Author Topic: 'Sweet Song' Lychee  (Read 2523 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
'Sweet Song' Lychee
« on: April 13, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
Just picked up a 'Sweet Song' Lychee from Wayne Clinton's place along with a bunch of other cool plants.  He was super nice and talked plants with me for longer than he should have. 

Anyone else growing this one or tried it?  I can't find anything online. 

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 'Sweet Song' Lychee
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:36:44 PM »
I wonder if it's Sweetheart. Sweetheart is trademarked so any air layers cannot be named as such as far as I am aware. It could very well be a completely different variety or a seedling as well.

Simon

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 10:41:10 PM »
This is a seedling that a Lychee collector named LG Allen (I could be spelling the name wrong) from the Bradenton area fruited. LG passed away before I started growing and becoming active in the local clubs. My older fruit buddies all knew him well though. The story I was told is that he planted the seed from his favorite lychee he ate in China and it took the seedling 20 years to fruit. I believe Wayne just started propagating this recently and the original tree is dead. Wayne has one or two mature trees at his place. A close friend of mine just put 3 in the ground within the past 6 months and actually named his local fruit distribution company after it. I have one in a 7 gal. I will actively try to sample some fruit this year if Wayne gets a decent crop. You wont find anything on the internet about it. Wayne has one of the few if not the only mature trees of this.
-Josh

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »
Anyone have a link to the nursery's website or contact info?

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 11:07:07 PM »
Wayne Clifton - katway@outlook.com

I picked up a 7 gal  Sweet Song lychee while I was there today.  He doesn't ship, but will let you come by and pick up.  He will also be at the Manatee Rare Fruit Council plant sale coming up. 

I also picked up Pitangatuba, Zill's Black (original) Suriname Cherry, Fruit Punch mango, Ice cream mango,  2x Dream Cherimoya and Makok Sapodilla.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:57:05 PM by SonnyCrockett »

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
Wayne Clifton - katway@outlook.com.  He will also be at the Sarasota rare fruit growers plant sale coming up. 

The tree sale where Wayne (and many other fruit tree vendors) will be is the Manatee Rare Fruit Council tree sale on Sunday May 21st. More info at http://www.mrfc.org/p/fruit-tree-sale.html

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 06:11:05 PM »
 give you the information that I know about ‘Sweet Song’ litchi. I see on the forums that Josh gave some of the info and I will try and fill in the rest and answer your questions.

Indeed, this is a seedling tree from the late L.G. Allen, a dear friend of mine. He was an expert on litchi and had a fantastic collection in his yard in Bradenton. He told me that the tree had not fruited for 28 years from seed. This is probably an exaggeration because L.G. was very old when he told me this and did not live much longer after I received this information. His mind was not as sharp as it had been when I first met him at our club many years before.

He told me he wanted me to air-layer the tree to keep it going because he was going to sell his house and move to Colorado and live with his daughter. I air-layered the tree and removed it from the tree when it was ready. He allowed me only one air-layer. He said the he ate the fruit of this tree when he was in China and knew the Chinese name which was ‘Sweet Song’. I’ve looked extensively for this name in literature and various books on litchi but could never find it. L.G. was good at keeping secrets and he might have made up the name, I don’t know. But he assured me that was the name he would call it and that would be the name it would always go by. He loved the Chinese people with all his heart, especially the women. J He thought they were the most beautiful on earth. He said he would love to go back to China and eat the fruit off the ‘Sweet Song’ litchi that he had before but he never got the chance.

I ate the fruit from his tree just before he moved and passed away in Colorado and It was very special. A little like Mauritius but much better with more spice and flavor. It has a larger seed than ‘Sweetheart’ but bigger with much more flesh so it’s a good “trade off”. Also, after it fruited in a pot at my house, it fruited every year after that. I put it in the ground where it’s been for 18 years or so.

An Asian fellow came to my house many years ago when it was still in the pot and he tasted the fruit. I won’t tell you how much he offered me for the tree, but it was substantial. I told him I couldn’t sell it because it was the only one. The one at L.G.’s house had been dug up and moved when it was sold but it didn’t survive the move. So, I think I’m the only one who has it, other than those who purchased it from me. I asked the Asian man, who was Chinese, if he knew this litchi and he said he did. I asked him if it was called ‘Sweet Song’ in China. He only smiled and wouldn’t tell me. I don’t know why. Anyway, that’s what L.G. named it so that name has stuck.

It’s covered with fruit as I’m writing this and I can’t wait to have some again and remember my friend, L.G. Allen. I’m sure he is smiling down and waiting for his fruit to ripen, as well.

I hope this answers your questions.

Wayne

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 06:11:45 PM »
that's what I got when I asked for more info :)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 09:11:41 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knew what it tasted like.  Does it have that medicinal taste?

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 11:46:02 AM »
Any Sweet Song owners get fruit this year?
Michael