Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528969 times)

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #700 on: October 10, 2015, 05:32:56 PM »
Is sap oozing from the trunk and branches normal? or is it a sign of a disease or over watering?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 11, 2015, 10:25:25 AM »
Is sap oozing from the trunk and branches normal? or is it a sign of a disease or over watering?

Please post pictures.  We would have to see what you are referring to before providing any type of diagnosis.
- Rob

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 11, 2015, 06:21:05 PM »
Sorry for the lack of pictures. Here's two of my trees showing a little bit of sap oozing out of the main trunk. This started in the middle of summer. The trees are growing fine. Flushing new leaves right now too.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 11, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »
What varieties are they?

From exterior sight, looks similar to gummosis.  There are some other diseases that can cause this.  Do any of the limbs have any die back?
- Rob

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 11, 2015, 09:26:42 PM »
one is Lemon zest and the other is coconut cream. No die back from both trees yet. How can it be treated?

Will spraying copper fungicide on the oozing area be enough?  Or should i spray the entire tree?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:22:52 PM by raimeiken »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: October 11, 2015, 11:15:16 PM »
It does look kind of serious--- probably a bacterial infection..  I suggest trying Copper spray on the bark(wear eye protection), alternated with Potassium Phosphite (such as Foliar Phosphite, K-Phite, Plant Doctor), each once a month, through early Spring.

If the oozing still occurs next Spring or Summer, give up on the friendly stuff, and use one or more conventional systemic fungicides / bactericides, and remove all fruit as they appear.
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 12, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
Last year, there were a few locations where PPK/Lemon Meringue trees had a bleeding sap issues on more mature trees.  These trees had a good amount of bleeding and some exhibited dieback and massive leaf drop on certain limbs.  On one tree in Broward County, samples were cut and sent to TREC in Miami for analysis (I have pictures of the cut samples should anyone want to see them).  Below you will find the report.

They also recommended applications of MycoStim and Exel LG Foliar Fertilizer.

In another location in Palm Beach County, the tree was sprayed with fungicide and fertilized and otherwise let be, it came back and flushed and did not have any further detrimental damage.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:00:55 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 12, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
Could this also be the result of an injury at the bleed site, for example, sun burn or delayed response to cold damage?
Jeff  :-)

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 12, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys! It helps a lot. I'll try spraying them with some copper fungicide that I have and continue my foliar feeding. I hope they recover from this. After reading that report, it doesn't seem promising since they recommend pruning instead of fungicides. I can't really cut back my trees at those points on where they're bleeding from since those are the main trunk/stems.

Should I scrape the sap off the trunks and then spray with fungicide? Or should i leave the sap on the trees?

I think what caused this is from the stress of high temperatures since we had some pretty hot weeks this past summer. Over 115f days on end.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 12, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
bsbullie, thank you for that report!

I have seen this on one side of a 'Haden' mango in Jupiter.   The stress was provided by a strong strap that was used to right the tree after Hurricane Wilma, and left there until it had almost entirely girdled the main trunk.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:04:55 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

Mangofique

• world-wide
    • View Profile
Re: Black spot or not?
« Reply #710 on: October 28, 2015, 07:08:52 AM »
dear all,

I recently received pictures of a consignment of mango showing these symptoms. While my initial reaction was bacterial spot, I am wondering if this was more fungal in origin.

does anyone have any ideas?

regards,
Mp.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 28, 2015, 07:16:21 AM »
dear all,

I recently received pictures of a consignment of mango showing these symptoms. While my initial reaction was bacterial spot, I am wondering if this was more fungal in origin.

regards,
Mp.

Where were the mangoes grown and what variety?   Is there any damage to the tree/leaves?  It doesn't look like the damage goes that deep i to the fruit.  Bacterial Blac Spot will caise open lesions, oozing from the lesions and the damage will go deep into the flesh. 
- Rob

Mangofique

• world-wide
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 28, 2015, 07:47:38 AM »
hi,

Thank you for the reply.... This is Egyptian Keitt, and sea freighted into Europe.

I am not sure about the field that this was grown in, as we are only seeing the harvested fruit. As this fruit ripens these lesions do tend to create decay further into the flesh.

regards,
MP

dear all,

regards,
Mp.

Where were the mangoes grown and what variety?   Is there any damage to the tree/leaves?  It doesn't look like the damage goes that deep i to the fruit.  Bacterial Blac Spot will caise open lesions, oozing from the lesions and the damage will go deep into the flesh.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 28, 2015, 07:52:16 AM »
With Bacterial Black Spot, the damage occurs while fruit is on the tree.  In another thread, i pisted an excellent publication on Bacterial Black Spot that explains it and has detailed pictures.   I have also seen it first hsnd here in Florida.   It us very contagious,  even after fruit is harvested.  If you do a search you should be able to find my post.
- Rob

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 30, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »
I might have just figured out the problem with my mango trees. Quite a bit of the new leaves that have been flushing are very deformed, stunted, and just the wrong color. All of that including the oozing sap that I posted above a few weeks ago. So I searched on google and found that Boron deficiency causes this to mango trees and so does gummosis!

Here's a snippet from the source:

https://books.google.com/books?id=oloEhPYqE8QC&pg=PA423&lpg=PA423&dq=boron+deficient+mango&source=bl&ots=no_0smVQ4Z&sig=yhsD_UtMlDYGUwKz1fYtipl2dtY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CGYQ6AEwC2oVChMIh_v81J7ryAIVVuZjCh1O3ARH#v=onepage&q=boron%20deficient%20mango&f=false

It's too bad that's all there is available in that preview of that book on the subject, it gets cut off at the bottom there.

So how does one remedy boron deficiency? is there a product you guys use for this?

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 31, 2015, 03:05:44 AM »
So how does one remedy boron deficiency? is there a product you guys use for this

You can sprinkle some borax around the dripline of the tree and then water it in. Be careful though not to use too much because then you will be dealing with B toxicity. Roach killing powders are usually made of Borax. You can find them at a dollar store around here!  8)

E.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 31, 2015, 06:23:04 AM »
So how does one remedy boron deficiency? is there a product you guys use for this

You can sprinkle some borax around the dripline of the tree and then water it in. Be careful though not to use too much because then you will be dealing with B toxicity. Roach killing powders are usually made of Borax. You can find them at a dollar store around here!  8)

E.

No, do not recommend this.  Using a quality Palm fertilizer and if need be supplement with a liquid minor boost and you should have what you need in terms of boron.  Nutrient deficiency is the problem when using all purpose or fertilizers just not meant for the growing conditions.
- Rob

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 31, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »

E.

No, do not recommend this.  Using a quality Palm fertilizer and if need be supplement with a liquid minor boost and you should have what you need in terms of boron.  Nutrient deficiency is the problem when using all purpose or fertilizers just not meant for the growing conditions.

yeah I'm not going to mess with Borax. I've been using Espoma's Citrus-tone on my mangoes and also Southern AG's Citrus nutritional spray, which both apparently do not have boron. I found another product by Southern AG that I'll use next time.

It's called 'Essential Minor Elements' in granular form and CONTAINS: Magnesium 8%, Manganese 2%, Iron 5%, Sulfur 8%, Copper .25%, Zinc 0.5%, Boron .03%.

Do you think I should wait until spring to apply it in the soil?

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 31, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »
does anyone know what's going on with this lancetilla? the leaf edges are drying and the new leaves are curled and stunted. i want to hit it with a foliar, but want to check here first.

oneliahz@aol.com

• KISSIMMEE FLORIDA. USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 07, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »
Good morning everyone my name is onelia, i m loosing the battle with my mango trees, i have a jullie mango and each leave has lots of tiny black dots on it. i have spray with copper almost every week. nothing changes as a new leaves comes out it gets dost right away. please help me

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #720 on: January 07, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »
Good morning everyone my name is onelia, i m loosing the battle with my mango trees, i have a jullie mango and each leave has lots of tiny black dots on it. i have spray with copper almost every week. nothing changes as a new leaves comes out it gets dost right away. please help me

Reace it with a Juliette if you want the Julie flavor and characteristics.   Julies are known to be problem childs in the State of Florida.   I also would not want to be spraying my tree every week with copper.
- Rob

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 26, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
Please help this sickness is appearing on my Pineaple Pleasure and Pimsanemun any idea how to get rid of?

El verde es vida!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 26, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »
Please help this sickness is appearing on my Pineaple Pleasure and Pimsanemun any idea how to get rid of?

No, not Pineapple Pleasure!!!  :o :(  That mango rocks.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 26, 2016, 03:39:39 PM »

Reace it with a Juliette if you want the Julie flavor and characteristics.   Julies are known to be problem childs in the State of Florida.   I also would not want to be spraying my tree every week with copper.

I'm getting the exact same issue with my potted Glenn as Onelia, it's been trying to send new growth for several months and they all get this spotting and shrivel and fall.
Anthracnose?

By the way anyone wants to take this Glenn and Mallika  (in the background) off my hands message me. The Mallika is full of scale. .I have a pretty small yard and there are just no sunny spots left, maybe that's why these two are struggling, so they gotta go but I'll rather see if someone wants them before making them mulch.  They're gonna need some TLC...but both have fruited well before especially the Glenn which has produced at least a dozen or so fruits every year for the past 4. Both around 6 ft high and wide, the Glenn's been trimmed back several times.....

always longing for a JA Julie

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 23, 2016, 02:03:50 PM »
can anyone help me diagnose this problem? the panicles on my rosigold are all wilted including old and new growth. it flowered while in the ground and was growing healthy and everything wilted overnight. we had 30 mph winds the other night and temperatures in the upper 40s. it also rained before the temperature drop. i really don't know what to do to bring it back to life.