Author Topic: Blueberry Pollinator  (Read 1218 times)

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
Blueberry Pollinator
« on: May 18, 2021, 03:57:44 PM »
I have a few Southern Highbush Emerald blueberry plants I need to get planted. Do they require another variety to pollinate?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Blueberry Pollinator
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 04:10:28 PM »
Most blueberries need cross pollination. It doesn't need to be the same type. I see bees hitting mine hard usually and they fly from bush to bush. I have 7 plants and get awesome fruit set.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 05:28:43 PM »
Nope, you need a pollinator plant. You just need bees. I have 8 varieties I started off with 3. I have not seen any difference in yields
except when using more irrigation, more fertilizer or having more bees. Bees make all the difference.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 08:04:59 PM »
Primarily Bumble Bees here in the Southeastern US...

Kevin

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 01:32:33 PM by Kevin Jones »

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 08:39:28 PM »
Not many bumblebees around here but plenty of honey bees thank God.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 01:43:21 AM »
Here I also have alot of honey bees, never seen them on my blueberries flowers. They may just not have found them yet....

Grow Tropicals

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »
You also need to make sure you have the proper PH soil for Blueberries.  They like a lower PH (~4.5) than most soils so you'll likely need to add sulfur and use a fertilizer for acid-loving plants.  Because of this, I keep my Blueberries in containers where it's easier to control PH.
Small South Florida Urban Permaculture Food Forest with ~50 different species of tropical edible perennial plants

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 10:46:33 AM »
Primarily Bumble Bees here in the Southeaster US...

Kevin

I'm in the southwest and the only bees I see on my blueberry plants are bumblebees, and likewise the blueberry plants seem to be the only plant they really like.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »
You also need to make sure you have the proper PH soil for Blueberries.  They like a lower PH (~4.5) than most soils so you'll likely need to add sulfur and use a fertilizer for acid-loving plants.  Because of this, I keep my Blueberries in containers where it's easier to control PH.

It took me a long time to dial in blueberries PH wise. I use 5ml of extremely strong phosphoric acid per 2.5 gallon watering can.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 11:44:21 AM »

It took me a long time to dial in blueberries PH wise. I use 5ml of extremely strong phosphoric acid per 2.5 gallon watering can.
I wonder if I should buy this too, just found a supplier for it. It says its a 85% concentrate. Will pass it for now since I added sulfur two months ago....

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 12:11:48 PM »

I wonder if I should buy this too, just found a supplier for it. It says its a 85% concentrate. Will pass it for now since I added sulfur two months ago....

Depends on your water PH. Mine is extremely alkaline at 8.3ph so I use the phosphoric acid every time I water AND top dress with sulfur. It's really hard to get blueberries right when your water is like mine.

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 12:26:13 PM »
My plants are going into a raised planter filled with a mix of topsoil, soil acidifier and pine bark nuggets. Because I have "city punch" for water I add an ounce or two of white vinegar to every other watering from a 2 gallon can. So far the vinegar/water mix has kept the foliage green and growing pretty strong.

Can someone recommend a fertilizer brand that will help keep the PH low?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »
My plants are going into a raised planter filled with a mix of topsoil, soil acidifier and pine bark nuggets. Because I have "city punch" for water I add an ounce or two of white vinegar to every other watering from a 2 gallon can. So far the vinegar/water mix has kept the foliage green and growing pretty strong.

Can someone recommend a fertilizer brand that will help keep the PH low?

I found vinegar extremely weak and honestly a pain compared to a few ml in a pipette. I needed at least 3/4 cup to get 2 gallons down to appropriate levels!

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 01:34:24 PM »
Don't plant them anywhere near concrete because it leaches lime into the soil... not good for Blueberries.

Kevin

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 02:15:07 PM »
They're going into a raised planter in the middle of the yard.

K-Rimes, where can I get some phosphorus?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 12:34:53 AM »

Depends on your water PH. Mine is extremely alkaline at 8.3ph so I use the phosphoric acid every time I water AND top dress with sulfur. It's really hard to get blueberries right when your water is like mine.

My well water as far as I remember when testing was around 7 and slightly above. Okay ,I will then buy 1 liter of this ,I thought that it could make an reaction with the sulfur in the soil , but if you are using it with sulfur then I should be good too ...

Don't plant them anywhere near concrete because it leaches lime into the soil... not good for Blueberries.

Kevin

when I did my blueberry bed ,I had one side of it that was next to a concrete supporting base. I just placed some nylon and fixed it with the soil, to stop the lime leeching into the bb's medium.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk