Author Topic: blackberry in south florida?  (Read 15476 times)

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
blackberry in south florida?
« on: April 22, 2012, 04:27:40 PM »
Does anyone have any blackberries growing in south Florida? Do they need an acid bed like blueberries?
Thanks,
Mike

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: blackberry in south florida?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »
I can't really comment on south Florida, but my blackberries (Black Satin and Triple Crown) are planted in alkaline PH 8.5 clay and still are practically invasive weeds with no chlorosis as long as I give them a yearly fertilization for micro-nutrients.  They do prefer acidic soil, but they certainly don't seem to require it.

Kevin

natsgarden123

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:09:34 PM »
I bought some blackberry plants at home depot for $5 -  no variety was listed- they grew like weeds ( still growing after a lull in the winter) with lots of nice fruit-

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »
I have a thornless variety called "Navaho" but it is not too productive and requires trellising. (I've gotten about 5 blackberries a year)  There is another variety called "Brazo" which has thorns but is suppose to be more productive.  It also grows as a bush thus not require trellising.
Adiel

natsgarden123

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
Lowes sells the mysore raspberry- its 7.99$ - I bought one about 6 weeks ago and its quadrupled in size with a whole lot of fruit on it - I haven't  tasted it yet.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
Might want to try boysenberry? I tried a bunch of different varieties of blackberry and raspberry in Inland Orange County. All did margin at best, the only one which thrives and is unaffected by the heat of summer has been the boysenberry. Must warn you though, boysenberry can get weedy!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 06:51:03 PM »
Lowes sells the mysore raspberry- its 7.99$ - I bought one about 6 weeks ago and its quadrupled in size with a whole lot of fruit on it - I haven't  tasted it yet.

Mysore raspberry will definitely fruit for you. Fruits even here in the tropics. It's good, but not great. The best thing about it is it's not terribly invasive like the blackberries that spread from the roots and are almost impossible to get rid of once established! Mysore only spreads by canes touching ground and re rooting. So if you keep them trellised they are very manageable. Do have sharp thorns.
Oscar

natsgarden123

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »

Mysore raspberry will definitely fruit for you. Fruits even here in the tropics. It's good, but not great. The best thing about it is it's not terribly invasive like the blackberries that spread from the roots and are almost impossible to get rid of once established! Mysore only spreads by canes touching ground and re rooting. So if you keep them trellised they are very manageable. Do have sharp thorns.

Incredibly sharp !!  Its hard to even touch them. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 03:15:51 AM »
Mysore thorns are hooked and that's what gets you and keeps you. But if trellised it's easy to avoid the thorns.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 07:34:59 AM »
Excalibur also sells raspberry.
- Rob

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 07:47:24 AM »

Lowes has the mysore raspberry for $7.99.  I doubt you can beat that price anywhere.
Adiel

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 08:45:12 AM »

Lowes has the mysore raspberry for $7.99.  I doubt you can beat that price anywhere.
A) - support your local growers
B) - quality over quantity (quantity referring to price)
C) - I know what I am getting at a local nursery...and I don't care about a one year guarantee as that is a waste of time/money to have to possibly replace/replant
- Rob

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »
What is the best trellis type for the mysore? Also are they tolerant to salt spray? Has anybody tasted the brazos blackberry?

natsgarden123

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »

A) - support your local growers
B) - quality over quantity (quantity referring to price)
C) - I know what I am getting at a local nursery...and I don't care about a one year guarantee as that is a waste of time/money to have to possibly replace/replant

I agree with you Rob 100 %
-I figured $7.99 , I was there anyway..was hard to pass up.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 11:10:32 AM »
Exactly for $7.99 its hard to pass up.  Especially if you know that there is only one rasberry that grows down here so its the same no matter where you buy it.   ;)
Adiel

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »
Exactly for $7.99 its hard to pass up.  Especially if you know that there is only one rasberry that grows down here so its the same no matter where you buy it.   ;)
Sorry, there are at least two varieties that wil produce in the Southern part of the State, Mysore and Heritage.
- Rob

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 03:50:04 PM »
Sorry also, I am referring to the common one: Mysore.
Adiel

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »
Has anyone tried bababerry in South Florida? Suppose to be a heat adapted raspberry that produces well in Southern California.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »
Stop shopping at home depot and visit a local nursery and you will see that Heritage is also common.

Why people don't say, "Thanks, I didn't know that" instead of defending their incorrect statements is beyond me...then again, I guess I am just being mean and need to take a pill as some like to say.  Well, I am sticking to my guns, like it or not...I think some need to grow up and learn...

By the way, don't take my word for it nor the fact that the Heritage can be purchased at nurseries in SFla, the following is from the University of Florida (maybe they don't know what they are talking about either):

"Raspberries are not generally recommended for the southeastern United States and are discussed only very briefly here. 'Dorman Red' is the only raspberry cultivar recommended for trial in Florida when grown as a perennial crop; however, berry flavor is poor to fair. 'Heritage' raspberry has been grown as an annual crop during the winter in southern parts of the state after it has received its chilling requirement. "
- Rob

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 01:27:12 AM »
How about some Thornless Blackberries for South Florida.

These are from a friend who gave them to me. She lives in Coral Gables. Has had fruit now three years in a row both on her property and also mine in Davie. She never knew the cultivar name. My best guess is Apache or Triple Crown. Any Ideas?

Pepe's Fruit Trees
 8)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 05:09:46 AM »
Stop shopping at home depot and visit a local nursery and you will see that Heritage is also common.

Why people don't say, "Thanks, I didn't know that" instead of defending their incorrect statements is beyond me...then again, I guess I am just being mean and need to take a pill as some like to say.  Well, I am sticking to my guns, like it or not...I think some need to grow up and learn...

By the way, don't take my word for it nor the fact that the Heritage can be purchased at nurseries in SFla, the following is from the University of Florida (maybe they don't know what they are talking about either):

"Raspberries are not generally recommended for the southeastern United States and are discussed only very briefly here. 'Dorman Red' is the only raspberry cultivar recommended for trial in Florida when grown as a perennial crop; however, berry flavor is poor to fair. 'Heritage' raspberry has been grown as an annual crop during the winter in southern parts of the state after it has received its chilling requirement. "

Rob, can you please describe flavor of Heritage raspberry versus Mysore? Which do you like more?
Thanks
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 05:13:39 AM »
What is the best trellis type for the mysore? Also are they tolerant to salt spray? Has anybody tasted the brazos blackberry?

I use a 2 wire set up, similar to way grapes are trained. But many different set ups work well, like trellising on a fence or just using a wooden trellis. Main thing is to prune long canes because if they touch the ground they will reroot and start another plant. Don't know if the Mysore is salt spray tolerant.
Oscar

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »
Jason: The thornless Blackberry variety is called "Navaho".

Rob: Thanks, I didnt know that.
Adiel

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 08:57:26 AM »
Jason: The thornless Blackberry variety is called "Navaho".

Rob: Thanks, I didnt know that.

How are you able to tell between the different thornless varieties? Do the fruit all look different?

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 12:58:40 AM »
I hope not because that means it is probably got a patent on it. Sure does look like it. My gut tells me it's a much older variety. Well we shall see.

Thanks for the info.

Jason "Pepe" ;D