Author Topic: Lychee question  (Read 1749 times)

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
Lychee question
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
My sweetheart lychee is blooming heavily for the first time, it's been in the ground five years.  My question for the experts is when should I begin watering it again?  It has had no irrigation since September and I don't know if watering it now that its flowering will enhance fruit set or abort the flowers in favor of vegetative growth.  Thanks.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
According to U of Florida....
" Watering during fruit set through harvest may enhance fruit quality and yields."

http://edistt.ifas.ufl.edu/mg051] [url]http://edistt.ifas.ufl.edu/mg051 [/url]

I have a SH Lychee I planted in November, 2012, that has bloomed as well.  Been watering every other day and the blooms and tiny fruit seem to be holding.  Kind of trial and error for me.
JC

ofdsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Thanks.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
It sort of depends on your situation.  I have large lychee trees with roots that reach well into the water table....which in my yard is at around 4 to 4.5 feet. They get and need no irrigation from me.  However, my 5 year old trees have shown some drought stress in previous years and I think may have accounted for poor fruit set on my Sweetheart trees.  This year I am irrigating and I am getting better fruit set.  But it also appears to me that I have many more female flowers this year for some reason also.  So....who knows. I would water when in doubt.....it can only help....not hurt.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

ofdsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
Ok great thanks I'll water it then and hopefully get to taste some SH lychees this summer.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »
Usually the recommendation is to start watering when fruits start to set,and are pea sized, not when it starts flowering.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk