Author Topic: Looking for Pomelo, Pommelo scion for bud grafts.  (Read 1276 times)

Stimey4674

• US Michigan
    • View Profile
Looking for Pomelo, Pommelo scion for bud grafts.
« on: March 02, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »
Hey everyone, I planted a Pommelo seed last year and its sprouted into a very nice healthy little seedling.  I live in Michigan and will be keeping the tree potted and taking it in and out during the seasons. The Pommelo I took the seed from was delicious. I would love for this tree one day to fruit something that great but I dont want to take a chance on waiting years without it ever fruiting.  I'd like to graft a bud on to this tree to make sure I get fruit at some point.  Does anyone have a great tasting, juicy sweet Pommelo that I can graft onto this tree?  I have a Libson and a Meyer Lemon tree I can trade scion from.  Thanks in advance.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Pomelo, Pommelo scion for bud grafts.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 02:33:54 AM »
Yeah, it won't grow true to seed. I had a pummelo seedling from a good fruit that grew bitter fruits. Had to bud from the tree next to it to produce better fruits. I'm in a quarantine zone though so don't want to risk spreading anything to you.

I recently learned that Vietnamese pummelo and Chinese pummelo are probably the same thing, but called differently depending on who the nursery caters to. The fruits are pear-shaped yellow with a neck and is low acid with thick membranes.

Stimey4674

• US Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 12:06:49 PM »
How long did your seedling take to fruit?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 01:57:12 PM »
How long did your seedling take to fruit?
About 4 years. Once we knew the fruits were no good we grafted it. There might be some negative rootstock interaction because the fruits are more prone to cracking than the budwood donor tree right next to it. The fruits are bigger though.