Author Topic: Wind-resistant shade house design  (Read 1789 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Wind-resistant shade house design
« on: December 25, 2017, 04:56:17 PM »
I need to build a shade house for tree and garden plant propagation. My needs are not too big, and about 800 square feet would probably be about right. The site is subject to hurricane and so I'd like to know if anyone has experience with a design that has proven to be resistant to wind. This isn't for frost protection, overhead sprinkler would be adequate for occasional use in my climate (Southwest Florida). I need rodent protection designed in.

Anyone with ideas or experience I'd appreciate it.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: Wind-resistant shade house design
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 05:50:14 PM »
Steel or aluminum frame with shade cloth that can be removed and with poly panels? You could design it to disassemble the whole thing as well and just use PVC with wingnuts. If you want to build a hurricane and rodent/pest resistant fortress and never disassemble then probabaly concrete/brick would be involved. Excelsa gardens is constructing a nice one right now, you may want to contact them.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »
You could copy my hoop house design and use shade cloth instead of plastic.  It will take the wind and keep animals out.  Theres a thread called hoop house with photos down the page.
Brad Spaugh

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:09:23 AM »
I sink logs of about 10 feet 3 to 4 feet into the ground.  Then nail the left over piping from greenhouse along top and sides and wire on shade cloth.  If done tight and snug we have these at least 5 years, also with hurricane weather here.  It's not fancy but if shade is all you need, works great, cheap and in my opinion more aesthetically pleasing with the natural wood look.

In my experience aluminum is horrible in extreme storm regions.  I avoid it.

Annonaceae

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
Depending on the main wind direction, and your temperatures I would cement in steel posts and put thick polycarbonate panels and brace them also, make sure they can be opened for ventilation on your windiest side of the shade house if needed on non windy days.

Regarding rodents.....dig down probably half a foot and lay rodent proof wire (bury it) and bend it up so it connects to the shade house metal frame and goes up the sides probably a foot.

Not a cheap way but hey if you want it done right then go for it.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 10:19:22 AM »
Nothing tougher and more wind resistant than a steel frame and polycarbonate covering.  Aint cheap though.

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 12:56:04 AM »
Possibly something that is placed below ground level, ie digging a square hole and placing said greenhouse inside, adjusting a slope/walkway one either or both sides to access the doors. Can't go wrong with dual polycarbonates and treated wood/steel.
Jackson

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 08:17:04 PM »
Thanks very much for your advice, folks. Polycarbonate isn't needed in my climate (similar zone to Miami), only occasional frost protection which can be done with water sprinklers. This isn't for growing out anything, just for propagation.

I am settling on a hoop house using galvanized cattle panels with 4" wide poured concrete footer, just covered by shade cloth, door on one end, overhead sprinklers.