our Western suburbs were dug up, drained, developed ~37 years ago by large earth moving equipment. Drainage canals were dug out, this soil+limestone was heaped up onto the land for the new subdivisions, and in the process the natural ancient soil profile was inverted. Leaving us with hi-ph soil with lots of oolitic if you dig down a bit. When you dig past the ~8" of topsoil that was graded onto the suburban development for St Augustine lawn grass to root into and thrive

So for me I have had my citrus trees do great until they start rooting downward into the lower hi-ph oolitic layers
Mangoes, avocados and others are not so affected by this hi-ph soil
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:57:01 AM by zands »

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 27, 2013, 01:38:42 PM »
Hi All
Im very interested in tropical rare and exotic fruits.
i also like medicinal herbs and just about all edibles (im a vegetarian)
I liveb in the suburbs, but my backyard is full. mainly Papaya trees, but have guava, satsuma
and a few other adult treesd
but mostly i am still in the growing stages for lots of stuff
like Mamey, Baobob , Lychee, opuntia, dragonfruit,  cherimoya etc...  seedlings i have.

i keep a photobucket account of stuff here...
http://s98.photobucket.com/user/911review/library/?sort=3&page=1

I am outside of New Orleans, so it stays warm most of the year
and the winters are pretty mild. -  i think im in zone 10 (maybe 9a ?)
 not sure... i saw 2 different maps
one was hard to read.

i love to trade
and am looking for (especially) Marang/Terap - Cacao and Lucuma
or almost any exotic tropical fruit that will grow here.
(also medicinals)

Brad

Welcome to the forum Brad. Took a quick look at your photo bucket and wow , your papaya's look nice. If you're truly in zone 9 and they can survive fine like that, maybe my little tr hovey papaya, will make it this winter and hopefully fruit next spring/summer.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 31, 2013, 12:16:44 AM »

« Reply #746 on: August 25, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »

Nice list gunnar! I am amazed you were able to fit all those in. Do you prune often?

I plan on pruning intensively...as i have seen from dave wilson nursery online.  Pepe also has some info on mini-grove culture on his site.  Not much pruning yet because things are just starting to take off.  I have planted a few multi-trees in one hole and pruned them accordingly upon planting so they wouldn't shade each other out. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 31, 2013, 12:19:21 AM »
I plan on pruning intensively...as i have seen from dave wilson nursery online.  Pepe also has some info on mini-grove culture on his site.  Not much pruning yet because things are just starting to take off.  I have planted a few multi-trees in one hole and pruned them accordingly upon planting so they wouldn't shade each other out.

Good luck! I am new to pruning, but it has helped many of my plants greatly (avocado, cherimoya).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:23:20 PM by Sanddollarmoon »

MiniChopper4Me

• Miami Beach, FL Zone 10-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 31, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »
lol, You are psychic!

Hello everyone, my name is Charlie and I live in Miami Beach FL.  I've taken up gardening because of the challenge, and the rewards are truly delicious :P

I'm currently living on a building right on the beach on the second floor, and have a corral on the roof that I'm using as a "full sun" growing area.  I'm into R/C, hence my username, and am a computer person for a living.  I of course stumbled across this website while looking for some common answers to what are probably easy questions, but being new to the "greenthumb" area, the answers weren't obvious to me.

Charlie

MiniChopper4Me

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 31, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
I'm trying to grow a bunch of stuff on the roof and my balcony, and am looking for any and all general advice so I guess I should make a post about my stuff?

Charlie

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 31, 2013, 12:30:19 PM »

MiniChopper4Me

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 31, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »

Macroman

• USA,CA,9
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 01, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »
Old Alchemist from Canada who married someone from Brunei, nearly 30 years ago.  We currently live in California so are growing citrus, avocado and a couple of Paw Paw.  We have a small farm in AL.  I'm interested in PAW PAW as we need to take the tropical favors north.   

BKaus

• USA, AZ, Phoenix, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 05, 2013, 04:29:44 PM »
Hi Everyone,

The tropical fruit bug infection me. It got kindled when my son was showing some interest in gardening and dug up the old garden bed (that went unused for 12 years) and wanted to grow some peppers, strawberries, and tropical’s. Then to add fuel to the fire in July of 2012 we when to the AZFRG meeting in Phoenix, AZ and walked away with 3 loquat seedlings, a fig tree, banana plant, and sugar cane plant. This started a mad rush to collect as many tropical plants that could possibly grow and fruit in Phoenix, AZ. The collection as grown to many plants with most of them in containers for the sake of moving them around winters cold and summer heat. Currently in the process of sorting out what will survive planted in my yard without any protection from winters frost. Looking for info on best practice on growing Tropical fruit trees in container, soil mixes, fertilizer types application, container size, and plant types best for containers. Just about any info that will make container growing fruitful! I’ve spend many hours buying plants, planting seeds, and looking for info on the net also attended classes at the county extension office and club meetings for this information but still looking for more info to increase my success.

Bruce
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:32:15 PM by BKaus »
The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 06, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »
Old Alchemist from Canada who married someone from Brunei, nearly 30 years ago.  We currently live in California so are growing citrus, avocado and a couple of Paw Paw.  We have a small farm in AL.  I'm interested in PAW PAW as we need to take the tropical favors north.   

Welcome to this forum! Do you travel from time to time to Brunei? Must be an awesome place, specially for fruit fanatics  ::)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 07, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »
Hello,

My name Moh'd and I'm from Dubai, UAE. I started this hobby when I was 12 years old . My first grow was a mango that was bought from a supermarket. Right know, I 'm growing over 20 different types of fruits from all over the world (most of them are not available here). I got Genip, Mammea Americana , 5 types of Garcinia , 6 types of Eugenia , Eggfruit , Jackfruit , mango , Malay Apple , Rose apple and More.

Mohd
Moh'd

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 07, 2013, 04:44:17 PM »
Hello,

My name Moh'd and I'm from Dubai, UAE. I started this hobby when I was 12 years old . My first grow was a mango that was bought from a supermarket. Right know, I 'm growing over 20 different types of fruits from all over the world (most of them are not available here). I got Genip, Mammea Americana , 5 types of Garcinia , 6 types of Eugenia , Eggfruit , Jackfruit , mango , Malay Apple , Rose apple and More.

Mohd

Hello!

Just wondering, how do such plants fare in your arid climate?