Author Topic: Soil has white residue is it safe to plant?  (Read 3279 times)

smartdriver

• East Los Angeles/ Alhambra, CA 10A
    • View Profile
Soil has white residue is it safe to plant?
« on: June 07, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »
 Hi I am a new member thank you for  this is great forum.  I’m happy to be a member.
 I Recently Am  preparing my backyard after many years of junk  stored in the back.  But my soil has never been the greatest for growing,  but now I am preparing the back and I was digging the dirt that’s  extra dry and crusty and  discovered a part of the area has some white residue.  I am trying to remove all leaves the top two inch of the soil.
Can you please help me determine if it will be safe to plant my Logan thr can you please help me determine if it will be safe to plant my Logan tree? 
 If not can I plant other things like bamboo ( Oldhamii) or flowers like perennials(but my main goal is to plant veggie/fruit?

Any help is very appreciated Thank you so much.
-D

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:58:47 PM by smartdriver »

vincenton

• US, West Covina CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Soil has white residue is it safe to plant?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »
Hello,

Those looks like mycorrhiza to me, they are good for fruit tree and plants. Welcome to the forum.

Vincent.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:04:33 PM by vincenton »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 03:46:16 PM »
My thought was that it was fungal, and therefore not an issue, but not sure.

Not sure I would recommend bamboo there. It cold potentially cause the brick wall to crack as the clump gets bigger.

I would probably be considering something small and bushy, like a eugenia. I'm used to longan trees wanting a good bit of space... but I'm not in socal.
Jeff  :-)

smartdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »
Thank you for the answers.

The soil there was covered with a plastic sheet for about 10 years.
Can it still be left over mycorrhiza or fungi?

I want to grow bamboo so I can create shade for my 2nd story building, dang it. Didn’t want to wait 10-20 years lol. Sigh! I make have to take a chance to grow bamboo unless I can get  another recommendation. I am currently waiting for the sun to set to the west so I can tell how tall a plant is needed to save me from the scorexous sun in 2-3 years time.

It looks like spider webbing at first glance  or dry snail slime, but I don’t see sign of any of those insects.
When I was digging, there was a root about 12” in length but was about 4 inches below ground, and I didn’t dig further to see where it’s coming because the neighbor side is all concrete.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:06:27 PM by smartdriver »

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 04:50:55 PM »
You can grow Passiflora Edulis. You will have full shade by the end of the summer if you plant it in some good fertile soil.
It will easily do 7-8 meters in every direction even the first year if properly irrigated and fertilized..

smartdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 05:25:56 PM »
Passion fruit? Looks like vines? I will need to build something for it to climb? Seems like grape vines.

I just notice you all have zone next to your screen names, can someone tell me, am I in zone 10a or 10b? Or is it 11a?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:34:22 PM by smartdriver »

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 05:37:08 PM »
Passion fruit? Looks like vines? I will need to build something for it to climb? Seems like grape vines.

I just notice you all have zone next to your screen names, can someone tell me, am I in zone 10a or 10b? Or is it 11a?

Alhambra is in USDA zone 10a.
Warren

vincenton

• US, West Covina CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 05:39:38 PM »
You can check your zone by going to this site.

https://morningchores.com/planting-zones/

Vincent.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 06:45:24 PM »
If you want bamboo, you can go with a clumping bamboo rather than a spreading one.  Clumpers aren't invasive, so long as you give them a proper amount of space.

Even if you go with a spreading bamboo, it's possible to constrain them.  The biggest key is that they're shallow rooted, and the roots stop spreading when they hit air.  So you can constrain spreading with a trench.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

smartdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 06:54:52 PM »
You can grow Passiflora Edulis. You will have full shade by the end of the summer if you plant it in some good fertile soil.
It will easily do 7-8 meters in every direction even the first year if properly irrigated and fertilized..

I'm watching you tube for some idea of how the plants grows, actually I was looking for a vine plant to use as privacy, so thank you for this idea as another option. But I can't think of a way to shade the 2nd floor.

Should I buy it from Lowes? Is there a variety I should be looking for, what's your recommendation?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:04:32 PM by smartdriver »

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 10:13:42 PM »
If you want privacy, bamboo is great, and the leaves make great compost, the timber gives you materials, and you have food from the shoots if you pick an edible kind.

Many edible kinds are small as well, I have one kind can be eaten raw, it is spindly and bush and maxes out at about 20 feet, very slow growing. "Bong Waan Sai Nampeung"

Another kind maxes out about 30 feet, nice looking timber, relatively fast growing. "Gim Ju"

Some other kinds get to 100 feet and provide huge edible shoots, but so far these rot out at my house during floods, likely for the better these are so huge.

I think most people go wrong when trying to maintain bamboo when they cut it to a stump, proper maintenance of bamboo is cutting below the dirt, cutting the entire shoot off, if you have edible bamboo you will be doing this anyways, so maintenance and food come hand in hand.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 12:31:36 AM »
Longan should do fine in Alhambra, as should Lychee and many other subtropicals, though given your summer heat you will need to water them a fair bit.

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 02:13:31 AM »

I'm watching you tube for some idea of how the plants grows, actually I was looking for a vine plant to use as privacy, so thank you for this idea as another option. But I can't think of a way to shade the 2nd floor.

Should I buy it from Lowes? Is there a variety I should be looking for, what's your recommendation?

I don't know what is available in USA. I often hear about edulis frederick. In Italy we have Edulis Colvilli that produce big fruits.
You can use big poles and wires in the middle to sustain them. You could use also some wire from the house to a pole in the garden and create a sort of diagonal roof.
You could also use a fast growing tree and let it climb there.
You can get some ideas here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4woqw1zicfk

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 03:23:53 AM »
passionfruit has some good tendrils they can attach themselves and climb much better than beans and other vines, direct them towards the top of the trellis and they will do the rest themselves.  Gac is just as fast growing, if not more, tendrils much the same, give them some direction they will fill in the rest themselves.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 11:22:26 AM »
I am currently waiting for the sun to set to the west so I can tell how tall a plant is needed to save me from the scorexous sun in 2-3 years time
Remember sun angle and direction varies through the year. This is a handy calculator which uses GPS coordinates to visually show you where a shadow will lie at any location on earth any time of day. It also animates to show how shadows travel through a day. Very cool and very useful if you play around with it.

https://www.suncalc.org/#/40.1789,-3.5156,3/2018.06.08/11:19/1/2

smartdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »
I am currently waiting for the sun to set to the west so I can tell how tall a plant is needed to save me from the scorexous sun in 2-3 years time
Remember sun angle and direction varies through the year. This is a handy calculator which uses GPS coordinates to visually show you where a shadow will lie at any location on earth any time of day. It also animates to show how shadows travel through a day. Very cool and very useful if you play around with it.

AMAZING!

I was tracking it by eye lol. And taking photos from my bedroom to try and remember the sun. This is absolutely fabulous.

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 02:03:57 PM »

AMAZING!

I was tracking it by eye lol. And taking photos from my bedroom to try and remember the sun. This is absolutely fabulous.

There are several smartphone apps that show you the position of the sun using the phone camera, so you can see exactly where it will be.
Some names: Sun seeker, Sun Surveyor, Sun Position.
I like Sun Seeker but it's a paid app withou demo or lite version.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 04:39:26 PM »
mycorrhiza cannot be seen by naked eye, the white stuff is just some kind of mold.

smartdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 06:51:42 PM »
e

I don't know what is available in USA. I often hear about edulis frederick. In Italy we have Edulis Colvilli that produce big fruits.
You can use big poles and wires in the middle to sustain them. You could use also some wire from the house to a pole in the garden and create a sort of diagonal roof.
You could also use a fast growing tree and let it climb there.
You can get some ideas here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4woqw1zicfk

Hey! Guess what, got a passion fruit plant! Which variety is this one?
Visited a friend couple days ago and said I was looking for passion fruit and ding ding, her monther in law didn’t want hers. Winning.

Should I move it to a bigger pot, my back space isn’t finished for planting yet. Please advise. Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:53:34 PM by smartdriver »