Author Topic: paradise nuts  (Read 1046 times)

jlohr

• Belize
    • View Profile
paradise nuts
« on: February 22, 2020, 12:48:36 PM »
Yesterday I was lucky enough to find a mature paradise nut pod with 27 seeds in it.  I believe it is Lecythis zabucajo but not sure.  I have been trying to get seeds for this for quite some time.   
Does anyone have experience germinating these nuts?  Can I just plant directly or do they need to dry a little or be scarified?

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
Re: paradise nuts
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 05:57:57 AM »
Wow. Looks very health.

Pod is very good candle mold. I am growing one. in my memory, I used zipperback germination.

But growing speed is very slow in our country..

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »
It looks like L. zabucayo but I am not that familiar with other species in the genus so would not stake my life on it.  Reportedly, scarification is helpful to improve germination / rate of germination but I think that danger of damaging the seed in the process probably offsets any advantages it would bring.  I think with the ambient temp you'd have in Belize, just plant them & you should get good germination.  Plant them anywhere from 1/2 covered to thinly covered by soil (if you look under a paradise nut tree, you'll see many "volunteers" sprouting with this sort of soil coverage).  As Faldon mentioned, they seem to be slow growing (but perhaps they kick into gear once they reach a certain size?).

I have not seen the monkey pots used for candles before but they are great to mount orchids on.  One guy here uses them frequently and everything he grows on them looks outstanding (although where he lives also contributes to a great degree).  A couple years back, we awarded a CCE/AOS (highest cultural award from the American Orchid Society) for a Paraphalenopsis he was growing on one.  So, there is another great use for the pods the nuts grow in.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 02:19:37 AM »
They grow faster once they are a couple feet tall. Watch out as they are susceptible to root rot. Plant in soil that drains very fast.
Oscar