Author Topic: The Purge: Mango Pruning  (Read 1105 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
The Purge: Mango Pruning
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:18:59 AM »
The less-fun part of mango season - battling spiders, ants, and the occasional snake to hack back at mango trees in the 100 degree heat. 4 trees pruned today including the below Glenn that I brought back to around 9 feet or so. The addition of a battery-powered pole saw this year has made getting to awkward center branches a lot easier, but not a fun job by any means. I think my shirt weighed 8lbs of sweat when I came in. Only 10 or so more mango trees to go. If all goes well I'll get some kind of Marvel super power with all the spider and ant bites.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: The Purge: Mango Pruning
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 11:58:33 AM »
Yep. That's why compact mango trees are sought after.

The less-fun part of mango season - battling spiders, ants, and the occasional snake to hack back at mango trees in the 100 degree heat. 4 trees pruned today including the below Glenn that I brought back to around 9 feet or so. The addition of a battery-powered pole saw this year has made getting to awkward center branches a lot easier, but not a fun job by any means. I think my shirt weighed 8lbs of sweat when I came in. Only 10 or so more mango trees to go. If all goes well I'll get some kind of Marvel super power with all the spider and ant bites.

Jeff  :-)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »

On the upside....at least you can get hundreds of mangos per tree every year.
I would love to have a yard like yours.
We (Socal) are lucky to even get 25 on any tree in the past couple of years (drought, heatwaves).
Also, it's good exercise...I could lose a few pounds myself...lol

Warren

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
Nice trim job, yeah, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I can’t wait to for the day that I will complain about having to trim my huge Mango tree but when that day comes, and it will, I’m sure I’ll be cursing at myself wondering why I ever wished this upon myself.

Simon

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »
Nice work! Keeping my trees at 6' while challenging for other reasons, does mean that pruning is still fun.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 02:44:51 PM »
Nice trim job, yeah, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

Ain't that the truth. The 3-acre house we've been eyeing for years recently sold and we were somewhat saddened when it happened. Now I walk around my .4 acre yard and wonder how the hell I would ever take care of so much property since I can barely keep up after our... I dunno... 50 or so trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk