Author Topic: Jakfruit 2016  (Read 20235 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Jakfruit 2016
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 05:08:15 PM »
Wow, so many varieties fruiting for the first time. Going to be a tasty summer !

We should organize our own jackfruit festival since Fairchild's probably isnt going to do one.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 08:52:13 AM »
Here's a video I took this morning of my tree and the crazy theory I have: https://youtu.be/QEpDLc-cEcw
And another pick of some of the fruit on it.

-joep450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 09:05:06 AM »
Here is the thread when I first pruned the bottom branches and thinned out the canopy this was july 6 2015 http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16706.msg212230#msg212230 I did this originally with thought it would control the mold rhizopus also of note it had never once produced a female flower or fruited, since then the tree has been no stop in flower and producing female flowers. Coincidence?

-joep450

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 11:58:59 PM »
This sounds like a good idea.  My yard could be a stop on the tour.

Wow, so many varieties fruiting for the first time. Going to be a tasty summer !

We should organize our own jackfruit festival since Fairchild's probably isnt going to do one.

Joe,
Interesting theory and thanks for the video.  So far I have taken the lazy approach and I pretty much let my trees do their thing.  Now that most of my trees have been in the ground for 3 years, I will need to get more active with the loppers to try to get them back down to the 12ft mark. Maybe I will thin the interior branches out once a year too. I have noticed some trees doing this on their own.  I honestly have mixed feelings about letting my smaller trees fruit. I think your tree is big enough to let it fruit.   If I was able to buy an NS1 or a Cristella somewhere, I would clip my fruit off those trees.  Rob and the docs published by University of Florida warn that young jakfruit trees get stunted and can fruit themselves to death.  My curiosity has defeated my better judgement!

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg370

Fruit thining.  The number of fruit per tree or major limb should be limited to 1 on young trees, as heavy fruit loads have been observed to result in limb decline or death and tree stunting. On mature trees, limiting the number of fruit per major limb may enhance the quality and size of remaining fruit
Here is the thread when I first pruned the bottom branches and thinned out the canopy this was july 6 2015 http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16706.msg212230#msg212230 I did this originally with thought it would control the mold rhizopus also of note it had never once produced a female flower or fruited, since then the tree has been no stop in flower and producing female flowers. Coincidence?

-joep450
Brandon

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 11:28:06 PM »
I scanned my bangkok lemon for branches with fruit overload and I found a 1 inch branch had 3 fruit stalks with a total of 5 fruits. I trimmed the two stalks farthest from the trunk and left only 1 fruit attached very close to the trunk. I found a second skinny branch with 2 fruiting stalks so I  trimmed one.  Females are still emerging on this tree. It is crazy.

Brandon

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 01:18:46 AM »
Any comments on the progress of Excalibur Red young trees? This is my most desired variety along with Bangkok Lemon. While reliability of Bangkok Lemon has been well established, nothing much known about this one apart from bsbullie's recommendations and awesome color juicy looking flesh I saw in a single photo ever posted here.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »
Any comments on the progress of Excalibur Red young trees? This is my most desired variety along with Bangkok Lemon. While reliability of Bangkok Lemon has been well established, nothing much known about this one apart from bsbullie's recommendations and awesome color juicy looking flesh I saw in a single photo ever posted here.

My ex-red is doing well, and getting established but is only  about 5 ft tall.  I planted it roughly a year ago as a 3g so it will be a couple years before it fruits.  It is doing better than my Deng sera/Red morning though, FWIW
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
My Excalibur Red tree is now 9ft tall by 4ft wide.  It is a moderate speed grower in my yard.  It did not grow at all in 2014 but that was probably from lack of water during the dry times of the year and cheapo 8-3-9 fertilizer.  I swapped out sprinkler heads and changed to a slower (2 - 3 month) release fertilizer and it nearly doubled in 2015.  It has a few flower stalks with male flowers.  I think it is unlikely my tree will fruit this year.

Brandon

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »

Here's my Excalibur red jackfruit.  It's fruiting for the first time and has already set five fruit, I'm going to limit it at three or four fruit this year.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »
My Excalibur Red tree is now 9ft tall by 4ft wide.  It is a moderate speed grower in my yard.  It did not grow at all in 2014 but that was probably from lack of water during the dry times of the year and cheapo 8-3-9 fertilizer.  I swapped out sprinkler heads and changed to a slower (2 - 3 month) release fertilizer and it nearly doubled in 2015.  It has a few flower stalks with male flowers.  I think it is unlikely my tree will fruit this year.

Ok, thanks. Does sound like as moderate, since you have tons of other varieties of similar age and choose not to report as fruiting yet. By the way, I need to apologize for some something I said almost two years ago at mango tasting :). I think something along the lines: "I don't care about jackfruit because I prefer chempedak..."  Little did I know that I'm sitting in front of the two biggest jackfruit enthusiast in S. FL.  Oops.. :). I tasted couple awesome varieties since, I changed my opinion about the fruit. So now, I'm very much into "jackfruit business"  :).

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »

Here's my Excalibur red jackfruit.  It's fruiting for the first time and has already set five fruit, I'm going to limit it at three or four fruit this year.

Looks great, how old is the tree? Please post pictures when ripens.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
My gold nugget has fruited one year and the fruit was as I have been told to expect less than wonderful. The first couple of years it flowered mostly male flowers erupted  then later on female flowers.

This year it is flowering both simultaneously from the ground to 7' up into the branches... keeping my fingers crossed.

My Bangkok lemon bought as a 3 gal and planted 2 years ago is still too small to fruit.

Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 01:20:30 PM »

Ok, thanks. Does sound like as moderate, since you have tons of other varieties of similar age and choose not to report as fruiting yet. By the way, I need to apologize for some something I said almost two years ago at mango tasting :). I think something along the lines: "I don't care about jackfruit because I prefer chempedak..."  Little did I know that I'm sitting in front of the two biggest jackfruit enthusiast in S. FL.  Oops.. :). I tasted couple awesome varieties since, I changed my opinion about the fruit. So now, I'm very much into "jackfruit business"  :).

Mine, which is now planted out at a friend's property, was a pretty vigorous upright grower.
- Rob

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
If I recall correctly it's been in the ground around two and a half to three years.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2016, 03:45:27 PM »
Mine, which is now planted out at a friend's property, was a pretty vigorous upright grower.

Ofdsurfer's tree proves your point. Should have known better not to judge variety from one sample.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2016, 03:47:55 PM »
Thanks for the observation Rob and thanks for the picture of the fruiting tree ofdsurfer!  My tree is definitely has an upright growth habit. Maybe a good choice for someone that wants a jackfruit tree but only has a tight spot available for planting.  I have never seen an older tree though.

I have a gold nugget tree that grew super quick at my rental house but it is growing slow at my new house.  The tree at my new house is a tree I grafted the tree from the rental house tree so there is no debating that they are not the same variety. Who knows what is causing the difference? Maybe the different growth rates are caused by the rootstock, different level of care, disease, harmful insects, soil, water, and other environmental factors.  The Excalibur red is planted 25ft from the Bangkok lemon that is growing vigorously and 15 ft from a seedling that is my largest, most vigorous jackfruit tree.  Part of the fun is seeing how varieties perform for me and how it may differ from the "conclusions" formed by others, notably less fun when the differences are negative.  ;)

Brandon

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2016, 10:00:40 PM »
Jackfruit trees with fruit:

Borneo Red,
Bangkok Lemon, and
J-31

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2016, 09:04:27 AM »
this is the 2nd year in a row i had gottena  bit lazy
and had mis-calculated the temps.
the "low" wasnt supposed to get below 38F, so , since the plants were somewhat protected
by other plants, and next to the greenhouse, i figured it wouldnt get under 40F.

obviously it must have gotten a bit colder than that.
i think the official low for my city was 34F that night.

Anyway, my 2 Jacks lost their leaves
and are just now starting to push out a few buds.
i have 1 in the ground and 1 in a container.

i had seeds for J31 and golden pillow, but, im not sure which is which.

the plants are almost 3 yrs old. i think it takes them several months to re-group
after winter and growing new leaves.
at this rate it may be 10yrs before i get fruit. - if i can keep them alive...

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2016, 10:54:30 AM »
Today I found a new tree flowering a female for the first time.  I bought this from the Broward Rare Fruit and Veg council sale.  Echo is what the label says.  I was not able to find any information on this "variety".  Anybody know anything about it or how it tastes?

Brandon

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2016, 02:22:32 PM »
Today I found a new tree flowering a female for the first time.  I bought this from the Broward Rare Fruit and Veg council sale.  Echo is what the label says.  I was not able to find any information on this "variety".  Anybody know anything about it or how it tastes?

Try giving Hopkins a call: http://www.hopkinstropicalfruitnursery.com/

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2016, 08:56:07 PM »
Right after I posted the Echo picture, I used the Hopkins Nursery website contact page to request information on the variety.  I just received a response from Billy Hopkins.  He stated that Hopkins Nursery started to propagate it based on the recommendation of the head Echo property manager who Billy considered a reliable source. Billy recommended I contact Echo for further information. The quest continues...

Brandon

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2016, 09:25:54 PM »

My Bangkok Lemon has six fruits on it right now. Yesterday. I noticed that there are shoots coming out near the bottom of the tree; that is where I had two (not so good) fruits on it last year.  The tree was planted in March 2013.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2016, 12:40:23 AM »
Right after I posted the Echo picture, I used the Hopkins Nursery website contact page to request information on the variety.  I just received a response from Billy Hopkins.  He stated that Hopkins Nursery started to propagate it based on the recommendation of the head Echo property manager who Billy considered a reliable source. Billy recommended I contact Echo for further information. The quest continues...

This forum member works for Echo's nursery: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=4194

He may be able to help you get an answer quickly.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2016, 06:53:28 AM »

My Bangkok Lemon has six fruits on it right now. Yesterday. I noticed that there are shoots coming out near the bottom of the tree; that is where I had two (not so good) fruits on it last year.  The tree was planted in March 2013.

What size tree was it when you planted it?   Chances are fruit quality was not great due to young age of the tree.  There are other variables that could lead to quality issues,  including but not limited to climate and proper harvest time.
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2016, 07:43:23 AM »

It was a three gallon tree but grew quickly. The fruits have formed higher up the tree this time, which makes me hopeful that the quality will be better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk