Author Topic: Wanted: Obscure Edible Solanaceae  (Read 2156 times)

Goat

• Zone 5
    • View Profile
Wanted: Obscure Edible Solanaceae
« on: August 16, 2019, 11:22:52 PM »
As a hobby I enjoy tasting some of the more obscure Solanaceaes. So far I've tried two varieties of Physalis Peruviana (Cape Gooseberry) and Solanum sisymbriifolium (Litchi Tomato), obviously along with most of the more common culinary solanaceae.

This year I plan on attempting to grow a sweet variety of Physalis Ixocarpa ("purple" tomatillo), Solanum nigrum (Black Nightshade), and the japanese Physaliastrum chamaesarachoides (no common name). Does anyone have any other seeds or know where I can buy/trade for other obscure edible Solanaceae seeds?

Not really interested in tomatoes, peppers, or eggplants (unless they are really out of this world). Thank you!

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Obscure Edible Solanaceae
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 06:18:59 PM »
There are 3 types of small solanum fruits here in the South Eastern USA at least. Solanum nigrum being one of them. I have seeds from wild solanums that grow seasonally in my area. It could be S. nigrum or americanum. The other variety escapes my memory at the moment but they possibly could be that too. However they are fair sized fruiting plants compared to many I've seen in my state and are better than average in size than many wild plants I've observed. Will send you seeds if you like. There are many solanum family plants with possibly worthy of cultivating worldwide. I looked into lots of species awhile back. Fairdinkumseeds in Australia was searching out solanum species in the past maybe he can turn you on to some cool species or at least point you toward finding some.
Trying to grow it all!

Goat

• Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 10:15:05 PM »
Thank you for the offer of the seeds, though I'll have to pass, I don't have the courage to try any that aren't known to be non toxic, especially because I've heard that toxic alkaloid content can vary from plant to plant even within the species.  :o

Thanks for the pointer to fairdinkumseeds, I'll check it out.

Goat

• Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 10:15:46 PM »
-double post, my apologies-

Goat

• Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 05:20:18 PM »
From my reading it seems some varieties of this plant are more toxic than others, have you eaten them?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 11:37:17 PM »
I recommend Solanum opacum it fruits fast and small and the fruit is quite tasty. I also have a solanum nigrum selection I made with large fruit with good flavor, the Los Angeles rats actually helped spread this one
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 12:25:29 AM »
Their all edible once... ;D

Tradewindsfruit.com, fruitlovers.com, Seedman.com, Rarepalmseeds.com, chileflora.com, toptropicals.com, https://www.sunshine-seeds.de/index.php?language=en

Here are a few that do occasionally...Tradewinds has a bunch of rare to see species at the moment that are fresh.

R,
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 03:09:35 AM »
I have tree tomato, Cyphomandra betacea, baquicha Solanum stramonifolium (thornless type), and usually have tzimbalo Solanum caripense, but of those right now
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 06:52:23 AM »
From my reading it seems some varieties of this plant are more toxic than others, have you eaten them?

uvita de campo, salpichroa origanifolia, is not toxic

Goat

• Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 09:30:08 AM »
uvita de campo, salpichroa origanifolia, is not toxic

In that case I'd love to have a few seeds of those, To trade I have seeds from a very prolific Physalis Pruinosa as well as Physalis Peruviana and Solanum Sisymbriifolium.

I have tree tomato, Cyphomandra betacea, baquicha Solanum stramonifolium (thornless type), and usually have tzimbalo Solanum caripense, but of those right now

Very interested in the Baquicha  :D same seeds as above. Let me know if you'd like any.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »
Goat ID be interested in buying or trading something for some of your physalis seeds especially the peruviana. How's the other physalis and Solanum Sisymbriifolium in flavor and production?
Trying to grow it all!

Goat

• Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 01:40:35 PM »
Goat ID be interested in buying or trading something for some of your physalis seeds especially the peruviana. How's the other physalis and Solanum Sisymbriifolium in flavor and production?

The P. Pruinosa is easy to grow, fruits are about the size of a dime but quite sweet. Likes to spread out though. No problems with pests or disease whatsoever here in the Midwest at least.

S. Sisymbriifolium is is similarly easy to grow, fruit is varies between dime size and quarter size. Flavor is unique. Imagine tomatoes mixed with watermelon. Flavor on mine was fairly mild but I believe that is due to the very hot weather we've had.

Unfortunately I don't have any info on the particular P. Peruviana seeds I have as I bought them at a local farmers market and have yet to attempt growing them. I assume they will be most similar to P. Pruinosa except with larger fruit.

If you have any out of the ordinary annual fruits or vegetables I'm interested in trading.

Goat

• Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 11:33:39 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find seeds for Solanum alternatopinnatum AKA Juciri/Juquiri? They are endemic to Brazil and the only place I can find them for sale is on this Brazilian auction, the seller will not ship to USA so I'm kinda bummed about that.

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-821648772-semente-de-jiquiri-_JM?quantity=1